Julio's Touchdowns

I've asked this question in a couple of different threads and it's gotten ignored and I've never heard anyone that likes to complain, *****, moan, cry, denounce, growl, whine, yammer, bemoan, bellyache, ect. about Julio's lack of touchdowns ever explain how exactly it's his fault. They're so quick to point out Julio's lack of touchdowns but never quick to point out and explain exactly how it's his fault and what he should/could do differently to score more touchdowns. So here is an open forum, please explain to your heart's content how Julio Jones is to blame for his lack of touchdowns. Please explain this to me because I for the life of me cannot comprehend or understand what Julio should be doing differently that would score him all these extra touchdowns he should have. Here's your open invitation to "educate" me.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can fight through a jam but unless he man handles someone at the line he doesn’t have the quickness to get early separation off the block.

Not much at tracking the ball and high pointing it.

Isnt great at using his gargantuan frame to box players out in compressed spaces.

Lacks the quickness to get separation in condensed spaces.

Those are the negatives that fall at his feet. Ryan has a few too that prevent TDs as well.

5 hours ago, Faithful Falcon said:

Well for one, he runs 100 yards on every play, and comes out of the game every other play. When he caught the ball down inside the 10 vs Tampa, I was thinking "Go back to him", but he was on the sideline. 

Can you post snap counts to confirm how often Julio Jones is on the field? Can you compare him to guys that are his equals in the league like Antonio Bryant and Odell Beckham? I'm really curious if this whole "Julio sits out too many plays" talk is really as bad as the guys on here perceive it to be. Give me the percentage of Falcons offensive snaps Julio is on the field compared to other elite WR's.

7 hours ago, Wjcorner said:

Can fight through a jam but unless he man handles someone at the line he doesn’t have the quickness to get early separation off the block.

Isnt great at using his gargantuan frame to box players out in compressed spaces.

Those are the negatives that fall at his feet. Ryan has a few too that prevent TDs as well.

1. Completely disagree. Julio uses his size physicality very well to get through jams.

2. I semi agree here. Julio does tend to have some trouble at times high pointing the ball.

3. Meh, push.

4. Completely disagree. Julio does not lack quickness to get separation in condensed spaces.

Redzone has always been a problem for him. It’s a clear weakness in his game (all great players still have weaknesses!) that ppl get flamed for even mentioning, like he’s above that. 

Different OCs have tried, different wrs have been able to get open. All great wrs are double teamed in the redzone! Julio simply doesn’t know how to beat it. He’s the best wr in the nfl except inside the 20 

Julio NoEndzone Jones  

24 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Can you post snap counts to confirm how often Julio Jones is on the field? Can you compare him to guys that are his equals in the league like Antonio Bryant and Odell Beckham? I'm really curious if this whole "Julio sits out too many plays" talk is really as bad as the guys on here perceive it to be. Give me the percentage of Falcons offensive snaps Julio is on the field compared to other elite WR's.

To me, he's in tremendous shape, but he's being a model.  He's worn down after every play. I figure being a bigger receiver does that. He may have to change something in his diet.

4 minutes ago, Faithful Falcon said:

To me, he's in tremendous shape, but he's being a model.  He's worn down after every play. I figure being a bigger receiver does that. He may have to change something in his diet.

I still want to know if perception and reality are the same thing when it comes to Julio's snap count and the percentage of offensive plays that he takes off compared to his equals.

22 minutes ago, I Even Bleed Red said:

Redzone has always been a problem for him. It’s a clear weakness in his game (all great players still have weaknesses!) that ppl get flamed for even mentioning, like he’s above that. 

Different OCs have tried, different wrs have been able to get open. All great wrs are double teamed in the redzone! Julio simply doesn’t know how to beat it. He’s the best wr in the nfl except inside the 20 

Julio NoEndzone Jones 

All conjecture and no proof. Post proof that this is a Julio issue and not just a product of "that's the way the chips fall."

