This Sums It Up Perfectly For Me

Falconsfan567

This new transfer rule and other things, well this sums it up perfectly for me and why I don't like it. Kids are so entitled to everything these days and it's because no one ever makes them earn what they've got. No one makes them work hard for it. If it's not handed to you then you quit and go find someone else who's going to give it to you. There's no desire to work hard and reap the benefits of what you've earned. This whole mindset is "I am the center of my own universe." That's not good for the future people running this country. That's not good for the future people in positions of authority in this country.

19 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

Dude it's not that simple. Players transfer so NFL scouts can see them play. Get over it.

Dude, it's not just about that. It's the mindset that is being driven into them from high school when their parents lets them change schools so that they can be on a better team so that the college recruiters see them. It's all about doing what's best for me, me, me. Whatever is best for me. That's not a good mindset to have. I know. I know what happens when you're the center of your own universe. Nothing is ever good enough for you. You constantly use and abuse people to get it your way. And if you don't get it your way then you throw a fit until you do get it or way or you become extremely bitter and depressed because someone didn't cave in to you. Do you like going to a doctor who's biggest goal is to charge you the most he can and it doesn't matter to him if you're fine or not? I **** sure don't like dealing with people like that. I want to deal with a doctor who's going to put my best interest above his own and not charge me that extra chunk of chain for an x-ray or MRI that I don't need. We're not teaching kids to have that mindset about life. We're teaching them that they are the most important thing in the world and it doesn't matter what happens to others as long as you look out for #1.

33 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

This new transfer rule and other things, well this sums it up perfectly for me and why I don't like it. Kids are so entitled to everything these days and it's because no one ever makes them earn what they've got. No one makes them work hard for it. If it's not handed to you then you quit and go find someone else who's going to give it to you. There's no desire to work hard and reap the benefits of what you've earned. This whole mindset is "I am the center of my own universe." That's not good for the future people running this country. That's not good for the future people in positions of authority in this country.

"Why can't people just suck it up and take one for the team. Never mind looking out for their own best interests. Never mind that they could potentially be starting for 13 other teams in the conference... they should take their lumps because otherwise it's a sense of entitlement..."

A wise man once told me... "If you don't look out for yourself, who is going to do it for you?"

That doesn't mean that some of this stuff doesn't go too far, but wanting kids to be stuck in sharty one sided contracts that benefit only the school is a joke.

Edited by fibonaccisquared

6 minutes ago, fibonaccisquared said:

"Why can't people just suck it up and take one for the team. Never mind looking out for their own best interests. Never mind that they could potentially be starting for 13 other teams in the conference... they should take their lumps because otherwise it's a sense of entitlement..."

A wise man once told me... "If you don't look out for yourself, who is going to do it for you?"

That doesn't mean that some of this stuff doesn't go too far, but wanting kids to be stuck in sharty one sided contracts that benefit only the school is a joke.

Again, it's not just about transferring college. I'm talking about in all aspects of life. Did you guys read the thing I quoted? He wasn't just talking about college transfers. It's talking about in all aspects of life. He just used the college analogy to get the point across.

4 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

It's all about doing what's best for me, me, me. Whatever is best for me. That's not a good mindset to have. I know. I know what happens when you're the center of your own universe. Nothing is ever good enough for you. You constantly use and abuse people to get it your way. And if you don't get it your way then you throw a fit until you do get it or way or you become extremely bitter and depressed because someone didn't cave in to you.

:lol: What!?!

When it comes to your career, education, livelihood, etc... yes, you should be looking out for yourself. College coaches aren't in the business of "looking out for every recruit they bring in"... In fact, most of them make no bones about the fact that they are going to try and recruit over you... make you work harder... etc. For some, it may be possible that the constant pressure works for them and pushes them to be better. For others, they get left in the wreckage as the train moves past... a reasonable alternative for them is to find a better place for themselves where they can contribute to a new team in whatever capacity they feel is valuable for them. How is this reflective of someone who wants to use and abuse people to get their way. If anything, college teams *use and abuse* athletes to try and get to the top of the heap... I don't find this to be particularly accurate, but it's certainly more accurate than your original statement.

7 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Do you like going to a doctor who's biggest goal is to charge you the most he can and it doesn't matter to him if you're fine or not? I **** sure don't like dealing with people like that. I want to deal with a doctor who's going to put my best interest above his own and not charge me that extra chunk of chain for an x-ray or MRI that I don't need. We're not teaching kids to have that mindset about life. We're teaching them that they are the most important thing in the world and it doesn't matter what happens to others as long as you look out for #1.

