Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sidecar Falcon

NBA G League

17 posts in this topic

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nbas-g-league-to-offer-top-prospects-125k-contracts-as-an-option-to-a-one-and-done-season-in-college-basketball/

Now let me premise this by saying that I don’t know if this league will be successful or not. I am sure there are some people out there that are more knowledgeable about this than I am. 

If this is successful, do you think this type of league structure has the potential to cross into the sport of football? If so could it be successful?

Edited by Sidecar Falcon

3 hours ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nbas-g-league-to-offer-top-prospects-125k-contracts-as-an-option-to-a-one-and-done-season-in-college-basketball/

Now let me premise this by saying that I don’t know if this league will be successful or not. I am sure there are some people out there that are more knowledgeable about this than I am. 

If this is successful, do you think this type of league structure has the potential to cross into the sport of football? If so could it be successful?

Absolutely,  there is plethora of talent outhere and not everyone is fortunate to make it to pro.

Or guys, who are struggling at pro level can go back work on their mechanics or get more play time.

This will only work in basketball IMO. There are already options available for football players. NBA rosters are way smaller and of course talent will slip through the cracks. Football is much different. 

Plus I don’t support the one and foment **** anyway. These players get a scholarship off of their talent but get the education as well. It’s a free ride. Most will never make it in the pros anyway. But if they can make $125k then oh well. I don’t need see it being a success though 

Chunkey9 likes this

yea this sounds like a wonderful idea

I know this team is decimated, and desparate for football players, but this isnt the solution this season

Im coming to Flowery Branch this weekend for Try Outs, as the backup Long Snapper. I will be signing my contract by Saturday.

It could be successful but I doubt it takes off because it would destroy NCAA football. But the NFL would prosper having a farm system to properly train young football players in team’s systems for multiple years instead of playing **** near a different game in college for 3 years. The age argument is thwarted by an age limit for the G-League.

One position that would benefit immensely would be o-line. 

4 hours ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

I think that the problem is that the NFL doesn't like competition. 

4 minutes ago, Faithful Falcon said:

I think that the problem is that the NFL doesn't like competition. 

Vince McMahon said hold his beer. Even though the XFL isn’t near as big. 

17 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Vince McMahon said hold his beer. Even though the XFL isn’t near as big. 

I said the NFL doesn't like competition. The XFL could have been successful the first time around. The USFL was actually successful, and caused the NFL to negotiate better contracts. The AAF starts after the Super Bowl in February. I think if they're successful, as well as the XFL, the may for a merger. 16 teams would be nice. I'm just happy to see a lot of these guys get another chance. As well as the guys that didn't get a chance to play in the NFL.

The G League has been around for awhile.. It was called the D-League before they brought on Gatorade as their number one sponsor.  We have a team here, they are pretty popular, obviously smaller markets have a basis for these types of sports teams.  Highly doubt there is funding available to do something like this with football.  Costs of running a football team are astronomically higher than running a basketball team. That is more than likely why it hasn’t been done yet.

Well, there is the AAF coming that is trying to be similar to this.  Whether it works or not, we'll see.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this considering Atlanta is getting a team with Mike Vick as OC.

4 minutes ago, PK Manley said:

Well, there is the AAF coming that is trying to be similar to this.  Whether it works or not, we'll see.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this considering Atlanta is getting a team with Mike Vick as OC.

That flag football crap? That was a wash. You know it’s bad when Seneca Wallace looked like Tom Brady 

1 minute ago, ya_boi_j said:

That flag football crap? That was a wash. You know it’s bad when Seneca Wallace looked like Tom Brady 

Na, it's supposed to start next February and be kind of a developmental league, playing during the off-season and not trying to compete directly with the NFL.

Just now, PK Manley said:

Na, it's supposed to start next February and be kind of a developmental league, playing during the off-season and not trying to compete directly with the NFL.

Thought you were talking about the flag football crap he was apart of. I just looked up the aaf 

3 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Thought you were talking about the flag football crap he was apart of. I just looked up the aaf 

I can see why.  Forgot about that until you said it.

I'm hopeful the AAF is at least halfway decent because football during the off-season would definitely be great, and I think there's enough talent out there that didn't make it in/to the NFL.

9 hours ago, PK Manley said:

I created a post a couple of days ago with the schedule, and the tickets for the Atlanta Legends.

One thing about it not working for football, IMHO, most of those guys certainly aren't ready for the pros at all and I don't agree with rewarding them for not wanting to finish school. Basketball is completely different to me. I may be alone but that's just the thoughts going through my head