esmithidoc

In defense of Michael Turner

148 posts in this topic

After Turner retired, there was a great deal of talk on the Board about how he was gobbling burgers, fat, and in terrible shape.  I saw him at the Benz last weekend, and I have to say that he is in great shape and looks ready to fill in for an injured Freeman. Great job, Burner!! We miss you.

Borat, Vandy, Yo_Lover and 10 others like this

10 minutes ago, octoslash said:

He was awesome but I think no Falcons running back was better than William Andrews. 

I loved seeing Andrews do his thing. However, Turner had more TDs and 5.5 yards per carry average as opposed to Andrews 4.6. Turner had 60 Tds in 5 years as a Falcon, whereas Andrews had 41 in 6 years with the Falcons. Andrews was the better reciever and had nearly 200 more receptions, and 10 more receiving TDs, and finished with 8633 yards from scrimmage as opposed to Turner's 7866 between Atlanta and San Diego.

The stats make an argument for Turner being the better back.

8 minutes ago, osiruz said:

Even Andrews didn't average 12 tds per season.

Turner didn't average 5.4 yds a touch like Andrews did either. Andrews generated almost 2000 more yards from scrimmage than Turner in a Falcons uniform ( both in 5 seasons with Atlanta ). That's not knocking Turner at all, but Andrews was a HOSS.

That knee injury ruined something special ....

Edited by Geneaut

5 minutes ago, 4dabirds said:

I loved seeing Andrews do his thing. However, Turner had more TDs and 5.5 yards per carry average as opposed to Andrews 4.6. Turner had 60 Tds in 5 years as a Falcon, whereas Andrews had 41 in 6 years with the Falcons. Andrews was the better reciever and had nearly 200 more receptions, and 10 more receiving TDs, and finished with 8633 yards from scrimmage as opposed to Turner's 7866 between Atlanta and San Diego.

Bruh, Andrews was KILLING the NFL!  If it hadn't been for (that *****) Dan Henning tearing up Andrews' knee during a preseason game, we wouldn't be having this discussion, Andrews would be in the HoF!  He wasn't even the top back at Auburn when he was there  (Brooks and Cribbs)!  Atlanta STOLE William Andrews!

3 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

Turner didn't average 5.4 yds a touch like Andrews did either. Andrews generated almost 2000 more yards from scrimmage than Turner in a Falcons uniform ( both in 5 seasons with Atlanta ). That's not knocking Turner at all, but Andrews was a HOSS.

Neither did Andrews. His average was 4.6.

Just now, Andrews_31 said:

Same.  These young Thundercats too young to remember Andrews almost killing somebody on live TV on a screen pass!

When he broke into the secondary, he just went head-first and destroyed defenders. That was back when football was real football. I think Ronnie Lott still has memory loss from that one hit he took from him.

Just now, The Falcon Jedi Knight said:

When he broke into the secondary, he just went head-first and destroyed defenders. That was back when football was real football. I think Ronnie Lott still has memory loss from that one hit he took from him.

That might have been Lott that he straight up trucked and **** near killed!:lol:

10 minutes ago, 4dabirds said:

Turner averaged 5.5 yds a carry in SD. In Atlanta he was 4.3 yds a carry, and 4.5 yds a carry for his career. 

We were lucky to have both but with the exception of TDs Andrews matches Turner very well in stats. Toss in William's blocking and receiving skills and a lot of us old timers like #31 better.

Different eras and different systems so hard to compare, but fun to debate :)

PokerSteve likes this

12 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

Neither did Andrews. His average was 4.6.

A touch ( carries and receptions )... not a carry. Andrews averaged 5.4 yds a touch.

Andrews was a complete back. Ran like a RB, caught like WR, and blocked like a FB ( the position he was drafted as ).

Edited by Geneaut

7 minutes ago, Andrews_31 said:

Same.  These young Thundercats too young to remember Andrews almost killing somebody on live TV on a screen pass!

That Denver CB he trucked for like an 80 yd TD on a little swing pass was a thing of beauty.

Edited by Geneaut