datchrisb1

Mock Draft (1st Quarter)

42 posts in this topic

Based on NFL power rankings:

Round1:

1. Arizona - Derrick Brown DT (Auburn)

2. NY Jets - Nick Bosa DE (Ohio ST)

3. San Francisco - Ed Oliver DT (Houston)

4. Houston - Greedy Williams CB (LSU)

5. Indianapolis - A.J. Brown WR (Ole Miss)

6. Denver - Ryan Finley QB (NC State)

7. Buffalo - Jeffery Simmons DT (Miss ST)

8. NY Giants - Drew Lock QB (Mizzou)

9. Oakland - Rashan Gary DT/DE (Michigan)

10. Atlanta - Devin White LB (LSU) 

Round 2: Joe Jackson - DE (Miami)

Round 3: Lamont Gaillard - OC/OG (UGA)

Round 4: Dontavious Russell - DT (Auburn)

Round 5: Kareem Orr - CB (Chattanooga)

Round 6: Rashad Lawrence - DT (LSU)

Round 7: BPA

Edited by datchrisb1

Too me it comes down to impact and snap count really. Inside at DT, it's such a heavy rotation there and essentially there jobs is to push the pocket on passing downs and be disruptive up the field on running downs. Grady plays a significant amount of snaps, aside from that its a heavy rotation. DT is more of a depth issue than talent in my opinion. Duke Riley isn't what we need in my opinion and both the weak and middle are interchangeable. All 3, strong, weak, and middle are 3 down positions. That means whoever is at linebacker has to be a beast, they don't come off the field essentially. The most significant, impactful improvement we can make is Devin White in the first in this scenario. We also heavily rotate our DEs, we need more pass rush in that rotation. Joe Jackson will fit perfectly in rotation with Beasley, Crawford, Reed, and Takk. Mack isn't getting any younger and we are not retaining Levitre. It's imperative we spend at least a top 3 pick on a center or guard. Russell and Lawrence are depth pieces in the middle to add to the rotation, I don't see us retaining neither McClain nor Shelby. Poole will most likely hit free agency, I see him also demanding more money than we can afford to give him. Orr is a better cover corner and a decent tackler. He will be our nickel corner for the next 4 or 5 years.  7th round will most likely be running back/ special teams driven.

Edited by datchrisb1
kiwifalcon likes this

No way is Brown the best prospect in the draft. 

Brown would be a good get at our draft pick or Raekwon Davis, Wilkins, or Ferrell. 

4 minutes ago, GleasonForever! said:

No way is Brown the best prospect in the draft. 

Brown would be a good get at our draft pick or Raekwon Davis, Wilkins, or Ferrell. 

Aside from Brown, wouldn't pick any of those guys above Devin White considering how we play our guys and our defensive scheme.

7 minutes ago, datchrisb1 said:

Aside from Brown, wouldn't pick any of those guys above Devin White considering how we play our guys and our defensive scheme.

Dude it’s time we start really drafting interior lineman early when we have the rare chance. White is a beast put the pressing need is more in the middle on both lines. 

21 minutes ago, datchrisb1 said:

Too me it comes down to impact and snap count really. Inside at DT, it's such a heavy rotation there and essentially there jobs is to push the pocket on passing downs and be disruptive up the field on running downs. Grady plays a significant amount of snaps, aside from that its a heavy rotation. DT is more of a depth issue than talent in my opinion. Duke Riley isn't what we need in my opinion and both the weak and middle are interchangeable. All 3, strong, weak, and middle are 3 down positions. That means whoever is at linebacker has to be a beast, they don't come off the field essentially. The most significant, impactful improvement we can make is Devin White in the first in this scenario. 

I like a lot of what you say. However, I think you're really ignoring opportunity cost. In order to pick an offball LB that high in the draft, they have to be a Luke Kuechly/Patrick Willis transcendent player. Is White one of those players? I don't know but there aren't many of them. You can usually still get a really good offball LB early in the 2nd like we got with Deion Jones. I think there or the 3rd is the place to replace Riley. 

