Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

falcons007

Saints @ Vikings.

258 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, osiruz said:

Saints look like a team of destiney. Taysom hill is a great find. I don't know what we need to do cause they're gonna win it in our house.

Team bus better not make it out of the city.

They still have to face us on thanks giving.

2 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

The pick wasn't just a pick. It was at sacrifice because they realize their window is short with Brees.

Julio move has given us multiple SB looks already and we should have one; but we had many many more years to earn back the cost paid for Julio. Davenport would have to stay around, get to and remain PB caliber even without a DE like Jordan on the other side in a few years(assuming then they retain him), and maybe they have another QB not named Brees to have a SB with him if not with Brees; the entire reason for the TRADE UP to get Davenport.

Nice game for him with a lead, though. What you want out of a DL at worst. In obvious pass rushing, can they get to the QB?

but can we really say that ?? in 2012 when they should have gone to the SB, the team had White in his prime and jones. The light was turning on for Julio at that point , his first season was so so but he was an absolute beast the next. 

Brees could play like Brady and Rodgers till there early 40’s. If thats true he plays about 3 or 4 more years barring a serious injury. But my point with davenport is that looks like he could become worth what they gave up. They needed a d line to pair with Brees.

Iron Saint and saints4life25 like this

15 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Did you know in the 1970's the Falcons could have drafted the Steel Curtain defense? They had all the picks to do it, but didn't because they were a really awful team.

The Falcons fielded the most dominant defense in NFL history in 1977

'll just come right out and say it: The 1977 Atlanta Falcons were the best defense in modern NFL history (Read: The Super Bowl Era).

Before you comment about the 1985 Bears or the 2000 Ravens, I would ask you to simply continue reading.

The job of an NFL defense is to do one simple thing: Prevent a team from scoring. In most cases, doing the first two will contribute to the third. And by these measures, the 1977 Falcons were better than anyone.

They hold the record for fewest points allowed in a 14-game season with 129. Simple.

It's relatively easy to stack them up against the two defenses generally considered to be the greatest of all-time, the aforementioned Ravens and Bears.

Points Allowed Per Game

1977 Falcons: 9.2

2000 Ravens: 10.2

1985 Bears: 12.1

See? Pretty simple.

But of course, people will say there are other components to a great defense. Like not allowing the other team to gain yards. Field position is important after all.

Yards Allowed Per Game

1977 Falcons: 231.6

2000 Ravens: 247.9

1985 Bears: 258.4

Okay, so they didn't allow a lot of total yards. What if that's just because their opponents didn't run a lot of plays?

Net Yards Per Play

1977 Falcons: 3.7

2000 Ravens: 4.3

1985 Bears: 4.4

Well, sure, holding a team in their place is important, but what about making big plays on their own? The kinds of plays that shift momentum.

Turnovers Per Game

1977 Falcons: 3.42

2000 Ravens: 3.06

1985 Bears: 2.84

The only major defensive category the 1977 Falcons weren't tops in compared to the other two was sacks.

Of course, the 1977 Falcons didn't make the playoffs. They didn't even have a winning record. Don't blame the defense for that though. It all lies with the offense.

Offensive Touchdowns Per Game (Regular Season)

1985 Bears: 2.75

2000 Ravens:1.81

1977 Falcons: 1.21

Field Goals Per Game (Regular Season)

2000 Ravens: 2.18

1985 Bears 1.93

1977 Falcons 0.92

Each of these defenses had something that summed up their season. For the 2000 Ravens, it was allowing just one defensive touchdown in four playoff games. The 1985 Bears had a similar streak, allowing just one touchdown in their three playoff games.

The moment that summed up the 1977 Falcons came when they played the Buffalo Bills in Week Five. The Falcons trailed 3-0 late in the fourth quarter when they blocked a punt and had a first down on the Buffalo 13-yard line. They ran four plays, failed to get a first down, and the game was over.”

