Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GET-ME-A-DB-TD

Vic is SO gone after this season....

172 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Gurley is talented. Gurley is also very much a product of his surroundings. 

Beasley was the right pick and Beasley will always have been the right pick. It doesnt matter how it turns out, you make decisions based upon the information available to you at the time of the decision. And all of that information pointed to selecting Beasley. 

I've never advocated for drafting Gurley, but he is singularly an excellent player on his own. He was a beast as a rookie with Jeff Fisher as his head coach and Nick Foles QB. You have to give him his due. 

2 minutes ago, Summerhill said:

I've never advocated for drafting Gurley, but he is singularly an excellent player on his own. He was a beast as a rookie with Jeff Fisher as his head coach and Nick Foles QB. You have to give him his due. 

No he really wasnt. He broke a handful of long runs against some bad run defenses and was otherwise pretty pedestrian. In Year 2, he was stuck in the mud. 

Then, in Y3, he sees a coach come in thats calling the most innovative effective offense in the league and he's unleashed. His talents were put in the best possible position to shine and to his credit, he has done a lot of shining. But its pretty instructive on the point that RBs are HIGHLY dependent on much of their surroundings and that if you're going to have a good+ infrastructure in place for a RB to thrive, chances are you can get 90+% of that production without paying top dollar. 

6 hours ago, Draftnut57 said:

I made a post that year before the draft,, And said,, we should do what ever is nessasary to draft Gurley , no matter how many picks we have to give to get Him,, I knew he would be a great pro,, But to be honest,, I didn't know he would be as good as He is!! I wanted him on this team as much and any player ever! Look at what he does for his team.. opens up so many plays even when he's not the target.

What Gurley is doing is no different to what the Falcons did in 08 when the Burner had his year.All I see is a team that's selling out up front and doing whatever's needed to get that part of there game going to speed up the maturation of there QB.

Gurleys good no doubt but have you watched the blocking that's going on in front of him.I watched that Niners game and you want to talk about opening holes my god it was ridiculous.

5 hours ago, Draftnut57 said:

I've always believed in getting our Oline in FACY,, Proven , young,, OL,,, Because that is a position we can't afford to miss on,, See Mack,, Then draft the skill players because no one will let a Star walk,, See Julio ... But without proven OL,, we go no where... with our QB on his back on the ground. Injured reserve ... 

That's where the balancing act is though because you can't go and pay for that big name though we did with Mack.We have alot of young guys to look after and the mentioned fell into our laps timing wise.

But I agree we need to get proven guy's but we some how need to find them in the mid to lower tier money wise and here's in lies the Fusco type signing.

2 hours ago, MAD597 said:

At this point I would have rather not gone to the SB in 2016 and blown an epic 28-3 lead in the SB. I seriously would have preferred a typical early playoff flame out or even missing the playoffs all together then that SB disaster. For example the 2009 season where we went 9-7 had injuries and the team showed heart to finally break the back to back winning season curse was much better than that 28-3 superbowl loss

So woo hoo Vic performed well enough to help propel us to the worst SB loss/collapse in League history, yipee

i disagree... i dont get that thinking

On 10/23/2018 at 5:12 PM, falconsd56 said:

Vic had 5 had pressures and was right there when Grady got the first sack had Grady not got the sack Vic would have..plus he was out there as a spy on Barkley and he was playing in space.

That's what I saw.

13 hours ago, Knight of God said:

Still needed defense. I would have been pixxed had we not taken an edge rusher

Same. Sometimes they work out, sometimes they don’t. Hind site 20/20. Quinn was hired to come fix the defense, and Beasley was the no-brainer pick for him at that time. 

Knight of God and PokerSteve like this

Again, folks seem to forget that our run game was as bad as our defense going into the 2015 draft. Beasley was a great looking prospect after the combine but Gurley was talked about as being a generational talent. It's not hindsight when these things were said before the draft. The need was there. 

