NOVAFalconFan

So what do we think about Sark and the playcalling?

62 posts in this topic

Sark is getting the most out of the second worst Oline in the league. Considering we have a wet napkin that cannot run block he is sticking too much to the run.

I said during the summer that hiring Sark wasn't the problem with the 2017 offense. The problem with the 2017 offense was that Sark was hired and then told to run Shanny's offense and it just doesn't work like that. You cannot run another man's offense. This summer him and Matt got together and they put Sark's offense in place. They said the exact same thing on the broadcast last night. That is why the play calling looks better. That's why there's not all the communication issues on the field that we saw last year. It's because Sark is running his offense now.

Sarks been good this season.

i like how he realised early we couldn't get any thing up the middle and had to be selective when we went there.

Sarks response playaction with a reverse holding the LBers and going behind them with a cross.

Falcons have been really good on 3rd down since Sarks been calling plays here.

Blitz beating options we beat the blitz for the most part all night.

RiseUpcollegepark likes this

1 hour ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Sark wasn't the issue in 2017, the players were. Me and a few select folks tried to tell everyone that but no one would listen to logic and reason.

Sark's playcalling and gameplanning was **** last year. The pace was terrible. He has gotten away from trying to copy Shanahan and it has payed off massively. We are still not there yet though, the running game is garbage this year, and we have benefitted from a pretty easy offensive schedule. 

1 hour ago, Dr Long Shot said:

Sark's playcalling and gameplanning was **** last year. The pace was terrible. He has gotten away from trying to copy Shanahan and it has payed off massively. We are still not there yet though, the running game is garbage this year, and we have benefitted from a pretty easy offensive schedule. 

Because he was trying to run Shanny's playbook. No coach can come in and run another coach's offense. It just doesn't work. We saw that last year. But there were also plenty of times last year where the play call was fine and the players failed.

There's on so much he can do to mask the lack of blocking up front.

11 hours ago, red falcon said:

He wasnt really that bad. Our oline was just trash.

Yeah, I don't understand this post lol. Sark has been fantastic all year save for the occasional toss play. 

5 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Sark wasn't the issue in 2017, the players were. Me and a few select folks tried to tell everyone that but no one would listen to logic and reason.

While the players were part of the problem too, Sark was below average last year.  He wasn’t put in a position to succeed by Quinn & TD....and as such, he didn’t.  He did not gameplan opponents well at all.  See the playoff loss in Phili as example.  Knapp is not getting enough credit for helping turn things around this year.  Sark has improved, but he now has the support he needs.

The now infamous “All Sark No Bite” clearly demonstrates Sarkisian struggles in 2017

Edited by Falconsin2012

Trufant needs  to be let go ASAP , and replaced even if it's a young Rookie,,  Because Tru is not the truth anymore. He's finished,, he needs to retire.

17 hours ago, DogIsYourName said:

Sark did a great job.  My favorite were the two identical play action fake reverse plays in a row, where the second one ended up being a bomb TD to Hall.  That was brilliant playcalling for two reasons.  First, he set them up for the bomb by showing the same thing twice when you'd assume the reverse was coming the second time.  Second, we couldn't pass protect long enough to throw deep --- but this fake reverse held the pass rush long enough for Hall to get open downfield.

My only complaint is we ran the ball too much.  I think we need to keep 7 in for blocking and send three guys out into pass patterns when we face good DL teams.

I really think the only reason we kept running the ball was to set up play action.  Our RBs only had 18 total carries.

Ergo Proxy and PokerSteve like this

16 hours ago, red falcon said:

I dont know how we got em on playaction so many times, we could not run the ball. Bunch of eager beavers.

That's one reason to stick with the run even when it isn't giving you great dividends.  Because even if it isn't working, the linebackers have to respect it.  You get a linebacker and a safety to hesitate for a second and it opens up a lot downfield.

We got em because we didn't abandon the run.  I'm looking at you Dirk Koetter.

