Carter

Cocktail Party 2018 - #9 Florida vs #7 Georgia

1,022 posts in this topic

It’s 2 weeks away but with both teams having a bye week, we have plenty time to talk about it. 

Florida eeked out a struggle win at Vanderbilt while UGA struggled mightily in a big loss at LSU.

One thing seems for sure, this won’t be a repeat of last year when Georgia thoroughly beat the brakes off the Gators en route to a berth in the national championship final.

The Dawgs lost a ton of players from that squad but have been a top ranked team since preseason and heavily favored to win the SEC East and defend their SEC championship title. The Dawgs have been winning comfortably but have struggled to find a consistent rhythm or identity on offense, starting sophomore QB Jake Fromm has had a bit of a slump and the Dawgs defense has yet to really settle in and play to the level expected. Promising and supremely talented 5* QB Justin Fields, the crown jewel of Georgia’s #1 recruiting class, has only found limited duty so far this year but has been successful when his number is called. These issues all came to a head in Baton Rouge, where Georgia never led and only faintly sniffed a comeback late in the game before squandering the opportunity and allowing LSU to score 2 more touchdowns.

The big question heading into this game for UGA will be if Fields gets his first start, or if his role starts expanding a great deal with the offense, given Fromm’s struggles and terrible performance against LSU.

In contrast, Florida seems to be overachieving with a team many predicted to struggle for bowl eligibility in Dan Mullen’s first year. Mullen’s offensive scheme has proven to be more effective than everyone’s favorite shark humper, Jim McElwain, managed to produce in Gainesville. The Gators defense has been solid but not great, giving the offense opportunities to win games late. Since losing to Kentucky, Florida has continued to play pretty sloppy but they are winning and continue finding ways to win despite their mistakes.

Should be a fun and hard fought game. I expect this one to be another close game in a series full of nail biters. If Georgia finds its rhythm they could pull away, they are the far more talented team. But if it remains close into the 4th quarter then Florida fans are going to like their chances because the Gators have been battling out 4th quarter wins all season so far. 

Hopefully both teams can heal up over these 2 weeks and we have ourselves an injury free game on the 27th. GO DAWGS!!

sdogg and putnam6 like this

Think its time to let Fields get his feet wet and start, they need that extra threat he brings to the game. He is the future and contrary to popular belief still loads to play for. If Fromm had the passing game clicking would have no issue, but with its inconsistent play no reason to see if Fields brings a spark. Not to mention a more TOP strategy helps the defense too. That said got to trust Kirby and Chaney. 

I don’t think Fields necessarily has to start but he needs to see at least 35-40% of the snaps. The staff needs to be smart in how they use him as well. Fields should be taking basically every snap in the red zone and he needs to start and run a FULL drive for once, preferably when we start with good field position. I think starting fields could burn Fromm for the season if he decides to mentally check out. In the event that Fields is, for some reason, not ready or gets hurt we still need Fromm on this team. Let Fields play more and let him earn more snaps based on his play. Then at some point you can turn it over to Fields completely. We have to remember that even though Fields hasn’t been given the chance, he has not earned the starting job yet based on game play despite how poorly Fromm has played. 

g-dawg likes this

4 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

2 weeks... this Fields vs Fromm narrative is gonna get boring by then.. 

You mean it’s not yet...

i thought that dead horse has been kicked enough by now. 

I agree with everyone that’s it time for ACTION on the Fields front and take the training wheels off. Im sooo tired of the Fromm and Fields debate. Heck people were debating before he even signed his LOI. Let him have a quarter and if things are going well keep the pedal down. 

:lol: If you're excited about signing 5 star QBs then you better be ready for the drama that comes with it... especially after signing 3 in a row.

Fields isn't gonna sit around behind Fromm. He came to UGA to challenge and beat him for the job and be developed into an NFL QB, not wait around to humbly play his senior season for his home state school. That's not happening. And I doubt he gives it another year at UGA with the development of his freshman year being such that he just hands the ball off or plays designed runs.

So yeah, it has been talked about a lot and will be talked about a lot more. I get how it can be frustrating. If Fromm struggles to get the offense going then expect it to become a deafening roar lol

Here is my feelings on the game.  I was a bit worried about LSU because they were coming off a loss and had their backs against the wall.  That LSU team came out swinging.  However this is the first game we have lost this year and we have two weeks to work through issues and this team is going to come out firing on all cylinders IMO and kick florida's butt.  Florida is so freaking overrated.  

14 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

Here is my feelings on the game.  I was a bit worried about LSU because they were coming off a loss and had their backs against the wall.  That LSU team came out swinging.  However this is the first game we have lost this year and we have two weeks to work through issues and this team is going to come out firing on all cylinders IMO and kick florida's butt.  Florida is so freaking overrated.  

All true.

Even still - it is concerning that the run defense has looked poor all year - if it could be fixed, wouldn't it have been fixed by now?

