A-TowN.-

Quinnen Williams, DT Alabama

24 posts in this topic

I was looking at some games of Deionte Thompson and Raekwon Davis, and then this guy started to flash like crazy. #92 gets in the backfield quite a bit, just look for yourself. He’s quick off the snap & uses his hands to avoid contact. A few plays he gets held in check, but his explosive plays make up for that. 

datchrisb1 likes this

I've always liked Raekwon over Quiennen, but Williams has really grown on me the last couple of weeks. I'd like to see more sacks from him, but DTs are not known for sacks unless you're name is Warren Sapp.

Speaking of Alabama players, I wouldn't mind moving Rico to CB if he can recover from the Achilles. Then draft Thompson to play single high S. 

12 hours ago, tl;dr said:

Speaking of Alabama players, I wouldn't mind moving Rico to CB if he can recover from the Achilles. Then draft Thompson to play single high S. 

Yeah Thompson is easily the best FS in this class right now. 

21 hours ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

I've always liked Raekwon over Quiennen, but Williams has really grown on me the last couple of weeks. I'd like to see more sacks from him, but DTs are not known for sacks unless you're name is Warren Sapp.

Yeah Raekwon stuck out a lot to me the first couple weeks, but Quinnen has strung together a few incredible games. He’s been getting in the backfield a ton. He’s very disruptive 

16 minutes ago, Summerhill said:

Yeah I feel like if we keep winning (which isn’t a bad thing), then we will be out of range to pick him. He shows more flashes than Oliver at times. 

6 minutes ago, A-TowN.- said:

Yeah Raekwon stuck out a lot to me the first couple weeks, but Quinnen has strung together a few incredible games. He’s been getting in the backfield a ton. He’s very disruptive 

Double dip?

I don't think we have a problem with talent at the DT position, I think we have a problem with depth. If you look at our base (4-3 under), you've got Grady and Senat, which looks like a great tandem you can play together for the foreseeable future. In nickel, you can rotate Crawford in who looks like a different player this year.

McClain and Shelby are probably gone after this year, so we probably just need a couple of rotational pieces. For that reason, I'd put more priority on an edge guy, either someone who can put pressure on Beasley or someone who can play the 4/5 tech in base and slide inside in nickel. Either of those would have a bigger impact on this team and play far more snaps.

kiwifalcon likes this

1 hour ago, Smiler11 said:

I don't think we have a problem with talent at the DT position, I think we have a problem with depth. If you look at our base (4-3 under), you've got Grady and Senat, which looks like a great tandem you can play together for the foreseeable future. In nickel, you can rotate Crawford in who looks like a different player this year.

McClain and Shelby are probably gone after this year, so we probably just need a couple of rotational pieces. For that reason, I'd put more priority on an edge guy, either someone who can put pressure on Beasley or someone who can play the 4/5 tech in base and slide inside in nickel. Either of those would have a bigger impact on this team and play far more snaps.

The Falcons don't have a talent problem at DT, but they don't have a talent glut, either. The top 15 of the draft is where you hope to select a player who will make 3-4 Pro Bowls. I think it is pretty safe to say Jarrett and Senat won't make 3-4 Pro Bowls. 

If some DT in this draft is going to be the next Fletcher Cox, you pick him. There's no guarantee any other player will make 3-4 Pro Bowls. Look at Cox's draft. The players picked after him were Michael Floyd, Michael Brockers, Quinton Coples, Dre Kirkpatrick, Melvin Ingram, Shea McClellin, and Kendall Wright. Every NFL fan would pick Cox over all those players no matter the team situation because talent is most important. 

13 minutes ago, Summerhill said:

The Falcons don't have a talent problem at DT, but they don't have a talent glut, either. The top 15 of the draft is where you hope to select a player who will make 3-4 Pro Bowls. I think it is pretty safe to say Jarrett and Senat won't make 3-4 Pro Bowls. 

If some DT in this draft is going to be the next Fletcher Cox, you pick him. There's no guarantee any other player will make 3-4 Pro Bowls. Look at Cox's draft. The players picked after him were Michael Floyd, Michael Brockers, Quinton Coples, Dre Kirkpatrick, Melvin Ingram, Shea McClellin, and Kendall Wright. Every NFL fan would pick Cox over all those players no matter the team situation because talent is most important. 

I think Grady absolutely could make 3-4 pro bowls, but even if he doesn't the law averages tell you that our chances of drafting a DT better than Grady are pretty slim. If you look at the last 3 drafts it's hard to name one better than Grady... Chris Jones maybe and he was a 2nd round pick.

kiwifalcon likes this

10/20/18: Source from multiple teams, including two general managers, tell us that they are projecting Williams to be a high first-round pick if he stays consistent with his performance thus far and enters the 2019 NFL Draft. Sources say they are hearing at Alabama that the redshirt sophomore Williams plans on filing paperwork with the NFL Draft Advisory Board for the 2019 NFL Draft. If Williams hears a high first-round projection, he could easily enter the 2019 NFL Draft, and that is what many NFL evaluators think is likely.

In 2018, Williams has 29 tackles with 7.5 tackles for a loss, 1.5 sacks and one pass batted. He has caused more disruption than the numbers indicate.

Williams has broken out for Alabama this year. Raekwon Davis and Isaiah Buggs garnered more preseason hype, but Williams has been the most consistent play-maker and disruptor on the Crimson Tide's defensive line. Williams is very fast at the point of attack with the ability to fire a gap and cause havoc in the backfield. The redshirt sophomore also has natural strength that is illustrated with a potent bull rush and the power to toss blockers to the side. If those measurements are legit, he could be a good fit as a three-technique in a 4-3 defense or as a five-technique in a 3-4.

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 8:40 AM, Summerhill said:

Agreed. He's really good. Walter Football has him going in the top 3 now. 

I like him too!

After that GA game, starting to question the competition. Looked pretty average today, but hey could have been just not his best day. 

18 minutes ago, datchrisb1 said:

After that GA game, starting to question the competition. Looked pretty average today, but hey could have been just not his best day. 

He made plays today.

9 hours ago, Cole World said:

He made plays today.

Yea he did. The whole team did. He wasn't dominating though.

Edited by datchrisb1

4 hours ago, datchrisb1 said:

Yea he did. The whole team did. He wasn't dominating though.

He was in the backfield more than any other Bama DL. Getting in Fromm’s face and stopping the run. I’d still take him over most DTs.