2016 MVP Matt Ryan vs. 2018 Matt Ryan

Sponge

I don’t really pay attention to the stats much unless it’s a young player who has a lot of hype. I was told by intellectually correct or whatever his name is, that the rules are the reason behind these qbs putting up these numbers and scores being so high. Do you think the rules are truly the influence behind so many qbs putting up great numbers this year or is it just a talent thing. I didn’t even realize Brees hasn’t thrown a pick at all until listening to Some sports show today. 

5 minutes ago, Drew4719 said:

Our receiving corps is better than 2016, but Matt is doing this with little help from the O-line and running game compared to 2016.

Not to mention the backs putting up big receiving numbers in 16. People love to hate, but not having 2016 Freeman is really hurting us.

14 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

I don’t really pay attention to the stats much unless it’s a young player who has a lot of hype. I was told by intellectually correct or whatever his name is, that the rules are the reason behind these qbs putting up these numbers and scores being so high. Do you think the rules are truly the influence behind so many qbs putting up great numbers this year or is it just a talent thing. I didn’t even realize Brees hasn’t thrown a pick at all until listening to Some sports show today. 

I think one reason is the influx of good young QBs in the last several drafts. I think there are more starting QBs that are at least competent than ever before. There are hardly any Blaine Gabbert level QBs out there.

I also think defenses have either over-adjusted to, or been caught off guard by the rule changes and aren’t playing as aggressively. The defenses that have the talent to do so will play better in the second half of the the season once they have enough tape on these offenses and can scheme to beat them. 

10 minutes ago, Drew4719 said:

I think one reason is the influx of good young QBs in the last several drafts. I think there are more starting QBs that are at least competent than ever before. There are hardly any Blaine Gabbert level QBs out there.

I also think defenses have either over-adjusted to, or been caught off guard by the rule changes and aren’t playing as aggressively. The defenses that have the talent to do so will play better in the second half of the the season once they have enough tape on these offenses and can scheme to beat them. 

Good ****. Something I gotta put some thought to

19 minutes ago, Jerz #DukeSZN said:

Steve Sarkisian HC position opening up soon?

I hope Matt can get a long stretch with the same guy for a while.  Would love to see how good he can be to not have to take these years for the offense to adjust to a new playcaller.

Not to make this about the Pats, but McDaniels has been there a long time to keep that side of the ball consistent. 

This is interesting and impressive. Ryan is actually better this season under Sark than he was under Shannahan.

Steve Sarkisian is blistering it in his 2nd season. He is calling great plays, great designs. Getting guys open in space. It sucks we dont have a running game but thats because our O Line is a sack of garbage this year, and we lost Devonta. And having to overcome that is tough for any OC in the NFL.

Sark and Ryan are doing the best they can. I just wish we had a defense that wasnt laying in the MASH unit in the hospital

1 minute ago, dmite said:

I hope Matt can get a long stretch with the same guy for a while.  Would love to see how good he can be to not have to take these years for the offense to adjust to a new playcaller.

Not to make this about the Pats, but McDaniels has been there a long time to keep that side of the ball consistent. 

Totally agree 100%. Some continuity in Matt's career would be long overdue. This milestone for Matt is around the time Brees really turned it up a notch in his career..I think Matts doing the same so having another good offensive mind with good rapport with Matt is essential. 

12 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

The rules most definitely help the offensive players in today’s game. But Ryan is still an outlier compared to almost any other quarterback. So that means he is playing **** good football. His stats are jaw-dropping even compared to other quarterbacks playing under the same rules

Edited by Falconsin2012

Just now, Jerz #DukeSZN said:

Totally agree 100%. Some continuity in Matt's career would be long overdue. This milestone for Matt is around the time Brees really turned it up a notch in his career..I think Matts doing the same so having another good offensive mind with good rapport with Matt is essential. 

Thanks for another comparison, yes, Brees and Payton marriage has made them consistently potent on offense. 

10 hours ago, Jerz #DukeSZN said:

How so?

He is still learning to coach in the NFL. He has relatively no experience except for the last 18 months. Coaching our offense is an ideal situation for Sark.   Is it stress free?  Absolutely not.   But with out talent he will always be successful. Each year he will make strides in both his personal and professional life. At USC Sark admitted he did not want to be part of defensive or or special-teams meetings. So he didn’t go. As head coach all three parts of the game have to be understood and ascribed equal value.   And finally, so few good head coaching opportunities arise for first-time head coaches. Does he really want the stress of going to a bottom feeding organization? I don’t know. Does not seem ideal which is why I said he would be foolish to leave so soon 

Edited by Falconsin2012