Disingenuous comparison to say the least. At best it would be like if a kid was working really hard to get into medical school at Harvard on scholarship. They did finally accept him, but due to the academic standards of that year, he was only given a 15% scholarship instead of a full ride. He accepted it, but in considering his options, transferring to Johns Hopkins gave him the opportunity to get a more complete scholarship and go into less debt setting himself up for greater success in the future. Admittedly, this is still a stretch because playing time ≠ scholarship dollars, but it's a **** of a lot closer than what you just put in your post.

1 minute ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Again, it's not just about transferring college. I'm talking about in all aspects of life. Did you guys read the thing I quoted? He wasn't just talking about college transfers. It's talking about in all aspects of life. He just used the college analogy to get the point across.

Ok... so he also mentions HS, travel team, and role on team.

Nothing changes there when you change the "channel"...

HS - transfer because unable to get on the field. If there is another opportunity to see the field, guess what, scholarships now are on the table, rather than playing 3rd string and never getting the opportunity to show anyone that you are worthy of one. Why should a kid be penalized because he is the 3rd string QB behind the next Cam Newton and/or Tom Brady... Just because he's not good enough to start for team A doesn't mean he should be relegated to the bench. If you have the means/ability/desire to get on the field somewhere and compete, what reason should they remain on the team that is unwilling to give them the opportunity to play (or play significant minutes).

Travel Team... you pay to be on these teams. If they can't be assed to at least get you on the field in some meaningful capacity, you're on the wrong team to begin with. 

This "suck it up and deal" mentality is ridiculous. It was fine when you didn't have visibility into what the alternatives were. In the modern world, businesses make decisions based on all available information. Employees do the same. And so should athletes. You're self handicapping if you don't.

2 minutes ago, fibonaccisquared said:

Disingenuous comparison to say the least. At best it would be like if a kid was working really hard to get into medical school at Harvard on scholarship. They did finally accept him, but due to the academic standards of that year, he was only given a 15% scholarship instead of a full ride. He accepted it, but in considering his options, transferring to Johns Hopkins gave him the opportunity to get a more complete scholarship and go into less debt setting himself up for greater success in the future. Admittedly, this is still a stretch because playing time ≠ scholarship dollars, but it's a **** of a lot closer than what you just put in your post.

No it's not. Again, teaching kids that they are the most important thing in their own life and everyone should cater to their needs and wants is not a good thing. It's like when everyone gets a participation trophy so no one's feelings get hurt. We are teaching them that they are entitled when no one is entitled to anything. You want something in life? You get out and you work for it. As my economic's professor once said "there's no such thing as a free lunch unless you're a cat or a dog." But that line of thinking has gone away and now days all folks want is a hand out. No one wants to earn anything anymore. There's no sense of accomplishment.

Just now, Falconsfan567 said:

No it's not. Again, teaching kids that they are the most important thing in their own life and everyone should cater to their needs and wants is not a good thing.

Who said everyone should cater to their needs. You are adding subtext that wasn't included. If situation A is not the best situation for Individual X, why should X not consider situation B, which may be better? It doesn't mean it should be their *only* thought, but you act like these kids that make the choices make them in a vacuum. They are determining what is the best course of action for their lives. They are correct to do so.

2 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

It's like when everyone gets a participation trophy so no one's feelings get hurt. We are teaching them that they are entitled when no one is entitled to anything. You want something in life? You get out and you work for it.

This is one of my favorites... You know who participation trophies are for? Hint, it's not the kids who get them. It's for their parents. Every kid knows when they get a participation trophy wtf it is... it's a reminder that you weren't good enough to win anything real... If a kid is riding the bench for a coach that doesn't appreciate their skillset or what they are capable of, or because they simply aren't as good as the person that is starting in front of them, WHY ARE THEY IN YOUR OPINION REQUIRED TO REMAIN IN THAT POSITION? If they can go out and earn a starting position on another team, even if that team isn't as good, perhaps that's a better situation for them. It doesn't have to be the decision that YOU would make, but you're flat out wrong to assume that everyone should make the same decision that you believe is appropriate. It's the beauty of free will.

As my economic's professor once said "there's no such thing as a free lunch unless you're a cat or a dog." But that line of thinking has gone away and now days all folks want is a hand out. No one wants to earn anything anymore. There's no sense of accomplishment.

More BS. If a kid transfers from School 1 to School 2... they still have to win the starting job at the new place. See Chryst at Tennessee... grad transfer from Stanford, wasn't going to be starting, is not starting at Tennessee. Sometimes it's just a better spot for you to at least have a chance, whether that's due to the talent in front of you or the coaches' opinion of you. If he had won the starting job, it would have still been an accomplishment... perhaps less than if he'd won the starting job at Stanford, but that may not have been in the cards for him. Why do you feel the need to categorize what is/isn't an accomplishment or earned for other people?