The fact is it was the wrong pick and we have to accept that. The more leadership tries to deny it the more they allow opportunity for the same mistake to occur. BPA at position of need is a strategy that has proven itself for and over. Beasley was a good pick, Gurley would have been great

29 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

I saw Quinn grab him on the sidelines and congratulate him for his almost 4 sacks the other night.

Quinn likes his play, he ain't going anywhere.

I saw that too...

Its like your child has a 50 grade... And they raise it too a 57 and you congratulate them....when both grades are still F's

3 hours ago, Vandy said:

Same. Sometimes they work out, sometimes they don’t. Hind site 20/20. Quinn was hired to come fix the defense, and Beasley was the no-brainer pick for him at that time. 

The biggest problem with Vic right now is that his play hasnt been good enough to get the contract he's going to want....but there have been flashes and he's still an ultra valuable commodity: a young, super athletic, pass rusher. 

These guys often take a long time to develop into consistent forces. So now what do we do? Let him walk and become a force elsewhere? Pay him a bunch and have him not work out? 

Tough spot. 

3 hours ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

Again, folks seem to forget that our run game was as bad as our defense going into the 2015 draft. Beasley was a great looking prospect after the combine but Gurley was talked about as being a generational talent. It's not hindsight when these things were said before the draft. The need was there. 

The fact is it was the wrong pick and we have to accept that. The more leadership tries to deny it the more they allow opportunity for the same mistake to occur. BPA at position of need is a strategy that has proven itself for and over. Beasley was a good pick, Gurley would have been great

Except this isnt a "fact" so there's nothing to accept. 

And the "need" was addressed with a cheaper draft pick which, combined with the RB already on the roster, resulted in the 6th best run game in the league one year later....on one of the ~10-12 best offenses in league history. 

The Rams run game in 2016? 32nd in the league. The Rams offense in 2016? 32nd in the league. 

Taking running backs in the Top 10 is almost always a mistake. Hell, taking RBs in the first round at all is almost always a mistake. 

Gurley doesnt give you anything more than Free/TeCo did....but he does cost you a ton more, both in the short term and the long term. 

Gurley was never the right pick. Not then. Not now. 

8 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

The biggest problem with Vic right now is that his play hasnt been good enough to get the contract he's going to want....but there have been flashes and he's still an ultra valuable commodity: a young, super athletic, pass rusher. 

These guys often take a long time to develop into consistent forces. So now what do we do? Let him walk and become a force elsewhere? Pay him a bunch and have him not work out? 

Tough spot. 

It is tough spot. Wasn’t that long ago the board experts in here were all calling Jadeveon Clowney a bust.

See also Jerry Hughes who did nothing at Indy, but busted out in Buffalo. 

Falconsfan567 likes this

20 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

What Gurley is doing is no different to what the Falcons did in 08 when the Burner had his year.All I see is a team that's selling out up front and doing whatever's needed to get that part of there game going to speed up the maturation of there QB.

Gurleys good no doubt but have you watched the blocking that's going on in front of him.I watched that Niners game and you want to talk about opening holes my god it was ridiculous.

The whole thread is worth a gander. 

1 minute ago, Vandy said:

It is tough spot. Wasn’t that long ago the board experts in here were all calling Jadeveon Clowney a bust.

See also Jerry Hughes who did nothing at Indy, but busted out in Buffalo. 

Or even Julio. Remember post 2013? 

Folks simply dont have the ability to think/evaluate long term. And thats not to say Vic's definitely going to get better! I have no idea what the Falcons should do with him. But people talk about him like he's a total nonfactor. If you compare him to the rest of the pass rushers/DL drafted in 2015, he's:

3rd in sacks
10th in TFL
10th in QB Hits
2nd in Forced Fumbles

I mean.....thats certainly not Von Miller. But its not Jamaal Anderson either. 

On 10/24/2018 at 9:56 AM, Peyton said:

The Falcons have a lot of hard decisions to make at the end of the season, but I am pretty sure they will wait until the end of the season to make them.

Freeman, Beasley, Jarrett, Sanu, Levitre, Fusco, Alford, Coleman maybe even Mack and Schraeder too....these guys are all aging and or struggling / worn and or unsigned / costly for next year.  Lot of hard decisions after the season.