9 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

This and while he had some issues with play calls, to assume that he couldn't improve after year one with all that he had working against him didn't make much sense to me.  

Falconsfan567 and Ergo Proxy like this

Just now, JDaveG said:

That's one reason to stick with the run even when it isn't giving you great dividends.  Because even if it isn't working, the linebackers have to respect it.  You get a linebacker and a safety to hesitate for a second and it opens up a lot downfield.

We got em because we didn't abandon the run.  I'm looking at you Dirk Koetter.

Exactly, we didn't run more than we had to just enough to keep pa game going.

JDaveG and Ergo Proxy like this

Also, while I was a huge fan of the Knapp hire, the truth is Knapp is great to have, but he isn't the reason the offense is working better.  Bad drops, poor execution, poor communication were the issues last season.  And the offense wasn't bad last season, it was just average.

What we're seeing this season is much better execution and communication, but still too many idiotic penalties at bad times.  Clean up the penalties and this offense is unstoppable.

9 hours ago, osiruz said:

Sark is getting the most out of the second worst Oline in the league. Considering we have a wet napkin that cannot run block he is sticking too much to the run.

They can’t pass block either. We’re 11th in passing attempts and 26th in rushing attempts. Matt threw the ball, what, 39 times last game? There’s only so much more unbalanced you can get behind this line considering they’re still in the bottom 5 for most quarterback hits allowed. 

It doesn’t always look it but what few rushing attempts we do have keeps the defense honest and actually helps out the line when we do go playaction. You tip the run/pass ratio any further Matt loses what little protection he’s still got. Matt’s already doing enough chuckin’ and duckin’ as it is.

1 minute ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

They can’t pass block either. We’re 11th in passing attempts and 26th in rushing attempts. Matt threw the ball, what, 39 times last game? There’s only so much more unbalanced you can get behind this line considering they’re still in the bottom 5 for most quarterback hits allowed. 

It doesn’t always look it but what few rushing attempts we do have keeps the defense honest and actually helps out the line when we do go playaction. You tip the run/pass ratio any further Matt loses what little protection he’s still got. Matt’s already doing enough chuckin’ and duckin’ as it is.

If it weren't for his saavy by throwing the ball early before his WRs even get out if their breaks, he'd have his OL let him down even more 

15 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Also, while I was a huge fan of the Knapp hire, the truth is Knapp is great to have, but he isn't the reason the offense is working better.  Bad drops, poor execution, poor communication were the issues last season.  And the offense wasn't bad last season, it was just average.

What we're seeing this season is much better execution and communication, but still too many idiotic penalties at bad times.  Clean up the penalties and this offense is unstoppable.

Referencing something vel pointed out last year... 

We were #1 in time of possession per drive, #2 in number of plays ran per drive, and #3 yards per drive, and #7 in points per drive last season. An offense doesn’t move the ball like that if your offensive coordinator were anywhere near as bad as this board tried to make him out to be.

11 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

I'd like to see us run more from 3 wr sets, and try a few reverses with Gage.

40 minutes ago, osiruz said:

I'd like to see us run more from 3 wr sets, and try a few reverses with Gage.

Well, hey, the way they’re scrambling right now to get the running game going, I’m sure we’ll see more of that sooner or later, especially as Sark gets more of his offense in.

Ergo Proxy and Falconsfan567 like this

1 hour ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Referencing something vel pointed out last year... 

We were #1 in time of possession per drive, #2 in number of plays ran per drive, and #3 yards per drive, and #7 in points per drive last season. An offense doesn’t move the ball like that if your offensive coordinator were anywhere near as bad as this board tried to make him out to be.

Its overreaction stuff. He definitely lended the fan base to some head scratchers, but the witch hunt got momentum really quick here.

18 hours ago, red falcon said:

I dont know how we got em on playaction so many times, we could not run the ball. Bunch of eager beavers.

Because it only takes one play of solid blocking to spring Teco loose for a big, game-changing play, like that 30-yard TD run. They know how explosive Teco is just like how the Falcons knew how explosive Barkley is.