2 minutes ago, fibonaccisquared said:

Who said everyone should cater to their needs. You are adding subtext that wasn't included. If situation A is not the best situation for Individual X, why should X not consider situation B, which may be better? It doesn't mean it should be their *only* thought, but you act like these kids that make the choices make them in a vacuum. They are determining what is the best course of action for their lives. They are correct to do so.

This is one of my favorites... You know who participation trophies are for? Hint, it's not the kids who get them. It's for their parents. Every kid knows when they get a participation trophy wtf it is... it's a reminder that you weren't good enough to win anything real... If a kid is riding the bench for a coach that doesn't appreciate their skillset or what they are capable of, or because they simply aren't as good as the person that is starting in front of them, WHY ARE THEY IN YOUR OPINION REQUIRED TO REMAIN IN THAT POSITION? If they can go out and earn a starting position on another team, even if that team isn't as good, perhaps that's a better situation for them. It doesn't have to be the decision that YOU would make, but you're flat out wrong to assume that everyone should make the same decision that you believe is appropriate. It's the beauty of free will.

More BS. If a kid transfers from School 1 to School 2... they still have to win the starting job at the new place. See Chryst at Tennessee... grad transfer from Stanford, wasn't going to be starting, is not starting at Tennessee. Sometimes it's just a better spot for you to at least have a chance, whether that's due to the talent in front of you or the coaches' opinion of you. If he had won the starting job, it would have still been an accomplishment... perhaps less than if he'd won the starting job at Stanford, but that may not have been in the cards for him. Why do you feel the need to categorize what is/isn't an accomplishment or earned for other people?

You are so hooked on football when I am using a football analogy to get a LIFE point across. My point is about LIFE!!! Not football. Why is that hard to understand?

6 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

In other words it's ok to be a quitter in life?

:lol: Did I say they quit? They continued playing their sport, right? Not playing on the same team ≠ quitting.

Let's say it's not sports... You work at a company as a top Account Executive. You're crushing the game. Closing huge deals, bringing in a ton of money. You're one of the top two AEs in the company. All of a sudden one opening comes up for the new VP/Head of Sales. You're doing everything you can as an individual, but you don't get the job it goes to the other top AE... either due to politics or because you closed $32 less than them doesn't really matter. You are a qualified candidate for a VP of Sales... Now a similar opening happens at another company. You "transfer" by applying to that position, you beat out all other candidates and get the gig for a substantial raise along with this promotion. How is that entitlement? How is that not earning what you got?

Continue making false equivalencies if you want, but your position is laughable thus far.

1 minute ago, Falconsfan567 said:

You are so hooked on football when I am using a football analogy to get a LIFE point across. My point is about LIFE!!! Not football. Why is that hard to understand?

Read what I just posted and then try to understand that I'm telling you about LIFE... You are wrong. And not just a little bit. Grossly and categorically so. 

Just now, fibonaccisquared said:

Read what I just posted and then try to understand that I'm telling you about LIFE... You are wrong. And not just a little bit. Grossly and categorically so. 

I'm not wrong. The heIl if when I'm a parent I'm going to do whatever my kid wants just so he doesn't have to work his *** off and earn things. If you're fine with then we'll agree to disagree.

I'm not wrong. The heIl if when I'm a parent I'm going to do whatever my kid wants just so he doesn't have to work his *** off and earn things. If you're fine with then we'll agree to disagree.

If you believe your position to be accurate, then please explain to me the LIFE scenario that I just gave you and how it is not working one's *** off to earn something.

No one is saying you shouldn't have to work hard or earn anything... simply that not all situations and scenarios are equivalent. If a situation arises where outside of your control you are not getting the opportunity to do something that you would in other situations, that it's at least worth considering the pro's and con's of changing your situation altogether. Rarely is that sort of decision made lightly. One would argue that it's actually the best method to prepare oneself for the real world, where your career may or may not go the route you want with the employer you have.

ETA: I *am* a parent, so can assure you that's not what I'm saying at all. My daughter is only three but she already knows that she finishes what she starts and she makes sure to try and do better each time she tries something. Work is incremental progress... it doesn't mean you should put up with a crummy situation just because you're in it.

Edited by fibonaccisquared

1 hour ago, fibonaccisquared said:

If you believe your position to be accurate, then please explain to me the LIFE scenario that I just gave you and how it is not working one's *** off to earn something.