But I am pretty sure the Falcons are focused on getting the best they can out of this bunch in 2018 right now.

Beasley is not a bad football player. As I recall, PFF has him ranked in the top 50 edge rushers (46th?). Anyway. There are right around 64 edge rushers starting in the NFL and a handful of rotational guys that are interchangeable with some of those. 

If I were making decisions for the Falcons, I absolutely want Beasley if I can get get him for money that is line with being a top 50 edge rusher (Not a top 10 or 30 even). However, if there is even one team in the league that wants to pay him for his outlier season (2016 was different, his other 3 seasons are all the same), more power to him/them. Let them pay him when he is a FA.

I'd trade him for a 3rd or 4th rounder in about 14 seconds if anybody wants to pony that up. You might be able to get a guy on a rookie deal who will become a top 50 graded edge rusher in those rounds. 

PokerSteve and kiwifalcon like this

3 hours ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

Gurley is a great player but there's a "generational" RB almost every year. Since Gurley was drafted in 2015, Saquon Barkley, Leonard Fournette, and Ezekiel Elliott have been considered generational talents, too. Trent Richardson was considered generational in 2012, too. 

4 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Or even Julio. Remember post 2013? 

Folks simply dont have the ability to think/evaluate long term. And thats not to say Vic's definitely going to get better! I have no idea what the Falcons should do with him. But people talk about him like he's a total nonfactor. If you compare him to the rest of the pass rushers/DL drafted in 2015, he's:

3rd in sacks
10th in TFL
10th in QB Hits
2nd in Forced Fumbles

I mean.....thats certainly not Von Miller. But its not Jamaal Anderson either. 

Good post. I agree on the inability of most folks to strategically think long-term, not just in football, but in the really important things as well.

Looks so far like he’s Bruce Irvin to me. 

kiwifalcon and PokerSteve like this

3 hours ago, RING OF HONOR said:

I saw that too...

Its like your child has a 50 grade... And they raise it too a 57 and you congratulate them....when both grades are still F's

Get Vic one of these stickers to stick on his chest:

M-FS-S-FS-MS1546_1.jpeg

With one of these trophies:

563a3cd72900002f004dc25f.jpeg?cache=eyqj

FROM YOURS TRULY:

865185182.0.jpg

Signed,

Your Biggest Fan!!!

RING OF HONOR likes this

4 minutes ago, falcndave said:

Beasley is not a bad football player. As I recall, PFF has him ranked in the top 50 edge rushers (46th?). Anyway. There are right around 64 edge rushers starting in the NFL and a handful of rotational guys that are interchangeable with some of those. 

If I were making decisions for the Falcons, I absolutely want Beasley if I can get get him for money that is line with being a top 50 edge rusher (Not a top 10 or 30 even). However, if there is even one team in the league that wants to pay him for his outlier season (2016 was different, his other 3 seasons are all the same), more power to him/them. Let them pay him when he is a FA.

I'd trade him for a 3rd or 4th rounder in about 14 seconds if anybody wants to pony that up. You might be able to get a guy guy one a rookie deal who will become a top 50 graded edge rusher in those rounds. 

I think the $12.8 has as many fans upset as the lack of "official" sacks. It's clear from the stats Larry provided above that Vic Beasley is not Top Ten, but neither is he worthless.

I'm curious to see what type of stance he and his agent take with the Falcons, because to me it would seem extremely difficult to ask for $12.8 based on his production. Maybe about half of that would be more realistic.

falcndave and Flying Falcon like this

1 minute ago, PokerSteve said:

I think the $12.8 has as many fans upset as the lack of "official" sacks. It's clear from the stats Larry provided above that Vic Beasley is not Top Ten, but neither is he worthless.

I'm curious to see what type of stance he and his agent take with the Falcons, because to me it would seem extremely difficult to ask for $12.8 based on his production. Maybe about half of that would be more realistic.

Give'em 5-6 million with some free tix to the Hawks games.

PokerSteve likes this