esmithidoc

In defense of Michael Turner

144 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, Knight of God said:

Who had the most TDs, 100 and 200 yd games, and ypc 

Keep in mind they had a different number of snaps. Spread across 45-83 starts over 5-8 years. If you normalize it by starts it looks like this:

COMBINED TDs, 100 YARD RUSHING GAMES, 200 YARD RUSHING GAMES, YPC

• William Andrews --- .569 combined TDs, .292 100 yard games, .00 200 yard games, 4.6 ypc
  • Michael Turner ----- .836 combined TDs, .384 100 yard games, .03 200 yard games, 4.3 ypc 
  • Devonta Freeman - .822 combined TDs, .178 100 yard games, .00 200 yard games, 4.3 ypc
  • Jamal Anderson --- .641 combined TDs, .297 100 yard games, .00 200 yard games, 4.0 ypc
  • Gerald Riggs ------- .727 combined TDs, .379 100 yard games, .03 200 yard games, 4.2 ypc

Don't forget Free and Andrews split carries with another back, whereas the others were bell cows. You have to consider their receiving prowess too. The others weren't even on the same planet.

Ergo Proxy likes this

On 10/18/2018 at 4:43 PM, Andrews_31 said:

I hope that is not what you are basing that on.  As for the top three back the Falcons ever had (IMNSHO), that would be Andrews, Riggs, and Dunn!

Andrews is the only Falcons back better than Turner. Turner was the man, and did it as the league was turning into a passing league.

2 minutes ago, Andrews_31 said:

Check out Riggs body of work (sans Skins)

Familiar with them all. We don’t need to agree, but Turner was special here. I think sometimes people just don’t want to believe a current era player can be as good or better than an old school great.

turner would have killed fools back in the previous era, when lineman were his size and LBs were 200-220 LBs. 

Osiruz likes this

Just now, 1989Fan said:

Familiar with them all. We don’t need to agree, but Turner was special here. I think sometimes people just don’t want to believe a current era player can be as good or better than an old school great.

IIRC, Riggs ran for almost 1700 yds one season, NO FUMBLES!  C'mon now!  Not taking anything away from Turner, but a lot of the old timers like me (but not me, because I can see :lol:) would place Riggs #1 as the best RB the Falcons ever had! 

30 minutes ago, Andrews_31 said:

IIRC, Riggs ran for almost 1700 yds one season, NO FUMBLES!  C'mon now!  Not taking anything away from Turner, but a lot of the old timers like me (but not me, because I can see :lol:) would place Riggs #1 as the best RB the Falcons ever had! 

Turner ran for 1700 yards too in one season with 17 rushing touchdowns to go with it.

Osiruz, 1989Fan and Knight of God like this

2 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Turner ran for 1700 yards too in one season with 17 rushing touchdowns to go with it.

Was that the season he had 42(something) carries?  Again, not taking anything away from Turner

22 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I got the Top Five All Time Falcon RBs ranked like this:

• William Andrews - 206 lb beast. Run, catch, blocking fool. Considered best in NFL in his prime
  • Michael Turner - big back with decent speed. Red zone machine. Brought the smash mouth game 
  • Devonta Freeman - 206 lb run pass threat with great vision. Broke plenty ankles. Ran us to a Bowl
  • Jamal Anderson - big back that hit you before you hit him. Also ran us to a Bowl. Dirty Bird
  • Gerald Riggs - big back that could find the end zone. Got it done on some sorry as football teams

Honorable mention to Dunn, Vick, Duckett, Norwood, Cain and IronHead.

Probably the best post I’ve ever seen from you! Agreed all around!:tiphat:

Also, can we go back to away uniforms like the one in the videos of Andrews??

57 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Keep in mind they had a different number of snaps. Spread across 45-83 starts over 5-8 years. If you normalize it by starts it looks like this:

• William Andrews --- .569 combined TDs, .292 100 yard games, .00 200 yard games, 4.6 ypc
  • Michael Turner ----- .836 combined TDs, .384 100 yard games, .03 200 yard games, 4.3 ypc 
  • Devonta Freeman - .822 combined TDs, .178 100 yard games, .00 200 yard games, 4.3 ypc
  • Jamal Anderson --- .641 combined TDs, .297 100 yard games, .00 200 yard games, 4.0 ypc
  • Gerald Riggs ------- .727 combined TDs, .379 100 yard games, .03 200 yard games, 4.2 ypc

Don't forget Free and Andrews split carries with another back, whereas the others were bell cows. You have to consider their receiving prowess too. The others weren't even on the same planet.