Edited by Summerhill

6 minutes ago, GleasonForever! said:

Dude it’s time we start really drafting interior lineman early when we have the rare chance. White is a beast put the pressing need is more in the middle on both lines. 

I don't think the problem is talent, the problem is depth. I think both Grady and Senat are starters, even McClain is "okay", but behind them who??? Meanwhile, we have a undermanned 3 down position to deal with!

1 minute ago, Summerhill said:

I like a lot of what you say. However, I think you're really ignoring opportunity cost. In order to pick an offball LB that high in the draft, they have to be a Luke Kuechly/Patrick Willis transcendent player. Is White one of those players? I don't know but there aren't many of them. You can usually still get a really good offball LB early in the 2nd like we got with Deion Jones. I think there or the 3rd is the place to replace Riley. 

I think White is a transcendent Luke Kuechly type yes. That's at least what I think.

Summerhill likes this

If it ain't White, maybe Mack Wilson or Tevon Coney who will be gone by our second pick. I would consider Khalil Hodge, other than that I don't think any of these linebackers this year are what we desire.

I'm only just starting to learn prospects and spent a few minutes watching tape of most of the top DT's and now just watched some of Nick Bosa. Holy crap his tape is insane. Almost every play is a highlight. I want him. I think he's better and more explosive than his brother. 

datchrisb1 likes this

14 minutes ago, Summerhill said:

At the very least he's a Roquan Smith type.That's the floor IMO. He's physical at the point, legit linebacker as far as tackling, has a nose for the ball, has the instincts you need, speed to cover running backs, tight ends, everything you need...

20 minutes ago, datchrisb1 said:

I don't think the problem is talent, the problem is depth. I think both Grady and Senat are starters, even McClain is "okay", but behind them who??? Meanwhile, we have a undermanned 3 down position to deal with!

Dude they start but we need to be an elite team. Look at the jags line. Grady and Senat would be 3rd-5th on the D line depth chart. 

Look at the Rams interior. We don’t come come close  

look at philly D line  Ngata, Cox and co. Not to mention the DE’s they have. 

We need to attempt to be on that level. 

Edited by GleasonForever!

1 minute ago, GleasonForever! said:

Dude they start but we need to be an elite team. Look at the jags line. Grady and Senat would be 3rd-5th on the spine depth chart. 

Look at the Rams interior. 

I get your point man and it's valid, not saying it's not. If you read my comment prior I understand this. That weakside is a definite hole, like every single down hole to plug and there are like 4 linebackers who can fill it in this draft. It's early, if we had a definite we have to get Khalil Hodge later, then cool otherwise to me that weakside is more of a priority than adding along the defensive line. The Rams and Jags can do that because they have a rookie/semi rookie QB under contract. We can't afford to be them. The interior are vets, who happen to be 1st round picks. We can't afford vets who happen to be 1st round picks along the interior. The only guys the team actually drafted are Aaron Donald and Taven Bryant. That team didn't even do what you are talking about. They drafted first round talent up front, signed first round talent also. What team can afford Aaron Donald and Suh? There are pretty much at least 20 other teams who can't do that, including us.

I love White and Mack Wilson, but I'm struggling to see us spending a 1st on a linebacker given our needs elsewhere. Debo and Campbell are our nickel LB's and I'm good with that. 

5 minutes ago, datchrisb1 said:

I get your point man and it's valid, not saying it's not. If you read my comment prior I understand this. That weakside is a definite hole, like every single down hole to plug and there are like 4 linebackers who can fill it in this draft. It's early, if we had a definite we have to get Khalil Hodge later, then cool otherwise to me that weakside is more of a priority than adding along the defensive line. The Rams and Jags can do that because they have a rookie/semi rookie QB under contract. We can't afford to be them. The interior are vets, who happen to be 1st round picks. We can't afford vets who happen to be 1st round picks along the interior. The only guys the team actually drafted are Aaron Donald and Taven Bryant. That team didn't even do what you are talking about. They drafted first round talent up front, signed first round talent also. What team can afford Aaron Donald and Suh? There are pretty much at least 20 other teams who can't do that, including us.

