esmithidoc

In defense of Michael Turner

144 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, The Legendary SB said:

This thread is about Turner so not going to get into the Turner vs Andrews pizzing contest.  Can we just appreciate both of their contributions?

That said, here's my favorite Turner gif:

15qdu7a.gif

That 2008 season is still my favorite Falcons season ever followed closely by 1998. That 2008 team was so unexpected and such fun to watch.

Vandy and Ergo Proxy like this

3 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

Why is tds the only thing some of you guys choose to judge players by

All league experts and HoF judge by tds and points. This is why people consider Antonio Brown as better than Julio.

2 hours ago, The Legendary SB said:

This thread is about Turner so not going to get into the Turner vs Andrews pizzing contest.  Can we just appreciate both of their contributions?

That said, here's my favorite Turner gif:

15qdu7a.gif

Ergo Proxy likes this

2 minutes ago, osiruz said:

All league experts and HoF judge by tds and points. This is why people consider Antonio Brown as better than Julio.

No that’s not why people consider Brown better than Julio. If that is the only reason why then they are completely stupid. Brown is better than Julio in more than one way

4 hours ago, octoslash said:

He was awesome but I think no Falcons running back was better than William Andrews. 

Agreed,  with Gerald Riggs a close second. 

After the drubbing we took in the 2010 Divisional, I was standing on the Marta platform.  The guy next to me was telling his buddies how you have to leave it all on the field,  can't have anything left to take to the locker room. I looked over to agree with him,  and shock of my life, it was #31 himself.

I was tripping and none of the crowd around knew who the heck I was excited to meet.  Nice guy,  and when the crowd started surging,  I asked him if I could go in front of him so I could say I blocked for William Andrews! 

rounz, putnam6, octoslash and 1 other like this

4 hours ago, Geneaut said:

I'm talking up Andrews as my favorite but Turner was a beast also. I also don't forget Riggs and Dunn.

The thing about Riggs,  he put up 1000 yard seasons and pro bowls on  3-13, 4-12 teams.  Hated to see him go,  but happy when he got his ring. 

I got the Top Five All Time Falcon RBs ranked like this:

• William Andrews - 206 lb beast. Run, catch, blocking fool. Considered best in NFL in his prime
  • Michael Turner - big back with decent speed. Red zone machine. Brought the smash mouth game 
  • Devonta Freeman - 206 lb run pass threat with great vision. Broke plenty ankles. Ran us to a Bowl
  • Jamal Anderson - big back that hit you before you hit him. Also ran us to a Bowl. Dirty Bird
  • Gerald Riggs - big back that could find the end zone. Got it done on some sorry as football teams

Honorable mention to Dunn, Vick, Duckett, Norwood, Cain and IronHead.

4 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I got the Top Five All Time Falcon RBs ranked like this:

• William Andrews - 206 lb beast. Run, catch, blocking fool. Considered best in NFL in his prime
  • Michael Turner - big back with decent speed. Red zone machine. Brought the smash mouth game 
  • Devonta Freeman - 206 lb run pass threat with great vision. Broke plenty ankles. Ran us to a Bowl
  • Jamal Anderson - big back that hit you before you hit him. Also ran us to a Bowl. Dirty Bird
  • Gerald Riggs - big back that could find the end zone. Got it done on some sorry as football teams

Honorable mention to Dunn, Vick, Duckett, Norwood, Cain and IronHead.

Who had the most TDs, 100 and 200 yd games, and ypc 

14 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

No that’s not why people consider Brown better than Julio. If that is the only reason why then they are completely stupid. Brown is better than Julio in more than one way

I guarantee you that's the main reason, and it's not stupid. It's facts. Points win games. That's why they count tds for the hall of fame as well...in fact all the top tds leaders are in the Hall of Fame, and it's a reason why Julio may never make it:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/history/leaders

Turner was a lot faster than people give him credit for. People were literally scared to tackle him and he had DeAngelo Hall making business decisions. Dude was dragging 1-2 lbers into the end zone almost everytime.

Turner was a very good RB for the Falcons.  May ultimately wind up being underappreciated in Falcons lore...

