Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Peyton

The Falcons are Close to Putting this Together

101 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Peyton said:

A lot of people are choosing negativity this week.  I can understand the reasons why.  It's been a bit of a tough go this season.  Even the two recent wins, in many ways, were not aesthetically pleasing.  I've been accused of being too negative in the past, but the truth is that I am very analytical in nature, and I just call it the way I see it at all times.  I can see a lot of reasons to be optimistic.

1. Matt Ryan is playing at his highest level.  He's making good decisions at almost all times.  If he had not underthrown a few balls to Julio this year, there would be basically nothing to nit pick about his performance.  He is ready to carry this team.

2. In Julio, Calvin, Mohammed, and an emerging Hooper, Ryan has all the tools he needs to put this team on his back.  The Falcons can't run but the backs we have, Coleman and Smith, I believe can be nearly unstoppable in the passing game, considering all that the defense has to account for.

3. People are concerned about the offensive line, specifically the Guards, but I believe these two Guards are capable and will be playing with an extreme chip on their shoulder.  We've been here before with these two guys.  They can get it done.

4. Pending a report on Senat for this week, the Defensive line is completely healthy for the first time all season.  This is a D-line that I think a lot of our fans are selling short.  When they are able to put the best pieces in their together, I think they are a pretty formidable bunch.  Right now it looks like the Falcons are going to be able to do that.

5. Carter and Oluokun are having their snaps increased and playing better game by game.  Duke is having his snaps necessarily decreased, and I think he played better in the last game as a result.  If they all are not given too much to think about in the game plan, I think it increases their proficiency.  I think we can see that happening in stretches.

6. Kazee is a playmaker and his play is getting more consistent as the season progresses.  The other Safety position has been a disaster with Jordan Richards, but Neasman is taking that position away from him, and I think playing very well.  I think Neasman made one of the great unheralded plays against the Giants when he sniffed out OBJ's route on the 4th and 1.  It was a crucial play and not one that I think Richards would have made.  He's the guy, he can do it.  I think we'll see him get almost all the snaps this week at that position.

7.  There isn't any candy coating the performance of these corners so far this season, but these guys have been up against potential HOF WRs every week for the last 5 weeks.  It's been an absurd run of talent they have faced at that position.  Things are calming down for them in the next few weeks.  The Redskins don't have a single WR with more than a 65 yard game all season.  I think these guys can get their confidence back in the next 3 weeks and be the corners we all have seen them be in the past.  I do not think these guys physical skills have diminished.

8. The defense is kind of coming together without him, but Deion Jones potential return is just two weeks away.  With some guys coming around already, his insertion back into the middle can really be the jolt this defense needs to fully restore it's pride and be a serious unit once again.  I truly believe that.

This team suffered some injuries and last minute losses early this season that could have been a knockout punch.  This team was on the mat at 1-4.  They are getting up.  They were wobbly when they were getting back up, but the bye week has given them the chance to go back to the corner and get some water splashed in their face, and I think this team is ready to come out fighting with all they got on Sunday.  And after the Falcons beat the Redskins on Sunday, they are fully back in this fight at 4-4.

I don't think now is the time to give up on this team.  They aren't ready to quit.

Senat is on the depth chart for the skins game so he should be good

8 minutes ago, Malachore said:

I thought I read something that Debo couldn't return till Week 9 but had to be back practicing for 21 days before being activated.

No. That’s not what the rule says. 

1. Player can’t practice for 6 weeks after going to IR. 

2. The first day Player returns to Practice after 6 weeks, the 21 day rule clock starts. The team has 21 days to decide the Player can play rest of the year or to shut him down. 

Flyin' In DC likes this

11 minutes ago, Malachore said:

I thought I read something that Debo couldn't return till Week 9 but had to be back practicing for 21 days before being activated.

When I said two weeks to go I meant he will miss two more games.  He is eligible to practice after the Redskins game.  He can come back for the Cowboys game.  I don't think there is any rule about how much he has to practice before playing. 

5 minutes ago, Peyton said:

When I said two weeks to go I meant he will miss two more games.  He is eligible to practice after the Redskins game.  He can come back for the Cowboys game.  I don't think there is any rule about how much he has to practice before playing. 

21 day rule is for player safety and nothing to do with how much practice before playing. The team has 21 days from first day of practice to keep the player on roster or shut him down. GB did that with Rodgers last year. Put him back on IR before 21 days. 

7.  There isn't any candy coating the performance of these corners so far this season, but these guys have been up against potential HOF WRs every week for the last 5 weeks.  It's been an absurd run of talent they have faced at that position.  Things are calming down for them in the next few weeks.  The Redskins don't have a single WR with more than a 65 yard game all season.  I think these guys can get their confidence back in the next 3 weeks and be the corners we all have seen them be in the past.  I do not think these guys physical skills have diminished.