I think it comes down to talent. If some DT available in the top 10 is the next Fletcher Cox or Gerald McCoy, you pick him because he's better than Jarrett and Senat and probably better than half the other prospects at other positions available. That said the Falcons don't need some random draft pick for DT depth. They have enough of that or can sign affordable veterans like McClain or Logan. 

24 minutes ago, Smiler11 said:

I love White and Mack Wilson, but I'm struggling to see us spending a 1st on a linebacker given our needs elsewhere. Debo and Campbell are our nickel LB's and I'm good with that. 

40 minutes ago, GleasonForever! said:

Dude they start but we need to be an elite team. Look at the jags line. Grady and Senat would be 3rd-5th on the D line depth chart. 

Look at the Rams interior. We don’t come come close  

look at philly D line  Ngata, Cox and co. Not to mention the DE’s they have. 

Why do you guys think Raseen Evans (among others) above Calvin Ridley was the Falcons target in the first round last year? 

And again GleasonForever, dude, I gotch you. Your point is valid, but not actually REAL, notice which teams you are referring to. Teams who can actually afford to do that. Out of your list maybe Raekwon Davis, those other guys aren't that "impactful" compared to a every down freak of nature player in White. Christian Wilkins to me is not a top 10 pick, maybe late first if that. I think he may slip to the second, Ferrell is overrated, also not a legit top 10 pick, he's just one of the best DE's this year. Put him in another draft, like last year or even Takks draft, he's a late first as well.

Edited by datchrisb1

48 minutes ago, datchrisb1 said:

Why do you guys think Raseen Evans (among others) above Calvin Ridley was the Falcons target in the first round last year? 

And again GleasonForever, dude, I gotch you. Your point is valid, but not actually REAL, notice which teams you are referring to. Teams who can actually afford to do that. Out of your list maybe Raekwon Davis, those other guys aren't that "impactful" compared to a every down freak of nature player in White. Christian Wilkins to me is not a top 10 pick, maybe late first if that. I think he may slip to the second, Ferrell is overrated, also not a legit top 10 pick, he's just one of the best DE's this year. Put him in another draft, like last year or even Takks draft, he's a late first as well.

Any position besides DT/DE is a fail to me in the first round. How many years do we have to say maybe next year for a dominant line. You KNOW we don’t spend jack squat in FA unless it’s our own so our only hope is to get good upper echelon d lineman in the draft. There may not be a Donald or even a suh in this class but we have to try getting the next best thing. We have lost to both of the past super bowl champs with them running it down our throats at will in the 3rd and 4th quarters. Our linebackers can’t stay clean. White will get trucked just like our current LBs cause they have no protection. 

18 hours ago, Summerhill said:

I think it comes down to talent. If some DT available in the top 10 is the next Fletcher Cox or Gerald McCoy, you pick him because he's better than Jarrett and Senat and probably better than half the other prospects at other positions available. That said the Falcons don't need some random draft pick for DT depth. They have enough of that or can sign affordable veterans like McClain or Logan. 

Nobody needs some random pick at any position for depth. The only people trying to pick random players are the people continuously stating the pick HAS to be a DT/DE, regardless of who or what is left on the board, which would make the pick random. Hint, hint.  Look at our depth in general, we have the players we need as far as starters, McClain, Jarrett, Senat, the guys behind them are practice squad or tweeners. That's an depth issue, not a talent issue. 

