Deion Jones nearing possible return

birdz4i

ByJAMES PARKS Oct 29, 8:16 AM

The Atlanta Falcons are coming back from their bye week on the heels of a two game win streak and looking ahead to two more winnable games that could get their season back on track, and now the team is also hoping to get one of their best players back on the field.

Middle linebacker Deion Jones could finally get back on the field in the near future, now officially eligible to return to the team in just two weeks’ time. From now to then, the Falcons have to play two games, on the road against the Washington Redskins and then the Cleveland Browns.

Then, Jones could be in the rotation for Atlanta’s Nov. 18 home game against the Dallas Cowboys.

“The part of the process is on target, in terms of what the doctor’s guidelines are,” Falcons coach Dan Quinn said recently. “As we’re getting close to there, I’ll give you an update. But at this point, he’s onto an excellent trajectory of where we expected him to be at this point.”

Jones was the first player on the team to be placed on their injured reserve list after suffering a foot injury in their regular season opener on Sept. 6 against the Philadelphia Eagles, but was given a designation that would allow him to return in eight games’ time plus the team’s bye week.

The absence of Jones in the middle of the Falcons’ defensive formation has been as costly as was predicted initially. Since his departure from the middle linebacker spot, the Falcons have had consistent trouble limiting ball carriers on short and medium gains, have suffered particularly against running backs making catches out of the backfield, and put together have the sixth most missed tackles in football this season.

Since Jones was lost, the Falcons have tried a few combinations to replace him, including signing and then cutting Corey Nelson following an injury, signing Bruce Carter, starting rookie draft pick Foyesade Oluokun at the position, and slotting starting weak side linebacker Duke Riley and starting strong side linebacker De’Vondre Campbell more towards the middle at times. Atlanta has even featured some looks which featured defensive end Vic Beasley dropping into pass coverage to help.

Jones is one of six starting players the Falcons had to put on injured reserve this season, with free safety Ricardo Allen, strong safety Keanu Neal, left guard Andy Levitre, guard Brandon Fusco, and running back Devonta Freeman all joining him. Of those six, Jones and Freeman are the two that realistically have a chance to return to action this season, and Quinn has stated that he believes Freeman will be healthy enough to return to the field in time for Atlanta’s Week 16 game at the Carolina Panthers.

The 23 year old Jones burst onto the scene again in his second NFL season, dominating the Falcons’ resurgent defensive effort in 2017, leading the team with 138 tackles and three interceptions, breaking up nine passes, and racking up 10 tackles for loss.

The fast moving middle linebacker was a playmaker all through the season, and proved a pivotal figure as the team found themselves back in the playoff hunt after their mid season slump, recording the end zone interception against Drew Brees in the Falcons’ first meeting against New Orleans that officially put Atlanta back into the NFC playoff picture.

Jones’ expert play making in the middle of the field has come at something of a discount to the team these past two years. For the 2018 season, the linebacker is scheduled to make just over $863,000, earning him a spot in our list of the five biggest bargains on the Falcons’ roster. An increase to over $1 million is due in the 2019 season.

https://247sports.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/Article/Deion-Jones-nearing-Atlanta-Falcons-return-123957262/

8 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

We need him and it won't be soon enough. These next two games are winnable but by no means necessarily easy games. 

I suspect we'll have our hands full with the Skins front four, outdoors on the road.

Yep, we don't have any "easy" games with our current record.

Team needs to be in playoff mode now "do or die"

While I love Debo he's not a miracle worker.

He's not going to be able to do much about coverage breakdowns behind him and if the dline can't keep olinemen from getting to the second level he's going to be limited.

Maybe this offseason the front office will realize, again, they need to focus on the trenches.

35 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

He's not going to be able to do much about coverage breakdowns behind him and if the dline can't keep olinemen from getting to the second level he's going to be limited.

Maybe this offseason the front office will realize, again, they need to focus on the trenches.

Regardless, I'd rather have more experience out there on the defense.

Compared to all of the others we've been trying out there, he'll make more plays than not.

3 minutes ago, Statick said:

Regardless, I'd rather have more experience out there on the defense.

Compared to all of the others we've been trying out there, he'll make more plays than not.

I agree but there's still going to be problems with the D.

He's not going to fix everything. 

Hopefully he'll be able to limit passes to the backs and help with the run but there will still be problems aplenty 

Just now, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Hopefully he'll be able to limit passes to the backs and help with the run but there will still be problems aplenty 

No, not everything, but even if more plays go out to the secondary with him being in there, it'll keep them on their toes.

3 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

He's the glue for this defense, he will do a lot for the confidence of a lot of different players, and confidence is everything.

29 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

I think Deion Jones is the one player that can actually make this defense go from bad, to average. He's easily the most valuable player on this defense. 

22 minutes ago, Peyton said:

He's the glue for this defense, he will do a lot for the confidence of a lot of different players, and confidence is everything.

10 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I think Deion Jones is the one player that can actually make this defense go from bad, to average. He's easily the most valuable player on this defense. 

I agree.

I just have the feeling people are expecting miracles.

The defense will probably get better but I'm not expecting a magical transformation.  

If Debo is 100% I expect him to do his job which will help because they've had to use so many people to try and fill in for him.  However the fundamental problems this defense had will still be there.  Pass rush is still going to be a problem for example.

2 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

I agree.

I just have the feeling people are expecting miracles.

The defense will probably get better but I'm not expecting a magical transformation.  

If Debo is 100% I expect him to do his job which will help because they've had to use so many people to try and fill in for him.  However the fundamental problems this defense had will still be there.  Pass rush is still going to be a problem for example.

The defense is already improving.  The Falcons have been in every loss until the final play except for the Steelers game.  This offense is really good and the Falcons don't need the defense to be great. But they do need the defense to be average.  I think Deion can help them get back to that. 

1 hour ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

He doesnt drop picks either 

1 hour ago, Peyton said:

The defense is already improving.  The Falcons have been in every loss until the final play except for the Steelers game.  This offense is really good and the Falcons don't need the defense to be great. But they do need the defense to be average.  I think Deion can help them get back to that. 

100% agree. The 2016 defense was average at best. It caught some fire in the playoffs 

4 hours ago, birdz4i said:

“The part of the process is on target, in terms of what the doctor’s guidelines are,” Falcons coach Dan Quinn said recently. “As we’re getting close to there, I’ll give you an update. But at this point, he’s onto an excellent trajectory of where we expected him to be at this point.”

Yea we wont see Deion Jones until next season

If Jones is 100%, he will definitely improve our defense! 
However, the key word here is "IF". 
So many guys try to come back before they are fully healed, and wind up hurt again....I trust this won't be the case with him, because he's definitely a "difference maker" when he's on the field!!!  

4 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

My biggest fear is that he is not 100% and he gets the start his first week eligible.

I don't think the Falcons coaching staff let him back on the field till he's 100%.I also think they are looking at the big picture as above.

4 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Those Windows become smaller though the RBs that would get that 10 yard completion get 4-5 yards with Jones patrolling that underneath zone.Like many have mentioned experience helps.The combination of Jones and Campbell is probably better than anything they've tried this far. The Jones return is bigger than you may think.

As for d-line I think the FO has been fine with it.We are seeing the emergence of Jack Crawford and Deadrin Senat has showed early promise Takk is being Takk Beasley needs to improve but again is being asked to do 2 jobs here and is being used in coverage again because of the Jones injury.

No doubt this off season they'll be looking to replace Shelby and Reed so they'll be retooling for sure.