ATLFalcons11 and Dirtybird3 like this

2 minutes ago, caponine said:

but can we really say that ?? in 2012 when they should have gone to the SB, the team had White in his prime and jones. The light was turning on for Julio at that point , his first season was so so but he was an absolute beast the next. 

Brees could play like Brady and Rodgers till there early 40’s. If thats true he plays about 3 or 4 more years barring a serious injury. But my point with davenport is that looks like he could become worth what they gave up. They needed a d line to pair with Brees.

Julio trade is different just based on position they both play. DE to make a huge impact like Julio is tough. Saints need all the picks especially considering Bree’s will have to be replaced soon. No team gives up a lot of a DE like Aints did. The only reason is SB or bust.  Julio is once in generational talent, Davenport is not JJ Watt.

Schwarzwald likes this

3 minutes ago, mattyicefalcon said:

They didnt quit.

They accepted they got beat fair and square and mathematically theres was no way to come back from double digit deficit.

They got the ball down 17 with 9:35 left in the game. That's PLENTY of time to still win the game. They took their sweet time and acted like they only needed 7 points to win or tie the game instead of 17.

I know the game was already over but htf is that legal to lay on the **** ball like that?  Saints proving why they’re such trash.

We as Falcons fans forget, we are in the most brutal division in football. We are in the best quarterback division in NFL history. There's no margin for error, especially when you're at home. Should have never lost to the Saints and Bengals, and we've gotten punished for it. 

Schwarzwald and Road Warrior like this

2 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

The Falcons fielded the most dominant defense in NFL history in the 70’s

Well for one year. Man their offense was really bad.

14 minutes ago, mattyicefalcon said:

Saints and Panthers are effin really good. As much as I hate to say this....we HAVE to win NEXT 3 games before we see them.

Im really shocked to see how we Panthers have shut their critics.

They beat Eagles and Ravens....and here Saints beat Ravens and Vikings. 

Thats impressive.

We had more guys hurt on D and had 5 TD game out of Matt last time.

Not intimidated by any NFC team.

The only team I'll give more respect to that usual is NE just because of history. Just something Kyle Shanahan didn't get.

falconsd56 likes this

2 minutes ago, mqg96 said:

We as Falcons fans forget, we are in the most brutal division in football. We are in the best quarterback division in NFL history. There's no margin for error, especially when you're at home. Should have never lost to the Saints and Bengals, and we've gotten punished for it. 

So true, even with all the injuries.  If we don't make dumbazz penalties against the Bengals and we tackle Brees, we're right in the thick of the race right now.  

mqg96 likes this

4 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Julio trade is different just based on position they both play. DE to make a huge impact like Julio is tough. Saints need all the picks especially considering Bree’s will have to be replaced soon. No team gives up a lot of a DE like Aints did. The only reason is SB or bust.  Julio is once in generational talent, Davenport is not JJ Watt.

to you after QB, LT, WR are DE’s after that salary wise?? And honestly they have Hill and Bridgewater, im not sure they draft a QB unless they really have to. 

saints4life25 and falcons007 like this

Just now, Jesus said:

Well for one year. Man their offense was really bad.

The only year the Falcons ever had a prolific offense and a dominant defense in the same season was 1998 when we went 14-2. We were 4th in points allowed and led the league in turnover margin. Our 2016 defense was an average bend and break unit, which is why we had 11 wins and 5 losses, and we know our offense carried that team through. The 2016 Falcons gave up the 2nd most points of any Super Bowl team with only the 2008 Cardinals giving up more points than us in the regular season and they went 9-7. Matt Ryan can't ever have a good defense when he's having a good year.... ever. 

4 minutes ago, mqg96 said:

This narrative works last year. We had half a defense for those 2 games. Have been in every game this year outside of Pitt.

We still control our own destiny. With how bad the D has been, if we get to the dance in any shape/form I like our chances.

falcons007 likes this

Just now, caponine said:

to you after QB, LT, WR are DE’s after that salary wise?? And honestly they have Hill and Bridgewater, im not sure they draft a QB unless they really have to. 