No one is saying you shouldn't have to work hard or earn anything... simply that not all situations and scenarios are equivalent. If a situation arises where outside of your control you are not getting the opportunity to do something that you would in other situations, that it's at least worth considering the pro's and con's of changing your situation altogether. Rarely is that sort of decision made lightly. One would argue that it's actually the best method to prepare oneself for the real world, where your career may or may not go the route you want with the employer you have.

ETA: I *am* a parent, so can assure you that's not what I'm saying at all. My daughter is only three but she already knows that she finishes what she starts and she makes sure to try and do better each time she tries something. Work is incremental progress... it doesn't mean you should put up with a crummy situation just because you're in it.

Sometimes you have NO CHOICE but to put up with a crummy situation to pay bills and make ends meet until you can get a better opportunity. You make a commitment to something then you see it through, for better or for worse. Who knows, you might actually learn something about yourself and develop the mindset that the hardest things in life are the most rewarding. That's all I was trying to say.

59 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Sometimes you have NO CHOICE but to put up with a crummy situation to pay bills and make ends meet until you can get a better opportunity. You make a commitment to something then you see it through, for better or for worse. Who knows, you might actually learn something about yourself and develop the mindset that the hardest things in life are the most rewarding. That's all I was trying to say.

That's the thing. You always have some kind of a choice. You dictate your circumstances. Sometimes the best course of action is grind where you are because there is a promising chance at a better future. Sometimes there isn't, so changing your situation may be the best option. This the process of evaluating. 

26 minutes ago, fibonaccisquared said:

That's the thing. You always have some kind of a choice. You dictate your circumstances. Sometimes the best course of action is grind where you are because there is a promising chance at a better future. Sometimes there isn't, so changing your situation may be the best option. This the process of evaluating. 

If you're working a job there's not always a better job immediately available to you. Sometimes you just have to suck it up and deal with it for a while because you have no choice. But our generation isn't teaching the next generation to do that. They're telling them that if you don't like something then you can immediately do something else. Instant gratification is what we're teaching them. The real world doesn't work like that. Sometimes you have to put your feelings aside and do what you have to do to survive. You don't like it, but you suck it up and do it.

1 hour ago, Falconsfan567 said:

If you're working a job there's not always a better job immediately available to you. Sometimes you just have to suck it up and deal with it for a while because you have no choice. 

Isn't that more or less what I just said? 

1 hour ago, Falconsfan567 said:

But our generation isn't teaching the next generation to do that. They're telling them that if you don't like something then you can immediately do something else. Instant gratification is what we're teaching them. The real world doesn't work like that. Sometimes you have to put your feelings aside and do what you have to do to survive. You don't like it, but you suck it up and do it.

Not really... You're making it out like there is some epidemic of kids transferring for jobs that they don't have to earn. There simply isn't. They still have to win the starting job at the new place. And kids have always been allowed to transfer out to FCS/JUCO, so how is that any different? Why was it ok if they didn't stick it out?

If you're not good enough to see the field for one reason or another at school A, but school B has an opening that you're a good fit for, it is directly analogous to the job scenario I gave you. Particularly if you consider that maybe Job B is slightly lower in prestige/pay relative to Job A, but both are better than your current job/salary and offer you a chance to grow/develop. 

And in point of fact, the ones that elect to transfer account for the fact that sometimes there IS a better situation. Others that may remain because they think their scenario, despite not playing or not playing enough, is still beneficial for them whether that is coaching, education, opportunity to practice against elite competition, etc. 

This is coming from someone who is a fan of a school that has a high likelihood that a QB at least looks at/considers transferring this off-season. And Jake/Justin may be right to at least consider it pending how the rest of the season goes. It's not entitlement. It's just not myopically evaluating things from a single point of view. But you do you man. You don't seem open to listening to another viewpoint or discussing nuance, so it seems unlikely that you're going to change your stance here or provide sound logic to change my mind... So we'll probably have to agree to disagree. All good. 

People think this generation of kids is more screwed up than it actually is. But that's nothing new.

Instant gratification has been a popular non sequitur at least since I was a kid (I'm 35, I was an 80s baby and a 90s kid). I'm a fringe millennial. I've heard this same complaint about "this generation" passed on down literally my whole life. I'm going to assume it has been going for years before I existed and don't expect it to stop going after I'm gone.

1 hour ago, Carter said:

People think this generation of kids is more screwed up than it actually is. But that's nothing new.

Instant gratification has been a popular non sequitur at least since I was a kid (I'm 35, I was an 80s baby and a 90s kid). I'm a fringe millennial. I've heard this same complaint about "this generation" passed on down literally my whole life. I'm going to assume it has been going for years before I existed and don't expect it to stop going after I'm gone.

I'm 24, and I'm already livid with my future kids for ruining everything about this country. SMH