NOVAFalconFan

So what do we think about Sark and the playcalling?

62 posts in this topic

I really liked the Teco TD, and the play to Ito would have been a TD for sure.  Those looked like how the offense is supposed to look. Seems like Matt and he are getting on the same page now.  We had some 3rd down routes that were short of the line to gain which I didn’t love, but our biggest problems on offense now are bad protection and penalties.  Protection we probably can’t fix at this point, but we should be able to fix the penalties.  

Sark did a great job.  My favorite were the two identical play action fake reverse plays in a row, where the second one ended up being a bomb TD to Hall.  That was brilliant playcalling for two reasons.  First, he set them up for the bomb by showing the same thing twice when you'd assume the reverse was coming the second time.  Second, we couldn't pass protect long enough to throw deep --- but this fake reverse held the pass rush long enough for Hall to get open downfield.

My only complaint is we ran the ball too much.  I think we need to keep 7 in for blocking and send three guys out into pass patterns when we face good DL teams.

You cant do a whole when your O Line sucks as bad as ours.

I think Sark is dialing it up as best he can. But if ya aint got Blockers then nothing gonna work. Its plain and simple.

on the side - Im getting REALLY SICK of Julio's drops. This has been a continuing on-going problem the past 2 years. Shape up or Ship him out

I thought he could have called a few more roll outs last night with the pressure the Giants were getting.  I didn't like the pitch to Teco when the Giants were crowding the line on the last drive that resulted in a 4 yard loss but Matt bailed him out and he learned his lesson on that one.  Like with all coordinators, I agreed with some of what he did and didn't agree with some of it.  That's the nature of being a fan lol. 

I've always believed Sark would figure it out.  He's a great, former college QB of a high octane offensive team, and he has had multiple, successful stints as a coordinator.  The guy knows offense.  That being said, I still think he could make things easier by utilizing the backs in the passing game more.  

3 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

I've always believed Sark would figure it out.  He's a great, former college QB of a high octane offensive team, and he has had multiple, successful stints as a coordinator.  The guy knows offense.  That being said, I still think he could make things easier by utilizing the backs in the passing game more.  

I like this, and i did see more passes to the RBs last night than before. I think Sark is doing GREAT, i think he is doing what Shannahan did on our SB Year. Ryan is putting up MVP stats.

The problem is programming an Offense that has to be High-Octaine every posession because our Defense is sucky. That is a challenge for any OC in the NFL. But Sark is doing good, i applaud him. I love his new schemes and play calls. Much more varied than last season.

6 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

Probably needs them to stay in to give matt a chance to get the ball out.

Ergo Proxy and PokerSteve like this

I"ll be honest and kind by saying,, He's getting a lot better each game we play,,, He better ask Ryan how he thinks he is doing.. And take advise from Ryan!!! If not we could have a ruff ending to this year.. If he would swallow pride and let Ryan tell him what they need.. I think we can go a long way,, like all the way.. This year has not been about tallent,, we have that ,, it's all about calling the right plays and taking advantage of our best plays and wearing them out,, over and over!! Stick with what works.. even if it's mixing them up,, stay with what we do best.. Great teams play smart!! We have the talent,, But the question is,, do we have the right HC. And OC...our D# is doing a great job and getting a lot better.. But our O# is the main concern,, We have the players to have a Great O# as well,, it's how hard headed will our  OC be????  He needs to be willing to change a play here or there. Stick will the Simple more also.. KISS !! Keep Its Simple Stupid  !! I'm serious,, a lot of teams simply out smart themselves.. Just like when Denver won it all,, they just used the same plays over and over,, just mixing them up,, That a smart thing to do. And the players get those down so well, it makes those high percentage plays..

NCFalconfan likes this

1 hour ago, RiseUpcollegepark said:

Sark has been GREAT. 

2 hours ago, NCFalconfan said:

Sark has made some strides for sure. I would still like to see more blitz beating options and the toss sweep thrown in the garbage though. 

2 hours ago, DogIsYourName said:

Sark did a great job.  My favorite were the two identical play action fake reverse plays in a row, where the second one ended up being a bomb TD to Hall.  That was brilliant playcalling for two reasons.  First, he set them up for the bomb by showing the same thing twice when you'd assume the reverse was coming the second time.  Second, we couldn't pass protect long enough to throw deep --- but this fake reverse held the pass rush long enough for Hall to get open downfield.

My only complaint is we ran the ball too much.  I think we need to keep 7 in for blocking and send three guys out into pass patterns when we face good DL teams.

6 minutes ago, octoslash said:

If the Falcons had a decent offensive line we'd be talking about which team will hire Sark as HC after the season.   The offense is getting ridiculous production,  with almost no pass protection.

Let's sign Sark to a 3 year deal. Matt NEEDS stability at the OC position. Brady and Brees have that luxury.

Ergo Proxy likes this

18 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Let's sign Sark to a 3 year deal. Matt NEEDS stability at the OC position. Brady and Brees have that luxury.

But...when the team owners come calling it makes no difference what your coordinators' contracts say. 

1 hour ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Yep. The 2 play action plays were set up beautifully. We need more inside zone runs. I hate the stretch play. We lose yards on many of them. Keeping 7 in is the key to keeping Matt upright. We did run alot of 2TE & 3TE sets. If only we had better blocking we could be UNSTOPPABLE!!!

Ergo Proxy likes this