Smiler11

Smilers 2018 Mock v1

24 posts in this topic

Assuming we receive 2 comp picks (a 4th for Poe and a 5th for Gabriel) as per overthecap

FA

Not going to go in to too much detail, but I doubt Levitre, Shelby, Schaub, McClain & Hardy are coming back. Poole & Coleman are probably 50:50

I’d love to see us go after Deone Buchannon and Dante Fowler, 2 guys who need a change of scenery and look like good fits for this defense.

Draft

1. Rashan Gary, DE/DT, Michigan

College football’s junior class is loaded with talent on the defensive line, and Gary sits comfortably among the elite players in the group. In program testing his sophomore year, measuring 6-5 and 280 lbs he was clocked at a jaw-dropping 4.57 seconds in the 40-yard dash. He also broad jumped 9-6 and turned in a 6.70 time in the 3-cone drill. His athleticism and work rate overwhelms offensive linemen and he also has the lateral speed to chase down screen passes and stretch plays to the perimeter. Last season, Gary had 58 total tackles (33 assists, 25 solo), 11.5 tackles for loss, and 5.5 sacks.

In our scheme Gary would play the base end, replacing some of the snaps from Reed/Shelby, and slide inside in nickel.

2. Dalton Risner, OL, Kansas State

At 6-4, 310lbs Risner is an All-Big 12 and All-American favorite and will likely make these teams no matter what position he plays. Risner started his career at center and has now dominated during his time at right tackle. His elite play at either position should elevate his draft stock due to his versatility and clear ability to take coaching. Risner ended last season as Pro Football Focus’ top-ranked tackle.

I’d slot him in at guard where I think he could be an instant starter, an then look for him to be the long-term successor to Mack.

3. Parris Campbell, WR, Ohio State

Campbell, standing just over 6 foot and around 210 lbs, has been used both outside and in the slot by Ohio State. A freak athlete who runs in the 4.3’s whilst remaining very clean in and out of his breaks. The inconsistent play of Ohio State’s quarterbacks limited Campbell’s ability to stand out in the past, but this year you’re starting to see that elite quickness and ability to create with the ball in his hands. In 7 games this year he has 43 receptions for 557 yards and 7 touchdowns.

4. Mike Weber, RB, Ohio State

At 5-9 and 215 lbs, Weber runs with a low centre of gravity and demonstrates an ideal mix of power and speed (he clocked 4.35 in testing). He rushed for 10 TD’s in 2017 at over 6 yards per carry. Having Weber would ease the pain in seeing Tevin Coleman leave in FA.

4 (comp). Christian Miller, DE/LB, Alabama

Christian Miller was my sleeper going in to last year and then he tore his tricep first game of the season. At 6-4 and 250lbs is twitchy pass rusher who can play with his hand in the dirt or standing up. He also has some experience playing inside as a more traditional linebacker. This year he has 8 hurries, 7 TFL and 4.5 sacks through 7 games.

5. Evan Worthington, SS, Colorado

A rangy safety, who at 6-2 and 210 lbs has the size to play either safety spot in our scheme. He has experience manning the single high zone but he’s at his best in the box. With Neal going down this year, we saw how much we struggled without him and whilst Worthington isn’t the same calibre of player as Neal, he does have starter upside.

5 (comp). Khalil Hodge, LB, Buffalo

The 6-1, 235-pound senior linebacker finished last season as the nation's second-leading tackler with 153 takedowns. He also added two pass breakups, a pair of force fumbles and two interceptions. Equally comfortable stacking and shedding as he is dropping back in coverage. He’s a name to watch out for and I suspect will move up boards as the season develops.

6. Kareem Orr, CB, Chattanooga

The former highly rated Arizona State corner, transferred to his local Chattanooga for personal reasons, played 23 games combined as a freshman and sophomore at ASU. He had six interceptions in 2015 when he was a freshman All-America and seven in his ASU career plus a combined 91 tackles. This year he has already posted 4 interceptions. Orr, a ball-hawk, who is a sound tackler and sticky in man coverage, would make an ideal nickel corner.

7. Developmental QB or Kicker

2 hours ago, Summerhill said:

I like it. 

What is your projection for Christian Miller? A dedicated pass rusher or replacement for Devondre Campbell? 

I think he could play some base SAM, but I'd personally want him pinning his ears back in nickel as part of the rotation. 

Summerhill likes this

The 7th round pick is for 2020, not next year unless I missed something. Every year its a player who plays head and shoulders better than there rating. To me this year it's Kareem Orr, almost a crime to be rated that low.

Smiler11 likes this

Gonna be honest with you, in our defense I don't like Christian Miller as a stand up guy, too much space to cover, it's a cover 3, cover 4 mostly. A lot of space to cover underneath, would expect him as a rusher primarily, maybe a definite run down guy only way I see him standing up straight up. Just my 2 cents. 

3 hours ago, datchrisb1 said:

The 7th round pick is for 2020, not next year unless I missed something. Every year its a player who plays head and shoulders better than there rating. To me this year it's Kareem Orr, almost a crime to be rated that low.

One more pick for me then. If Orr was still at ASU he'd most likely be a top 50 pick.

