RubberDucky

Anyone read lips?

59 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, HolyMoses said:

How would you feel if someone told you that they had more faith in a 43-year-old leg kicking a 58 yard field goal then they did in you picking up two ******* yards? 

Quinn needs to hire a game management consultant.

First off, I think the odds actually favored the first down over the field-goal. 

Secondly, if I pick up the first down, the game is over. Tampa has no timeouts you run out the clock and that’s it. 

Third, who is the ******* genius that  let them snap the ball on the field goal  with 12 ******* seconds left on the play clock? How the **** does that happen? 

Of course, it was unlikely that the Bucs would score a touchdown, but there was at least a chance, and they had two plays from the 20 yard line to win the game.

I hate to say this, but the smart play was to punt.   Run on third down, take a delay of game penalty to run as much Clock as possible. Then let the Bucks go 80 or more yards in less than 50 seconds with no timeouts.  

The consequence of failure for going for it, or missing the field-goal was that the Buc would’ve had plenty of time to kick a game-winning field goal. 

And yet the Bucs marched right on down the field starting from their own 20 yard line and would have been kicking essentially an extra point length of a field goal for the win.

Your decision would have lost us the game more than likely. He trusted his kicker, he delivered, the defense held up for the touchdown.

You run the clock down on the field goal. I get that logic but it's also an easy rush for the defense knowing the ball will be snapped with a a rundown.

I agree with you about going for the first down. You miss the field goal they are right there. You go for the first and fail and the same thing happens. First down is the more secure approach out of those two.

He was probably angry the coaching staff was choosing to let the defence close out the game again, instead of utilizing the teams' strength (offence) to win. 

For real, if TB scored there, Quinn should have been fired. He needs to watch some film on McVay to learn how to coach in today's NFL.

Da_Truth and Flying Falcon like this

18 hours ago, FulC0 said:

80 or more yards?  If we punted, they would have won with a FG.  They would have needed only  about 45 yards.

17 hours ago, freefall said:

I am glad Bryant made the FG, but I agree with you the better call would have been to go for on 4th down.  The odd of converting 4th and 2 is probably better than making a 57 yards FG, and if you convert for a 1st down the game is over.  Bucs still had a chance even with Bryant making the FG.  Risk vs reward dictates that Falcons should go on 4th down there.

16 hours ago, papachaz said:

except they wouldn't have to go 80 yards in 50 seconds, cause they'd have only had to get in FG range, and they did that easily enough with the time they had.....

16 hours ago, ATLFalcons11 said:

And yet the Bucs marched right on down the field starting from their own 20 yard line and would have been kicking essentially an extra point length of a field goal for the win.

Your decision would have lost us the game more than likely. He trusted his kicker, he delivered, the defense held up for the touchdown.

You run the clock down on the field goal. I get that logic but it's also an easy rush for the defense knowing the ball will be snapped with a a rundown.

I agree with you about going for the first down. You miss the field goal they are right there. You go for the first and fail and the same thing happens. First down is the more secure approach out of those two.

Some interesting analyses and wrong assumptions by many of us here:

1) Of course I was wrong about having to go 80 yards.  If the punt was a touch back, they would only have to go 40 yards to have a chance.

2) I was WRONG about the chances for conversion being better than Matt Bryant's chances from 57 yards.  That old dude is hitting 85% from 50 or more.  If his range was 57+ in warm ups, he was good for it.  Quinn knew that.  Meanwhile, the Falcons are a miserable 1/5 on fourth down conversions.  Obviously, some of those were desperation, and you know the chances were better here on fourth and short.  But they don't convert at the rate Bryant does!!!

3) The "timing" the snap for a block is not, or at least should not have been an issue. First, you can snap with a second or two.  (You want to take as much time as possible, but a second or two is not as big a deal.  Or maybe it is, which is why you don't pull a complete brain fart burning a final time out on TOP of the two minute warning.

I don't know what happened on that third down.  I HOPE the plan was to shift, reshift, hard count, and try to draw the Bucs offside.  I assume they had no intention of snapping the ball.  CONVERSELY, they really were confused and HAD to burn the time out.

Either scenario is unforgivable.  If you want to get the team to jump, you have to create more chaos.  And you do it on fouth down.  Consider what happened versus the following scenario:  Still third and two, but Hardy has just been tackled with 2:14 before the two minute warning.  The Falcons rush to the line of scrimmage, get set for a power running play.  Bucs would be "WTF!"  Ryan gets under center and does a hard count.  Then another hard count.  Then . . . 2 minute warning.

If the Bucs are going to jump, that would have been the scenario. 

But that would be asking a lot.  So you make your 4th down decision during the 2 minute time out.  And you call your 3rd down play based on your fourth down decision.  Are you going to go for it?  What's your play?  They had been running a ptich play off of the three tight end,  8(?!?) man line all day.  Maybe your run the same thing on third down, then fake the pitch to the week side and have one (or both) of the strong side tight ends come off  blocks for a reception from Ryan Rolling out.  

