Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ya_boi_j

Deion "Falcons aren't going to the playoffs"

123 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Depth is still a concern on the front 4.  They're one injury away from being completely ineffective.

The Falcons have about 11 defensive lineman, and every single one of them was available for the last game.  If Senat is OK, they will go into the Redskins game completely healthy.  I think the defensive line is OK, the questions are behind the frond line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Yeah.  I said it's one thing if you have a couple of ugly wins.  That happens.

It's another if those are your only wins.

It’s been that way for YEARS though. Even the super bowl year until the playoffs. That’s on coaching and play calling, not 100% the players imo

Vandy and Flying Falcon like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Yeah.  I said it's one thing if you have a couple of ugly wins.  That happens.

It's another if those are your only wins.

 

6 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Yeah.  I said it's one thing if you have a couple of ugly wins.  That happens.

It's another if those are your only wins.

Spot on bro...FN A man! I wish people on these boards understood exactly this!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TRUju2111 said:

Spot on bro...FN A man! I wish people on these boards understood exactly this!

People complaining about "ugly wins" is a great example of us Falcons fans being spoiled fans.

In 1978 the Falcons made the playoff for the first time.  They only scored 15 points a game, 26th out of 28 in the league.  Bartkowski and June Jones combined for 11 TDs and 23 INTS, bad even for those times.  They won 5 of the 9 games by a single FG, and the only thing that got the Falcons in the playoffs were two hail mary plays against the Saints....Big Ben that went for a TD and Big Ben that drew a PI a couple of weeks later.

Everything that team did was "ugly", but nobody cared because the Falcons were going to the playoffs and the fans weren't spoiled yet.

Now the Falcons have been two the playoffs 6 times in a decade, including 2 conference championship games and one Super Bowl, in a league where it simply isn't easy to do that.  And now it's not enough to win games, now a certain percentage of them have to be "pretty".

Human nature I guess.

J-Nice likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually do understand people writing off the Falcons but then you look at the next three games, and they are all really winnable. 

If the Falcons get to 6-4 and have Deion Jones healthy, are people still going to be saying "nah, no chance this team makes the playoffs".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Peyton said:

I actually do understand people writing off the Falcons but then you look at the next three games, and they are all really winnable. 

If the Falcons get to 6-4 and have Deion Jones healthy, are people still going to be saying "nah, no chance this team makes the playoffs".

That's my only hope for this season is getting Deion Jones back. If we just happen to squeak into the playoffs on a WC, then....

...let me not get my hopes up.

red falcon likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Peyton said:

The Falcons have about 11 defensive lineman, and every single one of them was available for the last game.  If Senat is OK, they will go into the Redskins game completely healthy.  I think the defensive line is OK, the questions are behind the frond line.

I'm talking quality vs quantity.

When everyone has been healthy depth has been an issue.  There are basically 3 guys that can rush the passer and we've seen what happens when 1 of them can't play.

And I think you've summed it up nicely.  When everyone is healthy and things are humming the defensive line is 'OK.'  

If this team is going to have a serious shot at the playoffs being 'OK' isn't going to cut it.  They have to play well enough to make up for the shortcomings of the back end.

If they can play like they did against the Giants every week we're in a good spot but the Giants will have a top 5 pick and a serious shot at the #1 pick because of their oline.

Flying Falcon likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

It’s been that way for YEARS though. Even the super bowl year until the playoffs. That’s on coaching and play calling, not 100% the players imo

I get that.

I'll take an ugly win.  A win is a win.

Now when you want to take that in context with making the playoffs.... and the defense has consistently shown that they can't stop anyone.... and the offense still has to prove it can function on the road....

With that in mind, is this team going to make the playoffs?  When they are last in the division looking up at 3 other teams?  In the division and not the conference?   I say let's slow down and take a step back.

Maybe they do but I've got to see more than just barely eeking out wins against the Giants and Bucs before I start thinking that.

I get optimism but is anyone going to go and put $1,000 on them making the playoffs,  right now?  Why not?

In that answer you will find my logic.

ya_boi_j and Flying Falcon like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

I get that.

I'll take an ugly win.  A win is a win.

Now when you want to take that in context with making the playoffs.... and the defense has consistently shown that they can't stop anyone.... and the offense still has to prove it can function on the road....

With that in mind, is this team going to make the playoffs?  When they are last in the division looking up at 3 other teams?  In the division and not the conference?   I say let's slow down and take a step back.

Maybe they do but I've got to see more than just barely eeking out wins against the Giants and Bucs before I start thinking that.

I get optimism but is anyone going to go and put $1,000 on them making the playoffs,  right now?  Why not?

In that answer you will find my logic.

My feelings have been that if we could eek out a few wins until deion gets back we will be fine.  We just did that.  Teams will not want to play us in the coming weeks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, slickgadawg said:

The one thing about  Quinn... That defense ALWAYS lets a team back into the game.  Those soft coverages are not working.  Stay in press. I rather the corners get beat in press instead of letting the offense just march down the field ...

We dont have corners who excel in press coverage....they get called P.I every single time.

Thought Trufant was our shut down corner & trash Alford was gonna atleast limit explosive plays....smh!!! 

 

Spts1 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hate to compare us to the Saints but this really feels like one of their teams during that 7-9 stretch when all they could do was pass the ball and nothing else

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Peyton said:

People complaining about "ugly wins" is a great example of us Falcons fans being spoiled fans.