I actually think he was never better than he was in 2009, but he suffered a sprained ankle against CAR and was toast the rest of the way.  But in about 8.5 games, sported 165/831/10 rushing line (a 5.0 YPC).  Never came close to being that efficient or consistent again.

17 hours ago, 4dabirds said:

I loved seeing Andrews do his thing. However, Turner had more TDs and 5.5 yards per carry average as opposed to Andrews 4.6. Turner had 60 Tds in 5 years as a Falcon, whereas Andrews had 41 in 6 years with the Falcons. Andrews was the better reciever and had nearly 200 more receptions, and 10 more receiving TDs, and finished with 8633 yards from scrimmage as opposed to Turner's 7866 between Atlanta and San Diego.

The stats make an argument for Turner being the better back.

Stats, smats. You can't compare offensive stats from 1980 vs. 2010. The rules have been changed so much to favor the offenses. The other thing is most teams ran two RBs in that era. Andrews was splitting carries with Lynn Cain for much of his career.

Also, it's not just that William Andrews was a "better" receiver. You could arguably say Turner wasn't a receiver at all. He often came out on 3rd downs, or went into a split back blocking role, tipping off our play calls. He generally ran best only behind a fullback. Which is fine, I guess. But once again, if no fullback, we were throwing. Bank on it. Part of that was Mularkey, I guess.

Andrews was a true triple threat back more in the mold of a Brian Westbrook or Roger Craig. But with more power. Single cut slasher runner. Would absolutely BOWL you over on a swing pass (ask Ronnie Lott). He was also a devastating blocker, and in fact that's pretty much all he did at Auburn. The Falcons were as surprised as anyone as to how good a runner he truly was.

No diss on Mr. Turner, but ask any old timer who saw them both. Given a choice, I'd take William every time.

rounz likes this

4 minutes ago, since68andcounting said:

Stats, smats. You can't compare offensive stats from 1980 vs. 2010. The rules have been changed so much to favor the offenses. The other thing is most teams ran two RBs in that era. Andrews was splitting carries with Lynn Cain for much of his career.

Also, it's not just that William Andrews was a "better" receiver. You could arguably say Turner wasn't a receiver at all. He often came out on 3rd downs, or went into a split back blocking role, tipping off our play calls. He generally ran best only behind a fullback. Which is fine, I guess. But once again, if no fullback, we were throwing. Bank on it. Part of that was Mularkey, I guess.

Andrews was a true triple threat back more in the mold of a Brian Westbrook or Roger Craig. But with more power. Single cut slasher runner. Would absolutely BOWL you over on a swing pass (ask Ronnie Lott). He was also a devastating blocker, and in fact that's pretty much all he did at Auburn. The Falcons were as surprised as anyone as to how good a runner he truly was.

No diss on Mr. Turner, but ask any old timer who saw them both. Given a choice, I'd take William every time.

None sense lol..

Turners stats are even more impressive considering he was only a RB and could never catch. He would have been better in the era of Andrews as teams ran the ball a lot more and we had a better Oline. 

10 minutes ago, since68andcounting said:

I'm old enough to have seen both backs careers, and yes I would take William Andrews over Turner, simply because Andrews had more to offer as a complete back. I merely brought up the stats, because they are what they are. 

On 10/19/2018 at 1:14 AM, Knight of God said:

Who had the most TDs, 100 and 200 yd games, and ypc 

Andrews has 30 rushing tds, 30 fumbles, 4.6 ypa, 1315 attempts, 5986 total rush yards. All in 7 seasons.

Turner 15 fumbles, 4.3 ypa, 1416 attempts, 6081 yards, 60 tds, all in 5 seasons.

No offense but Turner was almost the mvp of the NFL in 2008, and would have been in the HOF had he not been LT's backup. I'll take him over Andrews or Devonta all day every day.

Knight of God likes this

2 minutes ago, 4dabirds said:

I'm old enough to have seen both backs careers, and yes I would take William Andrews over Turner, simply because Andrews had more to offer as a complete back. I merely brought up the stats, because they are what they are. 

Cool. You still have to consider Andrews splitting carries with Cain tho. He had over 200 carries and 8 TDs in 1980.

Andrews_31 and 4dabirds like this