17 hours ago, GleasonForever! said:

Any position besides DT/DE is a fail to me in the first round. How many years do we have to say maybe next year for a dominant line. You KNOW we don’t spend jack squat in FA unless it’s our own so our only hope is to get good upper echelon d lineman in the draft. There may not be a Donald or even a suh in this class but we have to try getting the next best thing. We have lost to both of the past super bowl champs with them running it down our throats at will in the 3rd and 4th quarters. Our linebackers can’t stay clean. White will get trucked just like our current LBs cause they have no protection. 

Man look here.... 

That's a top 10 pick, treat it like one!

Your right, we will not have many opportunities like this if this was the case, so why mess it up by strictly drafting one position/player regardless of rather they are a top 10 pick or not. (See tier 1) Only people trying to pick "some guy" is the people calling for "a DT". Everyone in tier 2 are late first round value at best! Quit telling me about DT/DE when you can't point me to a specific player worth picking there that is left on the board. Last year Vita Vea went 12 overall, 12 dude! Daron Payne went 13, what you are promoting is Taven Bryan or PJ Hall at 10 when Luke Kuechly (went 9) or Roquan Smith (went 8) are still on the board. There are no more DT worth a top 10 pick! The rest are not dominating in college as a top 10 pick, you think they will do better in the NFL!  Meanwhile I chose a guy who is considered a top 5 pick at 10 overall at a position of need and your complaining. 

Tier 1:  DT->(Ed Oliver, Derrick Brown, Jeffrey Simmons, (maybe Quinnen Williams)) DE->(Nick Bosa, Rashan Gary)  

Tier 2: DT->(Dre'mont Jones (mid first), Dexter Lawrence (mid first), Raekwon Davis, Jerry Tillery, Demarcus Christmas, Christian Wilkins)DE->(Clelin Ferrell, Zach Allen (mid first), Joe Jackson, Chase Winovich, Brian Burns, Montez Sweat) 

Would you had picked Tavon Bryant at number 10 last year?

Edited by datchrisb1

17 hours ago, GleasonForever! said:

If you want this so bad, man you don't pick Chrisian Wilkins or Raekwon Davis at 10 overall. You pick Devin White at 10 overall and trade up for Christian Wilkins or Raekwon Davis later in the first. That's what you do! That is if the team wants a DT that bad. I doubt they do because like you said, we get dominated in the 3rd and 4th quarter or in spurts during the game. That's depth, not talent. You don't "do okay" sometimes, and then sometimes you don't. If it was talent, we would consistently lose up front, we don't. We need depth. We have Jarrett, and Senat going forward, maybe McClain but I doubt it. Besides Senat and Jarrett, all we have is practice squad guys and tweeners. DT is a depth issue dude.

18 hours ago, GleasonForever! said:

1. Why spend a pick at 10 overall on a guy who belongs at 20-25 at best?

2. And you don't think maybe another Jarrett (5th round) and Senat (3rd round) could come in and provide the depth needed to alleviate the comments in bold? Provide that ability to sustain the front consistently for all 4 quarters instead of just 2? 

14 minutes ago, datchrisb1 said:

1. Why spend a pick at 10 overall on a guy who belongs at 20-25 at best?

2. And you don't think maybe another Jarrett (5th round) and Senat (3rd round) could come in and provide the depth needed to alleviate the comments in bold? Provide that ability to sustain the front consistently for all 4 quarters instead of just 2? 

Devin white is not even a top 10 player in this draft

ChrisB, question for you. What makes you consider Lawrence a Tier 2 guy given his size and athleticism? Not saying you're wrong, just wanted to know what you see from him

7 minutes ago, Matt4415 said:

ChrisB, question for you. What makes you consider Lawrence a Tier 2 guy given his size and athleticism? Not saying you're wrong, just wanted to know what you see from him

He flashes, isn't consistent enough. Bama hasn't played anybody yet so you have to consider competition, really going off last year really. To me Quinnen Williams is the better player. It's too early for anybody to be right or wrong in this. Edit: Thinking about Davis, I  can put something up and show you since its Lawrence.

Edited by datchrisb1