1 hour ago, theDIRTYcode said:

Anyone know if we are the home team or visitors this year? Need to know which side of the stadium I should be sitting on. 

Home team. We will be wearing the red jerseys. 

theDIRTYcode likes this

14 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

What do you realistically expect to see at the qb spot for the game? I know it’s two weeks away but just curious of your opinion right now.

1 hour ago, Carter said:

Home team. We will be wearing the red jerseys. 

Since 1990, Georgia's only wins over Florida wearing red is 2004 and 2012. We've actually done a lot better wearing white in Jacksonville.

21 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

My feelings on this game is UGA will get back to being UGA. Fromm will get back to his usual game manager efficiency 15-21, 200yds. The Dawgs will run it down their throats with Holyfield and Swift. Everybody will be happy again and talking about Alabama. 

BTW, Holyfield reminds me alot of Ezekiel Elliot. Man they should have rode him Saturday.

sdogg likes this

Mullen has had success with Franks as his QB. I can only imagine what he is going to do when he gets his guy in there. Watch out SEC. 

15 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

Mullen has had success with Franks as his QB. I can only imagine what he is going to do when he gets his guy in there. Watch out SEC. 

Fields

Fromm needs to be near perfect at this point to remain the starter. Perhaps it's not fair in some ways, but his backup is perhaps the more talented one, so that's how it is. Some may be scared of the controversy, but I'm still thinking this is a good problem to have. Chances are we end up with a good starter for the next couple of years and one may transfer, but that is a common thing these days. 

As far as Florida goes, Solid D. No one on their offense really scares me outside of some talented receivers. Mullen does a masterful job of scheming Franks into at least competency, but I think if we zone some guys out, Franks will have a hard time hitting his receivers in tight windows. Scarlett and Perine are solid, but I don't think we need to stack the box on a regular basis against them, so I'm hoping for some TOs with Franks being forced to throw in traffic if we we can stifle the run and get their ***** behind the sticks.

The offense MUST find some rhythm early by running early and often. Fromm needs to be efficient in this game, which I believe he can be, but if he struggles again, I want to see Fields get a shot not as a decoy, but as acting starter on a full drive. I want Holyfield running folks over and finishing runs. I'm anxious to see how Swift does. He looks like he's regaining his burst after the groin injury, he just didn't get enough touches against LSU 

Overall, I feel good about this game. Florida is better than last year, but they're running into us at the wrong time. We will play angry and get back to Georgia Football.......I hope so anyway   

Edited by TheDancingBird
sdogg likes this

9 hours ago, g-dawg said:

All true.

Even still - it is concerning that the run defense has looked poor all year - if it could be fixed, wouldn't it have been fixed by now?

we were missing 3 dlinemen and played guys like herring who haven't played much this year.. i really think davis getting more reps and getting back wyatt with dequan.will help the run defense.  right now if our coaches continue to play patrick and taylor our run defense will not be a strength because they are pathetic.  mcgee is pathetic as well at the star spot.  I would rather play the younger guys like tindell and quay walker inside along with gibbs at the star spot and deal with their growing pains because at least we will see improvement.  right now we are having horrible ilb play from taylor and patrick and there is no upside for either guy.  mcgee received a rating of 21 in tackling.. our star can't tackle a 5 year old child making a run for the cookie jar.  our staff seems to be happy to play guys with no upside who stink. 

i have heard different things on marshall.  i have heard he might be done for the year (not announced yet) or he is close to being back.  florida is going to be able to move the ball on us, but the key is getting off the field on 3rd down.. i want to see more stokes and webb and less campbell, but i doubt that happens.  just like i questioned playing parrish last year, i really wonder why our staff continues to put our players who perform poorly.. it's like kirby's "accountability" speech is just talk and he is full of crap. 

9 hours ago, UAB_DAWG said:

What do you realistically expect to see at the qb spot for the game? I know it’s two weeks away but just curious of your opinion right now.

There is no way with kirby's track record will he start anyone but Fromm.  Kirby is full of crap when he says that all spots there is an accountability because that is purely false.. see my post above on the defense.. kirby made all types of excuses for Fromm's poor play and continues to spew crap about fields that is 100% false.  then kirby took a shot at everyone who thinks fields should play more calling them couch coaches basically dismissing everyone who believes fields should be able to throw the ball.  what pure horse crap. kirby needs to actually follow his own words and hold guys accountable which includes fromm, taylor, mcgee, and patrick.  allowing guys to continue to perform poorly week in and week out is why we haven't seen improvement in a number of phases this year. 

3 hours ago, Skip Dawg said:

Fields

Field and Mullen would have been scary. But I don't think he is leaving UGA any time soon. Fields will be opening day starter next year. 

The only real worry I’ve ever had about Kirby is that he’s too conservative with his approach to the offense so I’m sure Fromm will remain the starter.