Watch on: FSSE, NBCH
Oct 27, 7:30 PM
State Farm Arena - Preview
Watch on: FSSE, NSPA
Oct 29, 7:00 PM
Wells Fargo Center - Preview
Watch on: FSSE, FSOH
Oct 30, 7:00 PM

How do you guys feel about that kid  Trae Young at the point? I hope he pans out for us. I heard a lot of people say that drafting him was a bust, hopefully they're wrong

4 minutes ago, TheDancingBird said:

How do you guys feel about that kid  Trae Young at the point? I hope he pans out for us. I heard a lot of people say that drafting him was a bust, hopefully they're wrong

Time will tell he wasn’t my first choice but I’m starting to warm up to him.

RING OF HONOR likes this

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24813839/projecting-best-worst-cases-toughest-stretches-all-30-teams

29. Atlanta Hawks 
BPI projected wins: 24.6
Previous rank: No. 30

Best case: 33-49
Trae Young contends for Rookie of the Year honors as a quick study in the art of game management and a bona fide long-range shooter. He and John Collins emerge as an electric pick-and-roll tandem, and DeAndre' Bembry delivers on his potential. Despite their youth and Young's deficiencies, the Hawks tread water defensively, with Taurean Princeand Kent Bazemore providing stability on the wings and a healthy Dewayne Dedmonperforming yeoman's work as a rim protector.

2018-19 Atlanta Hawks 
Projected Win %

MONTH(S) PROJECTED WIN%*
*According to BPI
OCTOBER/NOVEMBER 31.3
DECEMBER 29.4
JANUARY
FEBRUARY 34.3
MARCH/APRIL 30.9

Worst case: 18-64
One of the NBA's youngest teams shows its inexperience. The Hawks are fashioning their program as a Sixers-style development shop, and the results mirror what we saw in Philadelphia during the early Process years. Young takes the dubious distinction as the least-efficient high-volume shooter in the league and is overmatched defensively on a nightly basis against the dynamic point guards who populate the position. Prince and Collins plateau, while the other first-rounders, Omari Spellman and Kevin Huerter, don't get any traction.

Toughest stretch: January
In January, the Hawks might not be favored in more than one of their 14 games (a home tilt against Orlando). Nine of those games will be road dates, including visits to Toronto, Philadelphia and Milwaukee.

-- Kevin Arnovitz

19 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

Vinsanity while JC heals up I guess.. anyone got the walker updated with wheels?

:lol: no doubt.  On a serious note though that lineup is going to get killed in the paint.

DirtybyrdGA likes this

15 minutes ago, blkbigdog35 said:

:lol: no doubt.  On a serious note though that lineup is going to get killed in the paint.

I think Vince starting is to settle everybody down. Starting 2 rookies, Trae and Spellman could be disastrous.

3 minutes ago, jayu70 said:

I think Vince starting is to settle everybody down. Starting 2 rookies, Trae and Spellman could be disastrous.

Okay I was figuring Dedmon or plumlee would play 4.  

23 minutes ago, blkbigdog35 said:

Most definitely.. but what’s new? This is ATL

1 minute ago, blkbigdog35 said:

Think dedmon is out a bit.. 

Strangely, this is the most hype I have been about the Hawks at this time of year. 

My favorite time of the year, basketball, football, and playoff baseball. 

8 hours ago, blkbigdog35 said:

Dedmon is out injured. Plumlee can barely play the 5 definitely don't want him playing the 4.

the east is so weak no reason not to make the 8th seed, spare me the top pick BS at some point we got to make a splash in  FA

On 10/15/2018 at 6:24 PM, TheDancingBird said:

I feel great about him.  I thought he was definitely the best passer in the draft, probably the best pure scorer as well, and a good floor general.  He is very confident and driven, has a high basketball IQ and great court vision, and is a hard worker.  He has real defensive limitations that no amount of effort will correct (though hopefully he at least ups his effort), but his ceiling is super high.  That said, he definitely has a bust-type of floor.  I believe that his potential for stardom outweighs his potential for busting, and that at minimum, he will be an effective PG for us for several years.

This is a great read about him, but it's behind a paywall:

Confidence has carried Trae Young throughout his basketball career, right into the NBA

Edit: as for this year, I would say you will see some absolutely awesome games with lots of highlight passes and deep threes, along with some terrible games where he looks like he couldn't make a shot to save his life.  We should all try to remember he is only 20 starting as a PG in the NBA, so he needs time to fully develop.

Edited by Mike Yanagita

A bit more on his passing: like I said, he has great court vision, and can drop absolute dimes with either hand.  He is good in transition, creating for teammates off the dribble, and in pick and roll.  Like a lot of talented passers, he'll have to improve his decisionmaking a bit to cut down on turnovers.  Some of his passing in college:

begley_ian.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop

Ian Begley ESPN Staff Writer 

Trae Young may have been a star in college, but he's not above the NBA's rookie hazing norms. Young was wearing a pink backpack as he walked out of Madison Square Garden following shootaround.

•  
  •  
  •  
icon-espn-e-@2x.png
7h