3 hours ago, datchrisb1 said:

Gonna be honest with you, in our defense I don't like Christian Miller as a stand up guy, too much space to cover, it's a cover 3, cover 4 mostly. A lot of space to cover underneath, would expect him as a rusher primarily, maybe a definite run down guy only way I see him standing up straight up. Just my 2 cents. 

When I said standing up, I didn't mean as a traditional stand up LB but as a guy who can rush the passer from a 2 point or 3 point stance. I think he could play some base SAM as you know from his coaching under Saban he's going to know his gaps, but I don't think you'd want him dropping back in coverage. Most likely he's a rotational DPR.

I don’t like the Gary pick , most of his “highlights” are him being unblocked.He’s still a raw prospect so idk if I would take him early in the 1st

9 hours ago, GleasonForever! said:

Who are you bringing in to shore up the middle? McClain and Bennet won’t be here. 

Senat and Grady in base. Rotate Gary and Crawford inside in nickel. We probably need another through FA.

7 hours ago, Champford said:

I don’t like the Gary pick , most of his “highlights” are him being unblocked.He’s still a raw prospect so idk if I would take him early in the 1st

The thing with Gary is upside. You put him in a one gap scheme and let him win with quickness inside and I think the game becomes a lot easier for him. I think we are crying out for a base end, hence why we brought Shelby back after initially cutting him. 

Champford likes this

10 hours ago, Champford said:

I don't think he looks raw to me. I see a player who can use speed and power and who plays hard and hustles. 

Even if he is raw, there is plenty precedent for physically talented, raw defensive linemen getting better in the NFL. I remember watching Ziggy Ansah's tape when he was coming out and thinking he looked awful and he quickly became a really good player. 

Champford likes this

15 hours ago, Smiler11 said:

Senat and Grady in base. Rotate Gary and Crawford inside in nickel. We probably need another through FA.

Would be really light inside. Wouldn’t scare anyone. Just like our current Rotation 

this class will be notorious for Defensive Tackles. Baffles me you don’t even select one. 

11 hours ago, GleasonForever! said:

Would be really light inside. Wouldn’t scare anyone. Just like our current Rotation 

this class will be notorious for Defensive Tackles. Baffles me you don’t even select one. 

The best run stopper in the class is Ed Oliver. He's 270 lbs.

If size is what you're worried about, Gary came into college at 293 lbs. He's slimmed down to play end in Michigan's 3 man front but he easily has the scope and frame to play at 300 lbs plus.

6 hours ago, Smiler11 said:

The best run stopper in the class is Ed Oliver. He's 270 lbs.

If size is what you're worried about, Gary came into college at 293 lbs. He's slimmed down to play end in Michigan's 3 man front but he easily has the scope and frame to play at 300 lbs plus.

Ed Oliver is 285-290, not 270

1 hour ago, Matt4415 said:

Ed Oliver is 285-290, not 270

We'll see. I heard on a recent move the sticks podcast that he's around 270.

Also think we can do better than Weber in the 4th. Rodney Anderson and LJ Scott could both be available as both are dealing with injuries. Weber just doesn't do enough to excite me

4 hours ago, Matt4415 said:

Also think we can do better than Weber in the 4th. Rodney Anderson and LJ Scott could both be available as both are dealing with injuries. Weber just doesn't do enough to excite me

Anderson is a stud. Not too sure on LJ Scott. Weber is going to be a sleeper. He'll end up being a better pro than collge player. 

Another guy to watch out for ia Miles Sanders.

5 hours ago, Smiler11 said:

Anderson is a stud. Not too sure on LJ Scott. Weber is going to be a sleeper. He'll end up being a better pro than collge player. 

Another guy to watch out for ia Miles Sanders.

Is Sanders eligible? also what do you see in Weber? To me he is great as a pass catcher, but too small to run b/w tackles and not very shifty

2 minutes ago, Matt4415 said:

Is Sanders eligible? also what do you see in Weber? To me he is great as a pass catcher, but too small to run b/w tackles and not very shifty

He is a junior, so yes. Weber is a good receiver but rarely gets a chance as a receiver at Ohio State. He's short, but he's not small. He also has that extra gear that a lot in this class don't have.

I like taking an OL early. Tonight is evident that we need one. Not too big on a 3rd round WR though, but if we have this draft, I would be okay.

Love the Miller pick BTW. Won't be shocked if he isn't there in the 4th though

14 hours ago, tl;dr said:

I like taking an OL early. Tonight is evident that we need one. Not too big on a 3rd round WR though, but if we have this draft, I would be okay.

Thanks. Agree on Miller, he could rise and I think he'll test pretty well. WR is really planning for the future. Sanu has an out in his contract this coming offseason and could be a casualty to pay for some of these young guys. Julio, who knows what happens with that situation and he's 30 next year so never too early to start looking at a long term running mate for Ridley.

On 10/23/2018 at 2:43 PM, tl;dr said:

I agree somewhat but off the top of my head in the last odd 5,6 years there have been very few good ones come out that can step in right away.

The last 2 good ones interior wise that come to mind are Zach Martin and Joe Bitonio.Saints got a good one OT wise in Armstead outside of that I can't recall to many others.Maybe Brandon Schereff,it's a hard one with these olinemen coming out of college.

I mean looking at Will Hernandez against us the other week I was like yikes as both Crawford and Jarrett put him under huge pressure.