-

Agreed, but...If they go to DC and continue to stink up the field, we'll know we have serious problems back there. 

I fear that to be the case. 

1 minute ago, octoslash said:

Agreed, but...If they go to DC and continue to stink up the field, we'll know we have serious problems back there. 

I fear that to be the case. 

I don't think the Washington WRs are going to hurt us this week.

Now the TEs........that could be a concern.

Just keep winning and it will solve all our problems. I concur with DQ that we played "our style" against the Giants. The defense was rallying to the ball and the offense was very strong. It was the first game in awhile that I have truly enjoyed watching! I think we are beginning to play a winning style of football. Now, I think that should have started at the first pre-season game but that is another matter. Just play better!

The thing with the defense of s that we are seeing spurts of really good defense.....even vs the saints after the inital td drive the defense held them to fgs and gave the offense a chace to get more momentum.....something that we could.mot seize.

Even during the steelers game the defense made 2 strait 3 and outs and caused an int to make it a 13-10 game at half.

The bangles game...the secod half the defense shut them down until the final drive....and I still think we got hosed on the "incompletion"  aka sack fumble that would have essentially ended the game..

So defense has had spurts where it played well....we just need to see it more consistently

B3TD, Falconsfan567 and Bigbenright like this

9 minutes ago, HOYLE said:

Just keep winning and it will solve all our problems. I concur with DQ that we played "our style" against the Giants. The defense was rallying to the ball and the offense was very strong. It was the first game in awhile that I have truly enjoyed watching! I think we are beginning to play a winning style of football. Now, I think that should have started at the first pre-season game but that is another matter. Just play better!

I said it after the Giants game that it looked like we had a whole different defense out there.

So what's weird is we usually start fast out of the gate under Quinn with those 5-1 5-0 starts then we lose 3 or 4 in the middle. I think this time will be opposite we started with the losing streak early and now we are gonna pick it up.

You know I kind of feel the same way.. the team has stuck together and the defense as DQ noted is starting to play team ball. If our O line can hold up is the big question for me. I didn't think we were all that strong up front even with the starters, but they are the position group that is key in my opinion.

2. In Julio, Calvin, Mohammed, and an emerging Hooper, Ryan has all the tools he needs to put this team on his back.  The Falcons can't run but the backs we have, Coleman and Smith, I believe can be nearly unstoppable in the passing game, considering all that the defense has to account for.

3. People are concerned about the offensive line, specifically the Guards, but I believe these two Guards are capable and will be playing with an extreme chip on their shoulder.  We've been here before with these two guys.  They can get it done.

We will not get the most from the many "weapons" in this offense until the OL performs to expectations.  The run offense is putrid, thanks to poor blocking.  The passing game is no where near what it could be because the pass blocking is mediocre (at its best).  

Matthews is doing his job, as is Mack.  The rest of the crew is nothing more than a disappointment.  

Da_Truth likes this

1 hour ago, likeriver said:

Yea right. The day the Falcons put it together is the day I get laid. 

Where you at? sending you a $2 ho in a few.

45 minutes ago, etherdome said:

We will not get the most from the many "weapons" in this offense until the OL performs to expectations.  The run offense is putrid, thanks to poor blocking.  The passing game is no where near what it could be because the pass blocking is mediocre (at its best).  

Matthews is doing his job, as is Mack.  The rest of the crew is nothing more than a disappointment.  

Meanwhile, Ryan is 5th in the league in passing and has only had 2 interceptions.  Yes, I know he is one of the most sacked QBs in the league, but he's still playing at an MVP level.

Peyton and Schwarzwald like this

Op makes a really good point about Tru and Alford. They have indeed faced some VERY tough competition in the last month...Michael Thomas, AJ green, Antonio Brown, Smith-Schuster, Mike Evans, DeSean Jackson, and now OBJ.

Thats about as elite as it will get in terms of opponents

Schwarzwald, Rhodaric and Peyton like this

lol pretty positive for you OP....however you're right with that assessment. The problem is we started 1-4 and dug a hole that will be hard to get out of...it can happen but we have a TUFF road to hoe. I guess it's possible to go 7-2 or 6-3 and have a chance to make the POs. We MUST win the next two IMO to have a snow ball's chance in he//.

Peyton and Bigbenright like this

1 hour ago, slick0ne said:

Where you at? sending you a $2 ho in a few.

10 minutes after you posted this I got sent nudes by a random number. I'm set to hit it tonight. Thanks bro.

Btw, Do you think she'll accept 8 quarters? Trying to clean out my change jar