AWOL: Trufant & Alford

Its no mystery that our defense is banged up and struggling.  The head scratcher is the play of our veterans on the defensive side of the ball. Specifically,  Robert Alford and Desmond Trufant. 

Our two starting outside corners are paid top-10 money but are ranked 81st (Trufant) and 103rd (Alford) amongst active corners this year.   When the chips are down you have to be able to lean on experience. See Matt Ryan and Julio Jones. What are Alford and Tru doing to make those young players around them better? Very disappointed in those two this year

Edited by Falconsin2012

It just shows the we have a problem over valuing our own players. The whole "Brotherhood" idea sometimes over better sense. We foolishly hold on to our own players like Alford or Trufant because of the idea of Brotherhood over everything else. We have to start making the tough decisions or they will be made for us. We've paid Alford and Trufant now have to scrape money to pay players who are more deserving like Jarett.

Edited by MD-FalconFan13

35 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Its no mystery that our defense is banged up and struggling.  The head scratcher is the play of our veterans on the defensive side of the ball. Specifically,  Robert Alford and Desmond Trufant. 

Our two starting outside corners are paid top-10 money but are ranked 81st (Trufant) and 103rd (Alford) amongst active corners this year.   When the chips are down you have to be able to lean on experience. See Matt Ryan and Julio Jones. What are Alford and Tru doing to make those young players around them better? Very disappointed in those two this year

IDK, but it could be that we have key players out in other areas of the defense that they feel they must do more and overthinking things a bit.   

12 minutes ago, nomak said:

IDK, but it could be that we have key players out in other areas of the defense that they feel they must do more and overthinking things a bit.   

Interesting thought however it looks like they arent even thinking out there. Ive never seen a worse game out of alford. Its like they take turns sucking ars 

36 minutes ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

It just shows the we have a problem over valuing our own players. The whole "Brotherhood" idea sometimes over better sense. We foolishly hold on to our own players like Alford or Trufant because of the idea of Brotherhood over everything else. We have to start making the tough decisions or they will be made for us. We've paid Alford and true van now have to scrape money to pay players who are more deserving like Jarett.

agreed , over valued = over paid,, an ongoing problem most people won;t admit.

1 hour ago, Monolith2001 said:

It will all come back together.  Better communication and a reliable pass rush will go a long way to reducing some of the deep stuff we've been seeing and the confidence will come back too.  I don't think either of these guys just fell off a cliff simultaneously.  

Exactly!

1 hour ago, Jesus said:

Losing the leader of the secondary in Allen was killer. They are improving each week. Expect them play strong next week.

They just gave up 400 yards passing to Eli and the bottom feeding Giants.  The injuries I understand.  What concerns me is seeing Alford and Trufant losing their 1-on 1 matchups quickly and with regularity

Edited by Falconsin2012

43 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

The two starting safeties are out and it's still a mystery to some of you why our corners are struggling.... They support each other.... 

I am talking about individual one on one match ups they are losing on a regular basis. When they are on an island and asked to hold up. They are losing those every week

Edited by Falconsin2012

5 minutes ago, lju713 said:

Do we sign and draft another CB in the off-season. Age,cap,and performance will get Alford cut in the off-season to me. Greedy Williams (LSU) and DeAndre Baker would be nice replacements for Alford.

I'd rather cut Trufant personally. I know Rocky is a holding penalty machine but he can get int's, unlike Trufant.

Just now, SpongeDad said:

I'd rather cut Trufant personally. I know Rocky is a holding penalty machine but he can get int's, unlike Trufant.

I'm ready for both honestly, but that would mean drafting and signing a CB. Our money needs to go to Jarrett,Debo,Neal

We need to trade either or both - next season. Not this one. We definitely need something better than those 2 guys. Alford was awesome last season. I dont know where Trufant want but he hasnt been any good in 3 years.

Its time to start recyclcing and replacing the CBs. But I dont think that can be done this season. We got what we got.

2 hours ago, Monolith2001 said:

It will all come back together.  Better communication and a reliable pass rush will go a long way to reducing some of the deep stuff we've been seeing and the confidence will come back too.  I don't think either of these guys just fell off a cliff simultaneously.  

Alford's regression was pretty sudden but Trufant has been floundering a bit for some time.