Falcons bring back T Austin Pasztor for rest of 2018 Make other Line Moves

lostnmexico

Falcons bring back T Austin Pasztor for rest of 2018

The OL gets some veteran depth going forward.

By Cory Woodroof@CoryWoodroof47 Oct 24, 2018, 10:57am EDT

usa_today_11148387.0.jpgReinhold Matay-USA TODAY Sports

In a season completely and totally marred by the injury bug, the Atlanta Falcons are having to piece together yet another banged-up part of the offensive line.

After starting right guard Brandon Fusco was lost for the season to an ankle injury, the team made the move to sign former Seahawks G/T Rees Odhiambo from the Colts practice squad.

The Falcons also brought back a former fourth-round pick, G Sean Harlow, to the practice squad, and waived G Zac Kerin from the main roster.

Well, the musical chairs for the offensive line spots at Flowery Branch appear to be over with Wednesday morning’s latest move.

Yes, Austin Pasztor, the former Browns right tackle who has been around the Falcons since 2017 as a backup tackle.

Pasztor really hasn’t done a ton with the Falcons outside of provide veteran depth, though right now, that’s all they need.

Ben Garland will most likely assume the left guard duties once Wes Schweitzer slides back over to the right side, effectively giving Atlanta the same offensive line that got hammered in the playoffs. Though, Schweitzer will have more experience this go-around, as will Garland.

Pasztor’s role in all of this will be to step in should more injuries strike, which would just be kind of cruel at this point. He knows the system and has starting experience, so it’s not a bad move at all, since, well, there just aren’t many starting-caliber offensive linemen just waiting at home for a phone call in October.

If you were hoping for a big, splashy trade for a 3-4 team, don’t get your hopes up. The Falcons are going to probably bide their time with the group they’ve got until 2019 rolls around with a hoped dose of healthy habits.

Until then, we welcome Pasztor back to the team and hope the injuries finally slow down.

Edited by lostnmexico

Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of options to trade or pick-up offensive linemen. As one commentator put it, they don't even have enough quality lineman to fill out every starting line in the NFL. You just have to hope that something clicks for one of the guys. I wonder if Pastzor was picked up due to Schraeder struggling. It is tough because Schraeder was one of our best linemen for so long.

9 minutes ago, SkerFalcon8710 said:

We need to give sambrailo a chance at RT, yea yea i know “muh vic beasley” but the guy can run block and at this point how much worse could his pass protection be compared to schrader? Dude is having a terrible year pass blocking

I would not mind giving Ty a shot at guard......he is a liability in space but as you mentioned he is a strong run blocker

Why would we switch the guards? I understand Schweitzer battled all offseason at RG but he has been pretty decent at LG, and that may be a better fit for him. Same with Garland at RG. I think he is more scrappy than technical which bodes well for the right side. That’s just my opinion I could be dead wrong.

I just really liked the way the line played once Garland subbed in

27 minutes ago, MilleniumFalcon said:

I would leave Ben on the right and Wes on the left.

That's what I was thinking.  Wes has been playing decent (at least I think so) on the left, so why change that and move him back to the right where he really struggled last year.

Edited by falconut1991

59 minutes ago, vafalconfan said:

This.. says it all.

Ben Garland will most likely assume the left guard duties once Wes Schweitzer slides back over to the right side, effectively giving Atlanta the same offensive line that got hammered in the playoffs. 

Yes, what it says is, "I go by the narrative everyone else goes by..."

Truth is, the Oline handled the Rams pass rush effectively while opening good running lanes, but didn't fare so well against Philadelphia... but let's not discount that NOBODY fared exactly well against the eventual Super Bowl Champs...

And oh, was it this Oline that opened a huge hole for Teco to rumble a 30 yard TD run?

Yes it was, Other Barry... Yes it was...

23 minutes ago, Falconcheff said:

Truth is, the Oline handled the Rams pass rush effectively while opening good running lanes, but didn't fare so well against Philadelphia... but let's not discount that NOBODY fared exactly well against the eventual Super Bowl Champs...

And oh, was it this Oline that opened a huge hole for Teco to rumble a 30 yard TD run?

bc6729d68986dbcbbc9fe08b143de44816b3b4cc

2 hours ago, vafalconfan said:

This.. says it all.

Ben Garland will most likely assume the left guard duties once Wes Schweitzer slides back over to the right side, effectively giving Atlanta the same offensive line that got hammered in the playoffs. 

Don't think they're the only guards who have had trouble with the Eagles and Rams defensive lines the past 1.5 seasons.  It's not like Levitre and Fusco were light years ahead, and I don't see many other solid options sitting out there in free agency.

1 hour ago, virginiafalcon said:

Don't think they're the only guards who have had trouble with the Eagles and Rams defensive lines the past 1.5 seasons.  It's not like Levitre and Fusco were light years ahead, and I don't see many other solid options sitting out there in free agency.

Levitre was prob the best o lineman when healthy or right behind mack. 

7 hours ago, Falconcheff said:

What? We were getting destroyed in the first half vs the Rams. Adjustment after halftime vs an already tired Rams D from 2 STs fumbles/losing TOP helped us snowball an effective ground game to eventually slow down their pass rush.

And this same lineup was part of the reason once Levitre went down last year our scoring offense bottomed out. Not just the Philly game.

We moved the ball, but struggled to score TDs.

Our run game has been nothing short of horrible this year. Missing Free, but gotta improve our details in the run blocking as well as protection, but that gets helped if we can run the ball instead of letting them pin their ears back.

Yeah, we saw some glipses from Wes and Garland last year. It all boils down to consistency with those details.

8 hours ago, vafalconfan said:

This.. says it all.

I doubt if this will happen.  The falcons could have switched it in the last game.