It’s not about salaries. It’s about impact on game and how many draft picks you are willing to  give up. Only DE worth giving up multiple first round picks would be some one like Watt. Saints did it because of SB window. Nothing wrong, if they can win the SB in next year or two.  You don’t see teams making moves like that on DL. 

Schwarzwald and caponine like this

13 minutes ago, caponine said:

Not really.

Matt Ryan was 27 years old.

And no, Brees has strongly suggested he is done sooner than later. I give him 2 years max.

And just like someone else just brought out, a WR of a talent like Julio gives you a lot more than Davenport. The trades aren't really comparable, though. That's why we paid more to move up more.

If this was a 2nd year QB on their team, they don't make the trade. Brees ain't playing another 3 or 4 years.

caponine likes this

It is really, really, really hard to replace your franchise greatest QB with another. The Saints waited 

14 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

The Falcons fielded the most dominant defense in NFL history in 1977

'll just come right out and say it: The 1977 Atlanta Falcons were the best defense in modern NFL history (Read: The Super Bowl Era).

Before you comment about the 1985 Bears or the 2000 Ravens, I would ask you to simply continue reading.

The job of an NFL defense is to do one simple thing: Prevent a team from scoring. In most cases, doing the first two will contribute to the third. And by these measures, the 1977 Falcons were better than anyone.

They hold the record for fewest points allowed in a 14-game season with 129. Simple.

It's relatively easy to stack them up against the two defenses generally considered to be the greatest of all-time, the aforementioned Ravens and Bears.

Points Allowed Per Game

1977 Falcons: 9.2

2000 Ravens: 10.2

1985 Bears: 12.1

See? Pretty simple.

But of course, people will say there are other components to a great defense. Like not allowing the other team to gain yards. Field position is important after all.

Yards Allowed Per Game

1977 Falcons: 231.6

2000 Ravens: 247.9

1985 Bears: 258.4

Okay, so they didn't allow a lot of total yards. What if that's just because their opponents didn't run a lot of plays?

Net Yards Per Play

1977 Falcons: 3.7

2000 Ravens: 4.3

1985 Bears: 4.4

Well, sure, holding a team in their place is important, but what about making big plays on their own? The kinds of plays that shift momentum.

Turnovers Per Game

1977 Falcons: 3.42

2000 Ravens: 3.06

1985 Bears: 2.84

The only major defensive category the 1977 Falcons weren't tops in compared to the other two was sacks.

Of course, the 1977 Falcons didn't make the playoffs. They didn't even have a winning record. Don't blame the defense for that though. It all lies with the offense.

Offensive Touchdowns Per Game (Regular Season)

1985 Bears: 2.75

2000 Ravens:1.81

1977 Falcons: 1.21

Field Goals Per Game (Regular Season)

2000 Ravens: 2.18

1985 Bears 1.93

1977 Falcons 0.92

Each of these defenses had something that summed up their season. For the 2000 Ravens, it was allowing just one defensive touchdown in four playoff games. The 1985 Bears had a similar streak, allowing just one touchdown in their three playoff games.

The moment that summed up the 1977 Falcons came when they played the Buffalo Bills in Week Five. The Falcons trailed 3-0 late in the fourth quarter when they blocked a punt and had a first down on the Buffalo 13-yard line. They ran four plays, failed to get a first down, and the game was over.”

yea I didn't disagree with you, but it doesn't matter. The Steelers on 4 Super Bowls with their defense. The Falcons on 7 games.

In fact the teams you listed all won Super Bowls. An offense wins championships too. Even with Jim McMahon at QB.

27 minutes ago, osiruz said:

Saints look like a team of destiney. Taysom hill is a great find. I don't know what we need to do cause they're gonna win it in our house.

Team bus better not make it out of the city.

Injure them. They took that route their SB year and I just don't see guys like Kazee and Takk letting them just waltz into that game.

I see Kazee getting rough with Thomas and Kamara and we need for Takk to do damage against Brees. Absolutely cannot allow them to play that game in our stadium. Nothing should be off the table.