In 1978 the Falcons made the playoff for the first time.  They only scored 15 points a game, 26th out of 28 in the league.  Bartkowski and June Jones combined for 11 TDs and 23 INTS, bad even for those times.  They won 5 of the 9 games by a single FG, and the only thing that got the Falcons in the playoffs were two hail mary plays against the Saints....Big Ben that went for a TD and Big Ben that drew a PI a couple of weeks later.

Everything that team did was "ugly", but nobody cared because the Falcons were going to the playoffs and the fans weren't spoiled yet.

Now the Falcons have been two the playoffs 6 times in a decade, including 2 conference championship games and one Super Bowl, in a league where it simply isn't easy to do that.  And now it's not enough to win games, now a certain percentage of them have to be "pretty".

Human nature I guess.

Its simply a matter of us not thinking we are a playoff team because our only victories ar "ugly" and its against bad teams which makes it "really ugly"

So until this team plays better, no reason to think we are a playoff team

Flying Falcon likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

I get that.

I'll take an ugly win.  A win is a win.

Now when you want to take that in context with making the playoffs.... and the defense has consistently shown that they can't stop anyone.... and the offense still has to prove it can function on the road....

With that in mind, is this team going to make the playoffs?  When they are last in the division looking up at 3 other teams?  In the division and not the conference?   I say let's slow down and take a step back.

Maybe they do but I've got to see more than just barely eeking out wins against the Giants and Bucs before I start thinking that.

I get optimism but is anyone going to go and put $1,000 on them making the playoffs,  right now?  Why not?

In that answer you will find my logic.

Who would be stupid enough to bet $1000 on them period, even to win in the playoffs. History, regardless the coach , has shown not to.

Now don't get it twisted and think by any means am I saying they make the playoffs. I have zero reason to believe that at all but the defensive front 7 has made strides. Can't deny that. Garbage opponent or not, can't take that away from them as a unit because we've seen much worse play against worse

Flying Falcon likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mattyicefalcon said:

Hey we are all frustrated but, man I am not going to give up on our coach and team just yet.

No other team in NFL could have bounced back the way we did in 2017.

No other team could have been still fighting after plethora of starters out for season. (I dont fully understand the cap situation so really cant say who could we have gone after, and how much net difference would have made to the outcome)

We have solid offensive core group of tough players - Julio,  Ridley, Sanu , Mack, Matthews, Sharaeder & leader = Matt Ryan.

No other Q.B in league has taken this many hits and still topped the NFL in passing yards and almost tied with Patrick Mahomes in PLAY ACTION execution.

No other team will have the SPEED and INTELLECT once we get ALL our players back.

Yes, Im livid & frustrated but, I have accepted the situation = in the end, theres ONLY one team going to lift LOMBARDI and we are not ready this year.

We can build from this, We will have toughest backups line ups in league next year who will have soo much experience with them.

Falcons are ALWAYS going to FIGHT & give their 100% and as a FAN thats all I can expect rest is ALL up to ALMIGHTY ABOVE! 

#RISEUP #BROTHERHOOD

 

This is a bad team that struggles to beat horrible teams.. Just accept it, don't try to put lipstick on the pig 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, abcranford2 said:

My feelings have been that if we could eek out a few wins until deion gets back we will be fine.  We just did that.  Teams will not want to play us in the coming weeks. 

Good teams look forward to playing us, don't kidd yourself.. Same ol Falcons 

Flying Falcon likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1) Deion is right, the new dome doesn't feel like home field advantage. Check the home stadiums in New Orleans, GB, Denver, Oakland, KC, NE, or Seattle. It is a scary place for opposing fans and teams.

We...fail to fill up seats in nationally televised games. 

2) I don't understand the fascination with Deion. Ya, he was a great player, but he's never been ride or die Falcons. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Flying Falcon said:

You see this Quinn? You have a fan that will NOT stop believing in you. They believe that your ingame situational management is the "bestest" in the world of football. They're gonna ride or die with you no matter what, so what do you think?

865185182.0.jpg

YOURE AWESOME!!!

Dude get a grip he’s a better coach than you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

This is a bad team that struggles to beat horrible teams.. Just accept it, don't try to put lipstick on the pig 

Ive accepted it that even due to most injuries caused to our elite players ...we are still in the mix of things.

We still have one of the best QB/WR corps in league.

I have no issues with our current state .  

You need to jump off the band wagon and follow Ping Pong or Volley Ball.

If you loathe FALCONS why do you even care to post on our boards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mattyicefalcon said:

We dont have corners who excel in press coverage....they get called P.I every single time.

Thought Trufant was our shut down corner & trash Alford was gonna atleast limit explosive plays....smh!!! 

 

I JUST addressed this in a thread I started about rebuilding this defense...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, slickgadawg said:

The one thing about  Quinn... That defense ALWAYS lets a team back into the game.  Those soft coverages are not working.  Stay in press. I rather the corners get beat in press instead of letting the offense just march down the field ...

This is common thought # 2. Common though #1 is that Tru and Alf both bite in coverage. If thought 1 is correct, thought 2 is suicide. For that reason, I have to think that you would agree that both Tru and Alf know how to play football?

Flying Falcon likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

This is a bad team that struggles to beat horrible teams.. Just accept it, don't try to put lipstick on the pig 

This is a beat up team that's about to become dangerous.

Shelley#37 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

 

You guys know you’re talking about yourselves too don’t you? Don’t pretend to be that perfect fan 

Come on now. It's fairly easy distinguish one from the other. You call it out quite frequently. I agree nobody is the perfect fan, but common football sense is not displayed by a lot of the fans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites