Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mqg96

The Falcons have way more problems than just "injuries".

34 posts in this topic

This is going to be a very detailed post by me. I fan-posted this on the Falcoholic as well and I would like to share this with everyone on the Falcons boards. These are officially my thoughts on the Falcons 2018 season so far.  

That top 10 in scoring D we had last year was Dontari Poe, Adrian Clayborn, Keanu Neal, Deion Jones, and Ricardo Allen coming together and leading the other guys on defense. Robert Alford, Desmond Trufant, Brian Poole, and other guys were probably better and up'd their game because of the leadership of Rico and Debo on the field. Jarrett and Takk definitely helped too of course. Our defense came TOGETHER as a collective group with all of those guys from the 2017 unit.

When we got rid of Poe and Clayborn this off season, our D-line took an immediate step back and we saw that throughout the preseason. Once Debo, Neal and Rico went down, we were minus 5 major guys from last season's defense. Add the fact that Takk is banged up and even Grady too. You can't overcome that much and expect to be any better than last year, but when your defense is historically bad just because of 3 guys being out, even if they were major pro bowlers, our defense was already thin with lack of depth.

I understand those 3 injuries aren't just any injuries, it's 3 injuries to your MOST IMPORTANT and GAME CHANGING GUYS on defense. With that being said, we still have way too much talent on both sides of the ball to be a 1-4 team the first 5 weeks of the season, our worst start since 2013. Look at other teams around the league who have better depth than us and better coaching than us, there are no excuses for them. People keep saying it's all about the 3 major injuries defensively, but the Falcons have A LOT more problems than this.

1. Offensive play calling not clutch enough.

Our coaching is very poor in CLUTCH moments when it matters most. Our offense may have fixed its red zone issues from last season, but the few times our thin defense gives our offense a chance, we can't do anything.

For an example, against the Saints we get the ball back up 14-13 before the half and we could have gotten 3 points and led 17-13, but instead we have an immediate 3 & out deep in our own territory and the Saints immediately drive down the field and take a 16-14 halftime lead, and that was a SIX point difference swing right there that came back to hunt us. We were tied at 37 against the Saints before OT and the Falcons still had a chance to get in field goal range and win, and we did NOT get it done when we knew our defense wasn't stopping the Saints.

Against the Bengals we had a few opportunities offensively and we didn't get it done. Against the Steelers when it was 13-10 for AWHILE, our defense gave us opportunities throughout the 2nd & 3rd quarters but our offense couldn't do anything before the blowout began. We wait until it's too late or when we're trailing by a deficit to finally do something offensively and I get tired of this.

2. Blowing late leads continue to be a problem

Our defense keeps blowing leads in the 4th quarter and this goes back to 2016 of course. I don't understand what it is with our coaching staff not having a sense of urgency late in games. Even in our only win against the Panthers, we were up 31-17 late in the game and we give them a quick TD, and then we had to stop them in the red zone to survive 31-24 and could have easily blown that one. We were up 12-10 on the Eagles and lost 18-12. We were up 37-30 on the Saints and lost. We were up 36-31 on the Bengals and lost it. This pattern didn't start this year, it's been an ongoing problem with Dan Quinn and even the whole Matt Ryan era when Mike Smith was our head coach.

3. Special Teams

Our special teams have been bad, specifically our kick coverage and punting. We haven't had a good returner since Devin Hester for that little time. However, it seems like the few times we get a good return, it's always illegal block in the back for us. What's up with Matt Bosher's blocked punts 2 out of the last 3 games which were highly costly? It came back to hunt us against the Saints. It started the Steelers blowout on us late in the 3rd quarter. Keith Armstrong has to get it together or I don't know if he should still be our special teams coordinator.

4. Penalties and O-line

The boneheaded penalties at the worst possible times in the world drive me insane, in fact, we are the most penalized team in the league I believe. That falls on the entire coaching staff. Last but not least, our O-line pass blocking and pass protection have completely crashed, and it showed against a Steelers defense that had been struggling. I understand the season ending injury to Andy Levitre and that's very unfortunate, but once again we have A LOT more problems than just major injuries at multiple positions. Which I will continue on here.

5. Problems against the AFC

Dan Quinn's failures against AFC opponents are clear as day and night. I understand NFC games are more important in terms of playoff seeding and tiebreakers, but AFC games still count for your overall record. We have now lost 8 out of our last 9 AFC games going back to the Chargers in 2016. After the Bengals loss we are now 1-6 at home vs. AFC opponents under Dan Quinn as the head coach, 1-10 overall since 2013 though. The Falcons also has a 6 game losing streak to AFC North teams since 2014 even though we only play the division once every 4 years. AFC North teams are outdoor teams built with big physical guys up front and they grind you out, similar to how the Eagles are built who have always been a bad match up for the Falcons. If you CAN'T beat an AFC opponent, then you don't deserve to go to the Super Bowl anyway.

6. Has our defense ever been elite in the Dan Quinn era?

Back to my point about the Falcons struggles against opponents with big grinding teams up front. Dan Quinn's philosophy has always been speed & quickness over big guys and strength right? This is Dan Quinn's 4th year now, and after 4 years despite the injuries on defense for this year's team, our defense is still mediocre at best and you should have better depth across the roster built up in 4 seasons.

You are a defensive minded coach. Take out 2017 when we were top 10 in scoring D, and then look at our poor defensive numbers in 2015, 2016, and 2018. The 2015 Falcons had an easy schedule and let backup QB's beat them, and they were last in the league in sacks. The 2016 Falcons defense improved in the pass rush and takeaways, but the secondary was still weak and our defense struggled most of the season against above average offenses, and we know our high powered offense carried that team. 

Don't fool yourselves. We've never had an elite defense in the Dan Quinn era like we thought we would have by now. Yes, we've had talented players making plays, but we've always had the bend don't break style. Maybe it's the scheme, IDK. Someone help me out on this. Even the 2017 defense wasn't elite because we couldn't force turnovers and despite being top 10 in scoring D, we still struggled in yards per play apparently.

The 2018 Falcons defense is HISTORICALLY BAD despite 3 major injuries to pro bowl players. Like I said before, our defense this year is last year minus Poe, Clayborn, Neal, Debo, Rico, and Takk & Grady being banged up. 

7. Is it time to hold Dan Quinn accountable?

You are what your record says it is. Good teams find ways to win close games and eventually have a blowout win down the road. Bad teams find ways to lose close games and eventually have a blowout loss down the road, which is who we are right now. Dan Quinn has to realize this, but he believes that "we're find with what we have" or "we're better than what our record says" when we are clearly NOT. Elite head coaches would say "we are NOT a good team right now!" or say "we are NOT there yet!" and gets their team motivated. Watch Penn State head coach Jame Franklin's postgame speech after their loss to Ohio State in college football. That's a great example of an elite head coach and a motivator. 

Quinn also has said week after week "our issues are fixable and we will fix them", and it hasn't been fixed. We keep having missed tackles and poor technique week after week. We continue to have an excessive amount of penalties, and so forth. Anyone recall the 2010 Packers who had 18 players on IR and they didn't use any of that as an excuse. None of the "woe it's me" attitude. They must have had better coaching. Anyways, I'll leave the rest for y'all to analysis this. What do you believe is the problem with this year's Falcons so far? 

sdogg, Max, robertap and 7 others like this

Yep spot on, I've said alot of this as well and got lambasted for it. But we have some serious issues as you point out that have nothing to do with injuries.

I'd also like to point out that for more than a decade spanning different coaches we are always that fast and light team and that never seems to pay off when talking about the DL and OL. We ALWAYS get pushed around on both lines.

WHY can't we keep our speed skills guys but also add in some real weight across both lines? Tried of us losing the line of scrimmage battle on both sides year in and year out cause we are so under weight.

zekeyboy1, PokerSteve, mqg96 and 1 other like this

Besides injuries, most of everything you laid out points to poor preparation, poor coaching.  This is a very undisciplined and sloppy football team. 

The coaches are not stupid or unqualified, but they do seem to be stubborn, and fixated on a 'motivational poster' type of  guidance more than getting in the players' faces and firing them up. 

You can't be a player's best bud and coach him, not for long.  It's bound to bite you.  Yeah, I know this is the NFL,  players are grown men, blah blah blah...but grown men need bosses too, and the coach is the boss.  Dan Quinn does not come across that way. 

I like Quinn, but I'm not blind. 

21 minutes ago, octoslash said:

Besides injuries, most of everything you laid out points to poor preparation, poor coaching.  This is a very undisciplined and sloppy football team. 

The coaches are not stupid or unqualified, but they do seem to be stubborn, and fixated on a 'motivational poster' type of  guidance more than getting in the players' faces and firing them up. 

You can't be a player's best bud and coach him, not for long.  It's bound to bite you.  Yeah, I know this is the NFL,  players are grown men, blah blah blah...but grown men need bosses too, and the coach is the boss.  Dan Quinn does not come across that way. 

I like Quinn, but I'm not blind. 

Like Deion once said………….Not ready for Prime Time!

PokerSteve likes this

Totally agree!!

We've never had an Elite defense; last year was the first time since 1998 they even ranked in the top 10 

DQ for all his praise has only 1 division title in going on 4 years, with arguably the most talented team in the division

Edited by JKH5785
sdogg likes this

12 minutes ago, JKH5785 said:

Totally agree!!

We've never had an Elite defense; last year was the first time since 1998 they even ranked in the top 10 

DQ for all his praise has only 1 division win in going on 4 years, with arguably the most talented team in the division

One division win in 4 years? Last season he beat the buccies twice, saints and Panthers 1 each, that's 4 wins.

Am I misunderstanding your statement about division wins?

Do you mean division title?

1 minute ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

One division win in 4 years? Last season he beat the buccies twice, saints and Panthers 1 each, that's 4 wins.

Am I misunderstanding your statement about division wins?

Do you mean division title?

yes TITLE I mean

1 hour ago, JKH5785 said:

Totally agree!!

DQ for all his praise has only 1 division title in going on 4 years, with arguably the most talented team in the division

That 1998 defense was still way ahead of the 2017 defense because the 1998 defense was 4th in points allowed and led the league in turnover differential. The 2017 defense had problems with turnover differential and they were still weak in yards per play. What made the 2017 defense top 10 is that they were very clutch late in games and good in the red zone. See games against the Bears, Lions, Buccaners, or Saints (in Atlanta) last season. 

PokerSteve likes this

The talent masked many of the issues listed. Work the talent gone (on D) the issues are magnified. 

Quinn and his staff are doing a horrible job in the X and O department. 

PokerSteve likes this

I agree with a lot of your points, but not your conclusion.

There's no way our special teams should continue to be this awful. We appear not to even care about returns (not to mention all the blocked punts and more).

But ... Dan Quinn is the best coach we have ever had, by far. Yes, he has weaknesses, but the total package is remarkable. He's a master motivator and an incredible judge of talent.

The smart move IMO is to keep him, resolve to put up with his weaknesses, endure this wasted year and get back on track.

Which is WHY I finally came around to the trade Julio camp.  Not because of his performance because without Julio, that offense goes BACKWARDS.  The problem is since they will not under any circumstance think about trading Ryan, Julio is the only other chip they have that can address multiple areas. 

The Falcons are in serious trouble because of the over hyped talent of the current roster.  When Dimitroff made Ryan the focus of all the money and let Poe and Clayborn walk, that was the end of any chance of getting back to the playoffs...

Edited by slickgadawg
PokerSteve likes this

5 hours ago, mqg96 said:

This is going to be a very detailed post by me. I fan-posted this on the Falcoholic as well and I would like to share this with everyone on the Falcons boards. These are officially my thoughts on the Falcons 2018 season so far.  

That top 10 in scoring D we had last year was Dontari Poe, Adrian Clayborn, Keanu Neal, Deion Jones, and Ricardo Allen coming together and leading the other guys on defense. Robert Alford, Desmond Trufant, Brian Poole, and other guys were probably better and up'd their game because of the leadership of Rico and Debo on the field. Jarrett and Takk definitely helped too of course. Our defense came TOGETHER as a collective group with all of those guys from the 2017 unit.

When we got rid of Poe and Clayborn this off season, our D-line took an immediate step back and we saw that throughout the preseason. Once Debo, Neal and Rico went down, we were minus 5 major guys from last season's defense. Add the fact that Takk is banged up and even Grady too. You can't overcome that much and expect to be any better than last year, but when your defense is historically bad just because of 3 guys being out, even if they were major pro bowlers, our defense was already thin with lack of depth.

I understand those 3 injuries aren't just any injuries, it's 3 injuries to your MOST IMPORTANT and GAME CHANGING GUYS on defense. With that being said, we still have way too much talent on both sides of the ball to be a 1-4 team the first 5 weeks of the season, our worst start since 2013. Look at other teams around the league who have better depth than us and better coaching than us, there are no excuses for them. People keep saying it's all about the 3 major injuries defensively, but the Falcons have A LOT more problems than this.

1. Offensive play calling not clutch enough.

Our coaching is very poor in CLUTCH moments when it matters most. Our offense may have fixed its red zone issues from last season, but the few times our thin defense gives our offense a chance, we can't do anything.

For an example, against the Saints we get the ball back up 14-13 before the half and we could have gotten 3 points and led 17-13, but instead we have an immediate 3 & out deep in our own territory and the Saints immediately drive down the field and take a 16-14 halftime lead, and that was a SIX point difference swing right there that came back to hunt us. We were tied at 37 against the Saints before OT and the Falcons still had a chance to get in field goal range and win, and we did NOT get it done when we knew our defense wasn't stopping the Saints.

Against the Bengals we had a few opportunities offensively and we didn't get it done. Against the Steelers when it was 13-10 for AWHILE, our defense gave us opportunities throughout the 2nd & 3rd quarters but our offense couldn't do anything before the blowout began. We wait until it's too late or when we're trailing by a deficit to finally do something offensively and I get tired of this.

2. Blowing late leads continue to be a problem

Our defense keeps blowing leads in the 4th quarter and this goes back to 2016 of course. I don't understand what it is with our coaching staff not having a sense of urgency late in games. Even in our only win against the Panthers, we were up 31-17 late in the game and we give them a quick TD, and then we had to stop them in the red zone to survive 31-24 and could have easily blown that one. We were up 12-10 on the Eagles and lost 18-12. We were up 37-30 on the Saints and lost. We were up 36-31 on the Bengals and lost it. This pattern didn't start this year, it's been an ongoing problem with Dan Quinn and even the whole Matt Ryan era when Mike Smith was our head coach.

3. Special Teams

Our special teams have been bad, specifically our kick coverage and punting. We haven't had a good returner since Devin Hester for that little time. However, it seems like the few times we get a good return, it's always illegal block in the back for us. What's up with Matt Bosher's blocked punts 2 out of the last 3 games which were highly costly? It came back to hunt us against the Saints. It started the Steelers blowout on us late in the 3rd quarter. Keith Armstrong has to get it together or I don't know if he should still be our special teams coordinator.

4. Penalties and O-line

The boneheaded penalties at the worst possible times in the world drive me insane, in fact, we are the most penalized team in the league I believe. That falls on the entire coaching staff. Last but not least, our O-line pass blocking and pass protection have completely crashed, and it showed against a Steelers defense that had been struggling. I understand the season ending injury to Andy Levitre and that's very unfortunate, but once again we have A LOT more problems than just major injuries at multiple positions. Which I will continue on here.

5. Problems against the AFC

Dan Quinn's failures against AFC opponents are clear as day and night. I understand NFC games are more important in terms of playoff seeding and tiebreakers, but AFC games still count for your overall record. We have now lost 8 out of our last 9 AFC games going back to the Chargers in 2016. After the Bengals loss we are now 1-6 at home vs. AFC opponents under Dan Quinn as the head coach, 1-10 overall since 2013 though. The Falcons also has a 6 game losing streak to AFC North teams since 2014 even though we only play the division once every 4 years. AFC North teams are outdoor teams built with big physical guys up front and they grind you out, similar to how the Eagles are built who have always been a bad match up for the Falcons. If you CAN'T beat an AFC opponent, then you don't deserve to go to the Super Bowl anyway.

6. Has our defense ever been elite in the Dan Quinn era?

Back to my point about the Falcons struggles against opponents with big grinding teams up front. Dan Quinn's philosophy has always been speed & quickness over big guys and strength right? This is Dan Quinn's 4th year now, and after 4 years despite the injuries on defense for this year's team, our defense is still mediocre at best and you should have better depth across the roster built up in 4 seasons.

You are a defensive minded coach. Take out 2017 when we were top 10 in scoring D, and then look at our poor defensive numbers in 2015, 2016, and 2018. The 2015 Falcons had an easy schedule and let backup QB's beat them, and they were last in the league in sacks. The 2016 Falcons defense improved in the pass rush and takeaways, but the secondary was still weak and our defense struggled most of the season against above average offenses, and we know our high powered offense carried that team. 

Don't fool yourselves. We've never had an elite defense in the Dan Quinn era like we thought we would have by now. Yes, we've had talented players making plays, but we've always had the bend don't break style. Maybe it's the scheme, IDK. Someone help me out on this. Even the 2017 defense wasn't elite because we couldn't force turnovers and despite being top 10 in scoring D, we still struggled in yards per play apparently.

The 2018 Falcons defense is HISTORICALLY BAD despite 3 major injuries to pro bowl players. Like I said before, our defense this year is last year minus Poe, Clayborn, Neal, Debo, Rico, and Takk & Grady being banged up. 

7. Is it time to hold Dan Quinn accountable?

You are what your record says it is. Good teams find ways to win close games and eventually have a blowout win down the road. Bad teams find ways to lose close games and eventually have a blowout loss down the road, which is who we are right now. Dan Quinn has to realize this, but he believes that "we're find with what we have" or "we're better than what our record says" when we are clearly NOT. Elite head coaches would say "we are NOT a good team right now!" or say "we are NOT there yet!" and gets their team motivated. Watch Penn State head coach Jame Franklin's postgame speech after their loss to Ohio State in college football. That's a great example of an elite head coach and a motivator. 

Quinn also has said week after week "our issues are fixable and we will fix them", and it hasn't been fixed. We keep having missed tackles and poor technique week after week. We continue to have an excessive amount of penalties, and so forth. Anyone recall the 2010 Packers who had 18 players on IR and they didn't use any of that as an excuse. None of the "woe it's me" attitude. They must have had better coaching. Anyways, I'll leave the rest for y'all to analysis this. What do you believe is the problem with this year's Falcons so far? 

I like the way you think. I agree with this.

mqg96 likes this

24 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

When Dimitroff made Ryan the focus of all the money and let Poe and Clayborn walk, that was the end of any chance of getting back to the playoffs...

Dimitroff has to manage the cap, but letting Poe and Clayborn leave likely came more from Quinn overstating the quality of remaining roster.

Edited by JeffAtl
PokerSteve likes this

1 hour ago, Drbob said:

I like the way you think. I agree with this.

You need to quote all that for the reply you gave? **** you could have just liked the post even.

7 hours ago, MAD597 said:

Yep spot on, I've said alot of this as well and got lambasted for it. But we have some serious issues as you point out that have nothing to do with injuries.

I'd also like to point out that for more than a decade spanning different coaches we are always that fast and light team and that never seems to pay off when talking about the DL and OL. We ALWAYS get pushed around on both lines.

WHY can't we keep our speed skills guys but also add in some real weight across both lines? Tried of us losing the line of scrimmage battle on both sides year in and year out cause we are so under weight.

Falcons are a fancy FERRARI car with KIA engine! 

"6. Has our defense ever been elite in the Dan Quinn era?"

In Atlanta Falcons history when has our defense ever been "elite?" Mid to late 70's there was a year or two that we  one could call our defense "elite?"

We certainly didn't have an "eilte" defense ever under Smith, Mora, Reeves, Jones, Glanville, or Henning.  Yep, you have to fgo back to the Bennett/Campbell era from 1977-1982 to find an elite defense in a couple of those seasons.

Heck, with just an "average" or even slightly below average defense THIS year and we're 4-1!

Edited by Quarterback

The Forgotten Defense: The 1977 Falcons May Be the Best of All-Time

Points Allowed Per Game
1977 Falcons: 9.2
2000 Ravens: 10.2
1985 Bears: 12.1

Yards Allowed Per Game
1977 Falcons: 231.6
2000 Ravens: 247.9
1985 Bears: 258.4

I do think, however, that in today's game an elite defense isn't really all that necessary because they end up costing too much money against the cap. 

A good defense that is maybe a little better than middle of the pack overall but is mentally tough and has lots of fight in it will be good enough. 

Edited by JeffAtl

8 minutes ago, JeffAtl said:

The Forgotten Defense: The 1977 Falcons May Be the Best of All-Time

Points Allowed Per Game
1977 Falcons: 9.2
2000 Ravens: 10.2
1985 Bears: 12.1

Yards Allowed Per Game
1977 Falcons: 231.6
2000 Ravens: 247.9
1985 Bears: 258.4

I do think, however, that in today's game an elite defense isn't really all that necessary because they end up costing too money against the cap. 

A good defense that is maybe a little better than middle of the pack overall but is mentally tough and has lots of fight in it will be good enough. 

and of course the 1977 Falcons didn't make the playoffs because of an inept offense.... while the other 2 teams won Super Bowls :lol:

Mark my word, the next time the Falcons get back to the Super Bowl, it's going to be our defense that carries us rather than the offense, and defense wins championships. We will probably be the Eagles of the NFC South by the time we finally win our first Super Bowl more than likely with the rate things are going. It may not be until 2020, or even 2028 TBH. 

Edited by mqg96

35 minutes ago, Quarterback said:

"6. Has our defense ever been elite in the Dan Quinn era?"

In Atlanta Falcons history when has our defense ever been "elite?" Mid to late 70's there was a year or two that we  one could call our defense "elite?"

We certainly didn't have an "eilte" defense ever under Smith, Mora, Reeves, Jones, Glanville, or Henning.  Yep, you have to fgo back to the Bennett/Campbell era from 1977-1982 to find an elite defense in a couple of those seasons.

The 1998 defense was definitely elite. That team was 4th in scoring AND led the league in turnover differential. Having Jamal Anderson carrying the offense in rushing yards and time possession definitely helped the success of the defense too. We held Steve Young's 49ers to 18 points and we went up to Minnesota and beat the greatest Vikings team of all time with Cris Carter AND Randy Moss. That 1998 Falcons defense was legit, and to this day it's the last elite defense the Falcons had. 1977 and 1998 were 21 years apart. Maybe 2019 if the Falcons defense goes from worst to first between this year and next season? Optimism but I doubt it. The Panthers and Saints are ahead of us right now, ****, they both finished better than us last season too. 

Edited by mqg96

8 hours ago, mqg96 said:

The Falcons have way more problems than just "injuries".

The problem is, if you take the injuries away, all of those other items you list are hidden behind a 4-1 record and everyone would think you were crazy for pointing them out. 

While I could argue a few points, I think you are pretty much on target. 

mqg96 likes this

15 hours ago, DriveHomeSafelyAtlantaWins said:

But ... Dan Quinn is the best coach we have ever had, by far. Yes, he has weaknesses, but the total package is remarkable. He's a master motivator and an incredible judge of talent.

The smart move IMO is to keep him, resolve to put up with his weaknesses, endure this wasted year and get back on track.

Dude, I'm not comparing Dan Quinn to Mike Smith or any other previous head coach the Falcons had. I'm only talking about Dan Quinn himself and the FLAWS he has and whether he should be held accountable of his issues or not.

The only reason the Falcons made it to the Super Bowl in 2016 was because of our high powered offense and Shanahan. The 2016 Falcons defense gave up the 2nd most points allowed for a Super Bowl team (only the 2008 Cardinals gave up more). Dan Quinn's defense has never been close to elite and we are FOUR seasons in now with him.

Dan Quinn (THE HEAD COACH) has to overrule the coordinators when something isn't going right, but he doesn't do that. He didn't do it at the biggest stage in American professional sports.

No, we don't fire Dan Quinn after this season, that doesn't make sense because we were the only NFC team in the playoffs the past 2 seasons and we were in the Super Bowl the year before, however, once again that doesn't mean Dan Quinn didn't already have the weaknesses that I'm bringing up on this thread.

What happens when you have a lot of injuries and have to face adversity, that's what separates elite coaches from average coaches.

But, but, but we have music blasting during our practices.  Don't you want the play list??? And hey its a brotherhood, so everything is good!

This is 100% on Quinn and I would also throw in TD and Blank.  Quinn is 100% sold on what he has built, which was good two years ago but this is the NFL and you better adapt or you will get curb stomped.  Quinn thinks that what worked two years ago will work and refuses to make changes.  Vic and Freeman are two examples of that.

Want to know one of the things that keeps NE so lethal.  Every year they change something and teams just cant figure them out.  Gronk and Brady are the life blood of that team, along with decent lines but what else is consistent?  Belichick's coaching and strategy.  Are they going to have a big outside threat?  A good RB?  A good pressure defense?  Belichick will trade or cut a player in a heart beat if he thinks he can make the team better.  He will pick up good talent that has issues and use them for a year, then discard them as other teams adapt.

Quinn really thinks that he can keep the same core together every year and win.  This is the NFL and not Family.  You don't "ride" together, they don't have any obligation to each other except for the year they are in.  Other than that they better be ready to make some tough decisions.  I don't think Quinn is the man for the job.

WhenFalconsWin and mqg96 like this

I do agree with some of your points. I think we should've found a way to retain either Poe or Claiborne. And I agree that the offense can't seem to put teams away when the defense gives them a chance. This has been a problem the entire Ryan era.

But the injuries absolutely HAVE been the biggest issue for our failures this season. You don't fire a coach when he has an injury plagued season. It was wrong and stupid to fire Reeves in '03. And it would be foolish to fire Quinn now.

We are always too quick to panic in Atlanta. The pattern goes back as long as the city has existed. Just for once, we might try taking a play from the team who just beat the heck out of us. The Steelers are not rash to fire a coach who has a couple bad seasons. They hire someone they have trust in, and they stay out of their business and let's them figure it out. They have had THREE head coaches in 50 years. And SIX championships. It's my belief the two stats are connected.

Rhodaric likes this