Carter

Cocktail Party 2018 - #9 Florida vs #7 Georgia

1,022 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Alabama and LSU are always on bye the week before they play each other just like Florida and Georgia are always on bye the week before they play each other. This just happened to be Auburn's week off.

Oh, and I also forgot to mention this too, it always wasn't that way with the Georgia-Florida rivalry. 2012 was the last time both teams did not have a bye before each other, since 2013 Georgia and Florida have always had byes before each other. There were also several years in the past Florida would always get the bye before Georgia and not Georgia, but sometimes Georgia had the bye before Florida and not Florida. 

59 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

If 1 guy was the weakness. But the entire line is struggling.

Obviously, you’ve not played Offensive line.. one player can make a huge difference. Cleveland is a physical presence and a really good run blocker, not to mention he’s a battle tested player. 

Just now, Bdawg58 said:

Obviously, you’ve not played Offensive line.. one player can make a huge difference. Cleveland is a physical presence and a really good run blocker, not to mention he’s a battle tested player. 

How is Cleveland at LT going to fix the right side of the line? He's 1 guy. I could see if he was center how 1 guy could make a major difference.

Kentucky gave up 49 yards, no points,  no first downs to Missouri in the 2nd half.   We better be ready for a 60 minute slug fest next week. 

9 minutes ago, frankly88 said:

Kentucky gave up 49 yards, no points,  no first downs to Missouri in the 2nd half.   We better be ready for a 60 minute slug fest next week. 

Kentucky's defense has been the difference for their team all year despite how ugly their offense has been. Defense travels and defense wins championships. Kentucky has a championship defense this year. 

It'd hard to believe it's been 4 weeks since Kentucky scored more than 16 pts ... and they're 5 min away from a Texas loss from being a Top 10 team in the country. Strange team indeed 

16 minutes ago, mqg96 said:

Kentucky's defense has been the difference for their team all year despite how ugly their offense has been. Defense travels and defense wins championships. Kentucky has a championship defense this year. 

I've said that they're defense and that game being in Lexington gives them a shot to give UGA a real fight.

mqg96 likes this

3 hours ago, g-dawg said:

I am starting to worry that FIELDS May start planning his exit - really hope that doesn’t happen.

If he does go, Kirby should let him go wherever he wants.   My guess is he would want to go to Auburn or LSU.

Coaches/schools can’t restrict transfers anymore. Players can transfer absolutely anywhere they want now.

g-dawg likes this

44 minutes ago, frankly88 said:

If I'm Kentucky I try and ugly it up next week. With it being at home it could be interesting. But I think this week was Georgia's "get-right" game. Wasn't pretty for 3 quarters, but I think they got it fixed in the 4th. Don't be shocked if Georgia wins handily next week. 

sdogg likes this

23 minutes ago, Carter said:

Coaches/schools can’t restrict transfers anymore. Players can transfer absolutely anywhere they want now.

Would be brutal if Fields left for a rival.

Seems like “control the things you can control” is a mantra the coaches are pushing and not anything negative to read into from Fields. Fromm repeated the same thing when asked about taking every snap at QB against Florida.

Think Fields may still find some good looks in the remaining games. Really happy to see Fromm respond with a great game in Jacksonville though.

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – 

Jake Fromm has certainly had some big games in his one-plus year as the quarterback of the Georgia Bulldogs.

Saturday’s 36-17 win over No. 9 Florida qualified as one of his most satisfying.

“That was a fun one,” said Fromm, who led the Bulldogs to Saturday’s 36-17 win by completing 17 of 24 passes for 240 yards and three touchdowns.

“It was really enjoyable there at the end,” he continued. “For me it was physical, all the way down to the wire in the fourth quarter.”

Wide receiver Terry Godwin, who caught one of Fromm’s three touchdown passes, liked what he saw.

“Tonight, it was Fromm being Fromm, doing what he normally does. Everybody is going to have an off day. People are just blowing it up because he’s the quarterback and it’s a dominant position. He showed who he really is.”

Fromm's 24-yard touchdown pass to Godwin extended Georgia's lead to 29-17 with just over eight minutes to play. His first two scores went to Jeremiah Holloman on passes of 16 and 12 yards.

It was certainly a different Fromm than the one Georgia fans saw in the Bulldogs 36-16 loss to LSU, a game that saw Fromm struggle and inspired some to call for freshman Justin Fields.

Those calls continued prior to Saturday’s game, but head coach Kirby Smart was undaunted, sticking with Fromm for the entire game.

The decision paid off. All three of Fromm’s touchdown passes came on third-down plays.

“It was all about execution,” Fromm said. “The offensive line blocked, the receivers ran great routes. The plays worked because everybody worked together.”

Smart said he never doubted that Fromm would be able to rebound with a strong effort against the Gators.

“I thought Jake’s a competitor. Jake works as hard as anybody on our team. He believes in the players around him. He understands what we want to do offensively and he did a good job dealing out the ball,” Smart said. “When he had the opportunity, he made some big throws tonight to guys who were open and guys who were in tight coverage. Jake continues to get better.”

