Next Gen stats for Matt Ryan last week

Ergo Proxy

Next Gen Stats: Inside Matt Ryan's sterling performance

https://falcons.pocket.nfl.com/news/next-gen-stats-inside-matt-ryan-s-sterling-performance-and-two-clutch-sacks-by-f

r3xzklsrmkk9eg8tlgev.jpg

Matt Ryan is in the zone
Matt Ryan is dealing. Following the win over Tampa Bay, Ryan ranks fifth in completion percentage (69.6), third in yards (1,955), fifth in yards per attempt (8.73), tied for fourth in touchdowns (14), fourth in passer rating (113.6), and tied for third in passes of 25-plus yards (16). He completed better-than 70 percent of his passes for the fourth time this season and became one of five quarterbacks to hit on 75 percent of their passes on 40-or-more attempts.

Ryan opened the game by completing his first 12 passes, which included a 35-yard touchdown to Mohamed Sanu. He finished the game completing 31 of 41 passes for 354 yards and three scores. The Falcons attacked the left side of the field – the right side of the Buccaneers defense. More than half of Ryan’s total passing yards came when throwing to his left as he connected on 14 of 17 throws for 180 yards and two touchdowns.

l52kcvwmzkvvu6q3skd0.jpg

“I felt like I was in a good rhythm to start,” said Ryan.” [I was] seeing things clearly, putting the ball where I wanted to put it, making good decisions. It is a good feeling when you're in that spot. And you just try and stay there, with each play call that comes in, you try and make the right reads, go to the right spot and be accurate with the football.”

mqhw6immnv1rkef15rkl.jpg

For a long time, 60 percent has kind of been like the Mendoza Line for quarterbacks’ completion percentage in the NFL. As offenses have evolved, that line is starting to creep up. Of the 30 who attempted at least 15 passes in Week 6, 22 of them had expected completion percentages 60 percent or higher. Ryan’s expected completion percentage against the Bucs was 65.3 percent. He blew that away by more than 10 percentage points at 75.6 percent.

Only three quarterbacks had a larger differential between their expected completion percentage and their actual completion percentage. Ryan’s 75.6 percentage was the second-highest in the league last week and he threw 11 more passes than New York Jets rookie quarterback Sam Darnold, who checked in at 80 percent (24 of 30).

Key to Ryan’s success last week was his ability to complete passes in tight windows. Falcons receivers all hovered right around the league average of 2.79 yards of separation on their targets. Ryan showed great trust in his receivers completing passes to eight different receivers, including players like Justin Hardy and Russell Gage who have not seen many targets this season.

dairzhlcsob3q0q73i7n.jpg

“It's impressive for the guys that don't get all of the same number of snaps but when they get their chances, make plays,” said Ryan. “It's really cool to see but that's what makes good football teams.”

rqzv4xkqoc6vyck7gtxb.jpg

For the second straight week Ryan zeroed in on tight end Austin Hooper to move the chains. Hooper caught nine of 10 targets for 71 yards and a score while averaging 3.06 yards of separation. Ryan also found plenty of opportunities to get the ball to Julio Jones as he caught 10 of 14 targets for 143 yards while averaging 3.42 yards of separation.

9 minutes ago, mattyicefalcon said:

So basically,  he needs to be at 70% completion mark for our team to have any chance to get W.

Ill send some positive vibes to our offensive line. 

I sincerely hope he can sustain this week in week out. 

I think he has proven he can in the WCO since 2016.

2017 had so many drops. Cut them in half to meet league average and his percentage is over 67% for the year just adjusting drops.

We just struggled to covert in RZ down the stretch last year being our main issue.

Ridley has been such a huge addition for us.

It sucks Andy is down as it hurts losing your best OG, but I believe in this OL to improve as the season goes along. Just gotta improve vs blitz to avoid Pitt happening again and get our run game going without Free.

DiMarco replacement watch still out.

I just liked seeing the charts show how much we pepper teams.

That really long incompletion was the Julio underthrown I’m pretty sure. Sometimes it’s a sync issue but that was a clear underthrow. If we get that part of the offense up to par we can take the next step as an offense; as with the other areas.

Sanu being out would suck, but it sounds like Ridley might play as it’s more of a bone bruise than a sprain.

Just now, Ergo Proxy said:

I think he has proven he can in the WCO since 2016.

2017 had so many drops. Cut them in half to meet league average and his percentage is over 67% for the year just adjusting drops.

We just struggled to covert in RZ down the stretch last year being our main issue.

Ridley has been such a huge addition for us.

It sucks Andy is down as it hurts losing your best OG, but I believe in this OL to improve as the season goes along. Just gotta improve vs blitz to avoid Pitt happening again and get our run game going without Free.

DiMarco replacement watch still out.

I just liked seeing the charts show how much we pepper teams.

That really long incompletion was the Julio underthrown I’m pretty sure. Sometimes it’s a sync issue but that was a clear underthrow. If we get that part of the offense up to par we can take the next step as an offense; as with the other areas.

Sanu being out would suck, but it sounds like Ridley might play as it’s more of a bone bruise than a sprain.

We got Marvin Hall, Russell , Hardy aint sweatin brah...

As long as they can give Matt Ryan around 3-4 secs.....bammmm!! Its gonna be lit!