Whatever you figure out during the two minute warning, if you ARE going to try to draw the Bucs offside on third down, you STILL have a play called and you RUN IT!  Then you have your time out to use to milk as much clock as possible on fourth down OR to give your defense a breather during the final hurry up onslaught.

4) Bottom line:  You have to know your personnel.  At that point, Ryan was missing his 2 and 3 receivers and #1 running back.  And the Bucs are pretty good stopping the run.  So they would have double Julio, and probably Hooper as well.  A conversion was going to be difficult.  Even with less than a minute remaining and no time outs, the Falcons given up 2 consecutive TD's plus a FG before that (plus an interception in the endzone before THAT!)   The Falcons had given up game losing drives in every loss until the Pittsburgh blow out..  They did not have the personnel on offense or defense to convert or to punt and hold.

So my basic premise was wrong.  The FG WAS the right move.  (But they still showed crappy clock management.)

ATLFalcons11 and papachaz like this

7 minutes ago, TRUju2111 said:

An incomplete pass leaves bucs with way too much time

You're right, that it would have left a lot more time on the clock, but the clock wasn't the issue here. The issue was doing the best play capable of getting the 1st down so that it doesn't matter if they had been 2 minutes or 1 minute left in the game. The Falcons were not going to get that 1st down by running the ball. I wanted the Falcons to not have to put the defense back on the field because we know what happens.

Peyton likes this

19 minutes ago, MisterC said:

Just in case ya'll haven't seen it.

**** I wish we could tell what he was saying. Seeing bits of Ryan's actual personality is rarer than unicorns.

Vandy likes this

At the end, Ryan says something to the effect of " that's ********, have ******* faith in that." 

ETA: Maybe it's "them" instead of "that."

Edited by Falcon Ben

2 hours ago, HolyMoses said:

2) I was WRONG about the chances for conversion being better than Matt Bryant's chances from 57 yards.  That old dude is hitting 85% from 50 or more.  If his range was 57+ in warm ups, he was good for it.  Quinn knew that.  Meanwhile, the Falcons are a miserable 1/5 on fourth down conversions.  Obviously, some of those were desperation, and you know the chances were better here on fourth and short.  But they don't convert at the rate Bryant does!!!

So my basic premise was wrong.  The FG WAS the right move.  (But they still showed crappy clock management.)

I looked it up yesterday and I think the odd of converting 4th and 2 outside of goal line is line 60% or 70% where as making 57+ yards FG in the dorm is around 50% or less, though you are right about personnel being the Falcons and Bryant make those odd totally different.  I still think the right call is to try and convert that 4th down as I do not trust the Falcons defense when the game is on the line.      

HolyMoses likes this

2 hours ago, Geneaut said:

Didn't the Bucs call a timeout to ice Bryant? No way to milk any clock after that. Play clock was moot.

The timeouts were burned before the two minute warning. The clock was running, dude. 

Iron Saint likes this

3 hours ago, Geneaut said:

Didn't the Bucs call a timeout to ice Bryant? No way to milk any clock after that. Play clock was moot.

As Moses said, Tampa Bay burned all 3 of their timeouts before the 2-minute warning at 3:35, 3:29, and at 3:04.

Y’all took y’all final timeout immediately following the 2-minute warning so that might be what you’re thinking of. However, there was a play run between then and the field goal attempt (Coleman was stuffed on 3rd & 2) which started at 2:00 since it was right after the mandatory stoppage. After the Coleman run, the clock bled until 1:16 remaining.

https://nflcdns.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/57646/ATL_Gamebook.pdf

Scroll down to page 14.

Geneaut and HolyMoses like this

2 hours ago, MilleniumFalcon said:

"That was f*ing bulls*** like what I said" is what I got out of it.

I just could pick out "a bs f'n field day"

14 hours ago, MisterC said:

Just in case ya'll haven't seen it.

Probably saying he was sleepy and wish the twins get their day and nights on track. 

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

What are y’all b!tching about? Kicking the FG won us the game. If we had gone for it or punted I have no doubt Tampa wins game on a FG. 

They almost absolutely would have.    Now, normally, with 2 yards to go, you should be able to depend on your offense to convert.   The odds for that conversion should be greater than the odds of your kicker hitting the field goal from 57 yards.

Normally.

But, considering that Matt "Money" Bryant was the kicker, the odds change.   Throw in that we have attempted 5 4th down conversions this year and only converted 1 (20%), while our opponents have converted 4 of 4 (100%) the odds change further.   Throw the new odds in to the mix of having 3 of our 4 losses this year come from our opponents last drive and he really made the only decision that made sense.

You can't just go by the norm.   You have to know your personnel on both sides and factor your experience in games to that point when determining your best play.

I think he did - and I think he made the right decision.    I honestly believe any other decision yields a loss and we are 1-5 instead of 2-4.

HASHBROWN3 and Vandy like this