3 hours ago, WiscoFalcon said:

Got a feeling.

’Aints winning this by 10+.

Now I want tomorrow's winning lotto numbers and how many points we win the SB by in Feb :angry:

My thoughts:

It was a weird game. The Vikings forced the Saints to play everything underneath and they did. Smart. There was a time when Sean's cockiness, which I love most of the time, would have gotten the better of us. But he was very patient with the playcalling and Drew took what the defense gave him. Other than the interception, he really did not put the team into a bad spot. So in a weird game, and on the road against a quality opponent, I actually like that the team won without playing very well on offense. You have to learn how to win on the road in different ways and this will be valuable experience as the season moves on.

I think Davenport will be well worth the trade if he stays healthy. Of course, I understand that none of you want to see it work out for the Saints just as I would not want to see any draft pick/trade work out for you all. That's fair. I do disagree with the idea that the Saints gave up too much. The league has made it hard to play defense and your best bet to have someone who can affect the passer. I think after QB, DE/LB (edge), LT and CB are the three most important positions on a team. This is why the Bears gave up two first rounders for  Khalil Mack though the difference is he was already PROVEN. But we will see teams more willing to give up draft stock for a potential top flight pass rusher. And to be honest, I think people would question the trade far less had folks not bought into the idea [from TV draftniks] that Davenport was raw. As a person who has worked in football at the college and professional level, it was lazy analyses. Sure, Davenport did not put his hand in the dirt a lot at UTSA but that does not make a prospect raw. And all too often when a player comes from a smaller school, we see that label attached. Yet, scouts knew better and you know Jeff Ireland would know better as he is one of the best talent evaluators in the game. And so what has Davenport done so far this season? He has 4 sacks and a ton of hurries/hits on the QB in limited playing time and is only getting better each week. He almost had a third sack tonight but got dragged down. Should have been holding, which would have negated the long throw to Thielen on third down but the refs did not call it. It happens. Notwithstanding, I like what I see from Davenport. His athleticism and speed jump off the screen and he plays with extremely bad intentions. 

caponine, Scott1988, Big_L and 1 other like this

I will say this though, somehow someway, if the Falcons meet the Saints in the playoffs, it's a MUST WIN for the Falcons to protect our home field, whether it's the wild card, divisional round or NFC Championship. If you've been watching the Falcons since Matt Ryan became our QB, you already know it. 

29 minutes ago, atlndvd said:

I know the game was already over but htf is that legal to lay on the **** ball like that?  Saints proving why they’re such trash.

It could have merited a penalty, no doubt. It was dumb and should have been a 5-yard penalty. Trash? Not close but I get that this is anti-Saints bias coming out. Again, I think it is very dumb whether it is a player on my team or another. But it happens a lot and hardly ever gets called. The league has to be willing to enforce it more. Heck, it got called during the Packers/Rams game and the commentators immediately alluded to how rarely it is called. 

27 minutes ago, mqg96 said:

This. I think most fans in the NFC South forget this. Each week, there is a lot of hoping and praying that the teams in the NFC South lose. But the teams in the NFC South are just darn good and have great QB play, for the most part. So each week, your team has to bring it and take care of what is right in front of them. Because the other teams in the South are not ceding much ground or going to allow it to be easy. 

Big_L and mqg96 like this

1 hour ago, caponine said:

he has 3 sacks his rookie season , but he is almost always around the QB. Their D Line is set , honestly which is why they are winning this game 

make that 4, and thats with very limited reps. On pace for 10. Next year when he's the starter and has a full offseason i bet he gets 12+.

caponine likes this

5 minutes ago, Rise said:

Hate to say it.. They might be playing in the Superbowl in Atlanta. The Rams will have a lot to say about that, but...its not looking good. The division race is probably over.

I think my team has a great chance of making it to the SB. But I think it is too early to say the division race is over. Carolina is sneaky good and will be competitive. Atlanta has some winnable games coming up though I would not sleep on Washington. So, I think the Saints have to keep playing, keep winning.