59 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

1. Completely disagree. Julio uses his size physicality very well to get through jams.

2. I semi agree here. Julio does tend to have some trouble at times high pointing the ball.

3. Meh, push.

4. Completely disagree. Julio does not lack quickness to get separation in condensed spaces.

1. I said he can fight through a jam. I’m talking quickness. That quick slant Tru got toasted on from Beckham...Julio doesn’t get off the line like that with that quickness. Look at the play against GB in the conference championship...even after destroying the DB at the line he was still in Julio’s hip. Julio does not get quick separation.

2. Not sure how you semi agree when you repeated what I said.

3. Push? What? If you don’t use quickness you have to box people out. Gronk, Moss, Calvin...all those guys did/do that really well without having crazy quickness.

4. Ima need receipts...because I truthfully can’t think of one play where Julio blew someone away with his quickness, much less in a goal to go situation. He has elite long speed, but people with his frame can’t be quick like an AB or Ridley.

8 hours ago, Wjcorner said:

Legitimately all of these points are false lmao

2 minutes ago, Wjcorner said:

1. I said he can fight through a jam. I’m talking quickness. That quick slant Tru got toasted on from Beckham...Julio doesn’t get off the line like that with that quickness. Look at the play against GB in the conference championship...even after destroying the DB at the line he was still in Julio’s hip. Julio does not get quick separation.

2. Not sure how you semi agree when you repeated what I said.

3. Push? What? If you don’t use quickness you have to box people out. Gronk, Moss, Calvin...all those guys did/do that really well without having crazy quickness.

4. Ima need receipts...because I truthfully can’t think of one play where Julio blew someone away with his quickness, much less in a goal to go situation. He has elite long speed, but people with his frame can’t be quick like an AB or Ridley.

I've seen Julio absolutely own DB's on slant routes consistently since his rookie year when he broke a slant for 80 yards and a TD against the Colts. What the crap are you talking about?

Just now, Falconsfan567 said:

I've seen Julio absolutely own DB's on slant routes consistently since his rookie year when he broke a slant for 80 yards and a TD against the Colts. What the crap are you talking about?

Where did I say Julio can’t run the slant? The slant I referenced, Julio demolished his dude. I’m explaining why that skill set doesn’t translate into a lot of TDs. Thought that was the discussion here...

1 minute ago, Wjcorner said:

Where did I say Julio can’t run the slant? The slant I referenced, Julio demolished his dude. I’m explaining why that skill set doesn’t translate into a lot of TDs. Thought that was the discussion here...

You said Beckham burned Trufant on a slant for a TD and that Julio can't do that.

1 minute ago, Falconsfan567 said:

You said Beckham burned Trufant on a slant for a TD and that Julio can't do that.

No, I said Julio doesn’t get off the line like that. I then referenced an equally impressive play where he just out muscled a jam rather than making a CB open up their hips early and dusting them off the line. 

3 minutes ago, Wjcorner said:

No, I said Julio doesn’t get off the line like that. I then referenced an equally impressive play where he just out muscled a jam rather than making a CB open up their hips early and dusting them off the line. 

You're saying that Julio Jones cannot burn a DB straight off the snap with his quickness?

There's only one reason Julio doesn't get a lot of TDs and one reason only: Ryan has other weapons to throw to and Julio is doubled, if not tripled, every red zone trip.

Nothing about his skill set (which is the most well-rounded in the NFL) has to do with it at all. It's just simply not necessary to force him the ball.

17 minutes ago, Vandy said:

What’s LOL is he’s not wrong. 

nah, he is. it's cool though. people rarely like to talk about the fan favorite's weaknesses. I got this same flack when I explained years ago why Ryan's arm ain't a cannon regardless of how far he could physically throw it. now everybody talks about the high arcs floating near the sideline preventing Julio from getting those long TDs. 

unless you guys see Julio as a perfect football player, what would ya say are his weaknesses?