Smart was asked if he’d heard the noise over the past two weeks calling for Fields to see more extending time as quarterback.

“I haven’t, because I really, really ignore the noise. I don’t get into that, because I don’t think that helps me make a good decision,” Smart said. “The decisions that we make for our team in all positions should be based on what happens in practice, what happens in games, and how the flow of the game is going. But the outside noise probably affects the players more than it does me.

“We make our decisions based on what affects our organization the right way. Jake Fromm is a high-character kid that works his tail off every day, and I’m sure he felt and heard the noise, but he continues to work and get better.”

Fields, who did not take a single snap, also drew praise from Smart.

“Justin Fields continues to work and is getting better, too,” Smart said. “For the last two weeks, that kid got a lot of reps and he got better. I’m disappointed he didn’t get a chance to play, and I’m sure he’s disappointed, too. But he's a competitor, and he continues to get better. We have a situation where I think we have two very good quarterbacks.”

Fromm said he had no idea going in that he would be getting all the reps or that Fields would not see action in the game.

“My mindset is to control what you can control,” Fromm said. “I obviously didn’t know a whole lot. I just try to go in and make the best of each play that I’m given. I just knew I was going to play some football today, that’s all I knew.”

13 hours ago, Yo_Lover said:

Gotta admit Fromm was awesome today. 

I still wish we would give Fields more playing time tho.

This is why I hate a 2-QB system.  Fromm was not very good until the final drive of the 1st half.  At that point Fields had no touches.  Chaney finally goes up-tempo, Fromm gets in rhythm and at that point it’s foolish to bring Fields in.  2 qb system works for nobody.  Pick a qb and stick with him.  Unfortunately I think we will lose Fields because of it.  Sure hope I’m wrong, though.  Regardless, I’m just happy to have the W.  

Heipedully we run more 4-minute and 2-minute offense moving forward.  We play much better up-tempo.  

And I’m thrilled Chaney finally read Chapter 6 of Offense 101 - “How To Utilize A TE”

sdogg likes this

I don’t think Kirby is interested in committing to an up-tempo offense because he’s afraid it would result in his defense spending too much time on the field.

17 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

This is why I hate a 2-QB system.  Fromm was not very good until the final drive of the 1st half.  At that point Fields had no touches.  Chaney finally goes up-tempo, Fromm gets in rhythm and at that point it’s foolish to bring Fields in.  2 qb system works for nobody.  Pick a qb and stick with him.  Unfortunately I think we will lose Fields because of it.  Sure hope I’m wrong, though.  Regardless, I’m just happy to have the W.  

Heipedully we run more 4-minute and 2-minute offense moving forward.  We play much better up-tempo.  

And I’m thrilled Chaney finally read Chapter 6 of Offense 101 - “How To Utilize A TE”

He was 3/5 with a nice td pass before that drive.  I have a hard time saying he wasn’t playing very good before then.

datboilando and sdogg like this

4 hours ago, Billy Ocean said:

I don’t think Kirby is interested in committing to an up-tempo offense because he’s afraid it would result in his defense spending too much time on the field.

That and because this Dawgs defense is soft up the middle.  Probably a good thing.  They have to get this fixed but it may be 2019 before it happens.  We seem to be deficient in personnel there and Quay & Channing May not be ready yet.

Same dang story every year from those gators

Brandon Sudge

@brandonsudge
Florida wide receiver Freddie Swain: “I don’t think the better team won today. The execution part is what gave (Georgia) the lead and the momentum."

5 minutes ago, 95Dawg said:

Brandon Sudge

@brandonsudge
Florida wide receiver Freddie Swain: “I don’t think the better team won today. The execution part is what gave (Georgia) the lead and the momentum."

Bunch of sore losers lol. One of my best friends, a Gator fan, told me to kill myself after the game yesterday when I texted her this:

tenor.gif

:lol: 

13 hours ago, tl;dr said:

If I'm Kentucky I try and ugly it up next week. With it being at home it could be interesting. But I think this week was Georgia's "get-right" game. Wasn't pretty for 3 quarters, but I think they got it fixed in the 4th. Don't be shocked if Georgia wins handily next week. 

We're still waiting for our run defense to "get-right".  We played well most of the 2nd half and especially the 4th quarter but there are still a lot of issues that need improvement.   Even though its not pretty, when a team wins games consistently like Kentucky has this year, they are tough to beat.   I am expecting a 60 minute war in Lexington. 

Edited by frankly88
tl;dr likes this

13 minutes ago, 95Dawg said:

Brandon Sudge

@brandonsudge

Well yeah...execution matters. That’s a HUGE part of the game joker. The difference between winning and losing. The very reason why UGA lost against LSU two weeks ago. Georgia outplayed, outcoached, and outclassed the Florida Gators yesterday. I love to see them whine. 

Carter and 95Dawg like this