WTF is up with our OL?

With a marginal upgrade in the offseason to RG, our OL regressed since last year. Matthews is the real deal and we are very fortunate to have him. Ryan's quick read/ quick release has hidden the pass blocking deficiencies of this line for years now. So what do you guys think is really going on? I'm really unsure right now. 

Also has FFS70 came up with a nickname for the new guy yet?

Thank you I'm missing a lot as my work schedule has changed to 10pm-6 am . I'm still very much adapting to the schedule and not getting on the boards much

Edited by ATLSlobberKnockers

Pass protection is harder when you can't run the ball. Part of that was exacerbated due to the D making us go into shootout mode many games in a row.

Outside of FB, it seems like we miss Levitre a lot and Chester a bit still.

However, according to some reports Kyle Shanahan back in Washington would commit 1 day a week to prepping the run game only.

Is that sort of detail something he imployed while in Atlanta? Word was we focused on the details last week in practice for run offense.

Bottom line is run offense needs more work. If they aren't having to cover blitzes, the protection is usually just battles. Run blocking is mobile and fluid. If each guy isn't timing his movements and decisions/technique properly to execute on each designed play as it develops it gets blown up. ZBS is like playing jinga. One piece can ruin the whole thing if it's out of place.

5 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Players get old and sometimes their play falls off a cliff.

See Roddy White.  See Tyson Clabo.

Thats Why you can never take a ‘wait till next year’ approach because nothing stays the same in the NFL. Everything is always changing.

Yeah back cant play forever. Window is slammed shut yet but its closing. We had it in our grasp and let it get away. 

42 minutes ago, osiruz said:

Shraeder and both guards need an upgrade, also mack is getting up there in age and we need a new center. Would be nice to get a new RT and LG.

Wes probably gets another year at this rate, but we need a Dahl type at RG with some fire.

A lot depends on where Wes winds up and if Fusco is kept while letting Levitre walk.

OG has a lot of layers.

Otoh, cutting Schraeder with post June 1st designation saves a lot of the cap. Would require a backup plan such as Gono being developed all year to know if he could hold down the starting job. Even if he could be projected and trained up like Schraeder was, you still need a vet 3rd OT like Ty.

Post June 1st-2019

2019 Dead Cap: $1,300,000

2020 Dead Cap: $2,500,000

2019 Cap Savings: $6,450,000

18 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

So if I’m reading this right,  we need a new offensive line except for LT

Not really. We got both starting OGs out for the year and Mack is probably here at least 1 more year, but I do believe we need a replacement plan.

Schraeder probably gets rest of this year to iron things out at least. You don’t just give up on veteran OL given how hard it is to build a complete line these days.

EDIT: if Andy is gone depends on Wes performance vs if staff wants to replace him, too. Doubt we cut Fusco unless his ankle prevents a sound return.

Edited by Ergo Proxy

We have what we have, and there is a lot worse out there to be had (I think the ex-Seahawk guy might be one of those). Keep drafting and picking up FAs who can clearly take someone's spot or battle it out in camp and preseason. I do think we are going to have to go for an OL 2nd or 3rd round just to raise the talent level on the OL. Then let the best play on game day.

Certainly are having a difficult time gelling but to be fair their has been some shuffling going on with the injuries. Now they change that chemistry again with Fusco out.

Also, our OL was never really strong at pass blocking. Even in 2016, but we had a good running game in 2016 which played to their strength which was zone run blocking.

the run game not being quite to the level we need it to be has magnified the weakness in pass blocking. But I commend Sark for not giving up on it last Monday night. Would have been easy to say **** it, it isn’t working and panic and start slinging the ball over the place. But even when it isn’t working you have to keep working it to make the opposing defense respect the play action which is a huge part of Matt’s game and the scheme itself. And it paid off with Teco’s TD run. Little bit of banging your head against a wall but you gotta stick with it frustrating as it may be. I think we will come around. 

The OL even if healthy would barely be above average. We've had a couple of injuries there, and we don't really have a good between the tackles RB right now. Ito may get there, but without Freeman our running game is being heavily predicated on getting to the edge and turning the corner, and we haven't been able to do that consistently, so our offense has been largely one-dimensional. That translates to long downs which makes defenses more aggressive with the pass rush/blitzes. I'd like us to get a little bit more screen-heavy, especially since Coleman can kill it with them and I think Ito would be serviceable there as well.

1 hour ago, osiruz said:

Shraeder and both guards need an upgrade, also mack is getting up there in age and we need a new center. Would be nice to get a new RT and LG.

We should have addressed it more seriously in the draft long before now.

2018 no O linemen selected

2017 was one 4th rounder that has done virtually nothing.

2016 was one 6th rounder

Mack is getting older... Levitre was older.. Schrader has always been a border line level talent.

Fact is that this teams brain trust doesn't seem to put a premium on the position. 

Late round draft pick reaches and aging free agents on the back side of the bell curve is never going to provide consistency.

6 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

So if I’m reading this right,  we need a new offensive line except for LT

Yes, although we maybe able to get by with wes. Mack is playing from Ryan's lap and has maybe 1-2 years in him, and Shraeder and Levitre are pretty much done. 

10 hours ago, Pacific_Falcon said:

The OL even if healthy would barely be above average. We've had a couple of injuries there, and we don't really have a good between the tackles RB right now. Ito may get there, but without Freeman our running game is being heavily predicated on getting to the edge and turning the corner, and we haven't been able to do that consistently, so our offense has been largely one-dimensional. That translates to long downs which makes defenses more aggressive with the pass rush/blitzes. I'd like us to get a little bit more screen-heavy, especially since Coleman can kill it with them and I think Ito would be serviceable there as well.

I'd love to see the screens too but for some reason the Falcons, more than any team in the NFL, can't set up a screen to save their lives. 

21 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

O-lineman are a lottery in the draft it's a really hard position to fill if you aren't picking high.

FA the pickings look even slimmer.

To be honest we could well do worse with what we have.

It's because college players aren't getting developed the same way they used to because so few college teams run an NFL style offense. Right off the top of my head the only ones that come to mind are Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin, Penn State, and Stanford. All run basic style NFL offenses with the QB under center and using a traditional fullback. Even Nick Saban at Alabama has let his offense evolve from the traditional style into a spread style to fit his personnel.

16 hours ago, octoslash said:

I'd love to see the screens too but for some reason the Falcons, more than any team in the NFL, can't set up a screen to save their lives. 

It's downright insane that the Falcons cannot run such a simple play with success. It doesn't matter what type of screen it is, running back, wide receiver, tight end. More times than not it gets absolutely blown up and loses yards. Falcons haven't had consistent success with the screen play since Mike Mularkey was here.

13 hours ago, Summerhill said:

NFL = Not For Long

Two years ago everyone thought the Cowboys had the best offensive line of the decade and they have considerably regressed, too. Every position group in the NFL needs constant upkeep and it is nearly impossible to keep up with everything. 

Injuries and retirements have hit the Cowboys OL.

On 10/24/2018 at 9:36 PM, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Players get old and sometimes their play falls off a cliff.

See Roddy White.  See Tyson Clabo.

Thats Why you can never take a ‘wait till next year’ approach because nothing stays the same in the NFL. Everything is always changing.

Chris Chandler in 2000 when Jamal came back from the knee.