Yep, Lynn Cain was just shy of a 1000 yards one year!

44 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

turner would have killed fools back in the previous era, when lineman were his size and LBs were 200-220 LBs. 

BUT, we don't have to fantasize about Andrews..............................

8 hours ago, The Legendary SB said:

Turner had HUGE thighs.  Once he got those legs moving they didn't stop.  Even with a 240 pound defender hanging on for dear life.

Dude had the torque of a small car literally. Imagine DQ had him, we would have had at least 1 lombardi.

I actually think it's impossible to clearly rank guys who played in different eras and under different systems.

All of these guys; Turner, Andrews, Riggs, Anderson... these were all top tier guys in their era and within the system they played under.

Turner had those churning tree trunk thighs, Riggs had a couple of monster years... Andrews did what he did as a fullback... he was a lead blocker, a fantastic receiver, a power runner, and had the speed of a tailback. 

I can't say definitively that at their peak this one is better than that one.. I just know when you look back at it we had some guys at the RB position who were monsters. 

It was fun when we could run like that. Can you imagine our offense if we had Matt, Julio, et al, and a rushing game like we had with any of these guys? 

3 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I’d take Turner all day. 

Ergo Proxy and Osiruz like this

2 hours ago, Andrews_31 said:

Was that the season he had 42(something) carries?  Again, not taking anything away from Turner

376. You're getting mixed up with Jamal Anderson's 420 carries in 1998.

• Riggs = 1985 = 397 Carries, 1719 Yards (4.3), 10 Touchdowns
  • Turner = 2008 = 376 Carries, 1699 Yards (4.5), 17 Touchdowns
1989Fan likes this

13 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

I’d take Turner all day. 

Not if you ever saw Andrews play bro. Highlight reels don’t do him justice. He was a special player, like HOF caliber special.

what’s sad is that knee injury didn’t just destroy his career, it pretty much destroyed his life. 

TheUsualStuff likes this

3 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

376. You're getting mixed up with Jamal Anderson's 420 carries in 1998.

• Riggs = 1985 = 397 Carries, 1719 Yards (4.3), 10 Touchdowns
  • Turner = 2008 = 376 Carries, 1699 Yards (4.5), 17 Touchdowns

Appreciate that!  Let me be honest, the reason I put Dunn in my top 3 was due to his charitable works! Top notch man!

I feel like I messed that sentence up, but I guess everyone knows what I'm trying to say!:lol:

3 minutes ago, Andrews_31 said:

I feel like I messed that sentence up, but I guess everyone knows what I'm trying to say!:lol:

No clue. :ninja:

Let me be honest AGAIN.  The reason why I have Riggs at two is because I had to be honest about his body of work in Atlanta!  He lost points with just on the Skins alone (I know, I know, but I dont care)!:D

25 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

I’d take Turner all day. 

Oh yeah, he's the best fit in our offense right now, too. Same ZBS he ran behind.:tiphat:

...and he wouldn't have to eat 300+ carries either. <_< Could've played another 2 or 3 years if that had been the case, IMO.

Knight of God likes this

Speaking of Turner, I remember when he was in SD and Tomlinson got hurt.  He (Turner) straight showed out one game (anybody got a video of that long *** run he had).  When we found out Turner was coming to the Falcons, the board went NUTS!  Good times!

Vandy likes this

Let me be honest AGAIN.  The reason why I have Riggs at two is because I had to be honest about his body of work in Atlanta!  He lost points with just on the Skins alone (I know, I know, but I dont care)!:D

One of many Falcons greats that had to go somewhere else to win a ring. Another was Scott Case winning a ring with the Cowboys in 95.

Speaking of Turner, I remember when he was in SD and Tomlinson got hurt.  He (Turner) straight showed out one game (anybody got a video of that long *** run he had).  When we found out Turner was coming to the Falcons, the board went NUTS!  Good times!

The first time I knew who Michael Turner was was when he was still at Northern Illinois and ran for about 200 against Bama. @Knight of God You remember that? It was 2002 or 2003.

Knight of God and Ergo Proxy like this

13 hours ago, The Legendary SB said:

Turner had HUGE thighs.  Once he got those legs moving they didn't stop.  Even with a 240 pound defender hanging on for dear life.

I remember them talking about how he had to get custom made pants because he couldn't find any that would fit because of this thighs.

Vandy likes this