MLB Offseason

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

Hard to sign a guy as a free agent when he is still under contract with another team. 

Frustration dude.  Its been TWENTY years since the Braves last won a playoff series.  With that weak pitching staff they need another big bat in the daily lineup. Frustrating seeing other teams stack up on talent and the Braves basically keep signing retreads...

1 minute ago, slickgadawg said:

Frustration dude.  Its been TWENTY years since the Braves last won a playoff series.  With that weak pitching staff they need another big bat in the daily lineup. Frustrating seeing other teams stack up on talent and the Braves basically keep signing retreads...

Well actually it's only been 18 years since we won a series. Just kidding with ya lol. 

I get it dude. It's frustrating to not be making tons of moves. But I can also see why we wouldn't want to sign a guy for 10 years and $300 million for a guy who loafs on plays and has one season over .300. If he was willing to come here for the 3/$90 deal, then oh yeah, I'm down. But most of those 10 year deals see a team paying big bucks for a great player early on, and then that player fades in the back half of their career.

It really would have been cool to have Machado here, but I'm not too wild about paying a guy $30 million for his age 34 and 35 seasons. Now if we are talking about Barry Bonds or Mike Trout, I would do that deal. But I doubt Machado will be hitting .362/.609/.812 with 45 homers and 101 RBI's like Bonds did. For example, Miguel Cabrera and Albert Pujols were 2 of the best hitters in baseball and now just aren't (although Cabrera has been hurt). 

I will say that Machado is younger and has a better chance of being a productive player in the 8th or 9th year of his deal, but he also isn't as good as Pujols or Cabrera were at their prime. If Machado could go anywhere, let him go to the Padres where he will waste away on a 3rd place team. 

Machado is a great player but getting impatient and throwing money around everywhere can actually ruin your franchise. Getting stuck with bad contracts can put you right back into rebuild mode. You have to look at the big picture and understand this really is business. They have budgets and profit margins. We will add more, whether it's now or before July 31 I dont know.

10 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

Well actually it's only been 18 years since we won a series. Just kidding with ya lol. 

I get it dude. It's frustrating to not be making tons of moves. But I can also see why we wouldn't want to sign a guy for 10 years and $300 million for a guy who loafs on plays and has one season over .300. If he was willing to come here for the 3/$90 deal, then oh yeah, I'm down. But most of those 10 year deals see a team paying big bucks for a great player early on, and then that player fades in the back half of their career.

It really would have been cool to have Machado here, but I'm not too wild about paying a guy $30 million for his age 34 and 35 seasons. Now if we are talking about Barry Bonds or Mike Trout, I would do that deal. But I doubt Machado will be hitting .362/.609/.812 with 45 homers and 101 RBI's like Bonds did. For example, Miguel Cabrera and Albert Pujols were 2 of the best hitters in baseball and now just aren't (although Cabrera has been hurt). 

I will say that Machado is younger and has a better chance of being a productive player in the 8th or 9th year of his deal, but he also isn't as good as Pujols or Cabrera were at their prime. If Machado could go anywhere, let him go to the Padres where he will waste away on a 3rd place team. 

I just read a article that Mark Bradley over at the AJC did today about Machado.  He agrees with me that between Harper and Machado, Machado is the better player.  Bradley also made a point about WHY a Braves signing of Machado would have made sense for the same reason he says it DOES make since why San Diego signed him.  The Padres have the number 1 ranked farm system.  The Braves are ranked 3rd.  They both have the youth to build AROUND Machado.  San Diego can wait a couple years on this.  The Braves were in even BETTER position than the Padres because their daily lineup would have been complete with Machado.  I know its a big contract but thats the market now...

Edited by slickgadawg
1 minute ago, slickgadawg said:

I just read a ariticle that Mark Bradley over at the AJC did today about Machado.  He agrees with me that between Harper and Machado, Machado is the better player.  Bradley also made a point about WHY a Braves signing of Machado would have made sense for the same reason he says it DOES make since why San Diego signed him.  The Padres have the number 1 ranked farm system.  The Braves are ranked 3rd.  They have the youth to build AROUND Machado.  San Diego can wait a couple years on this.  The Braves were in even BETTER position than the Padres because their daily lineup would have been complete with Machado.  I know its a big contract but thats the market now...

Oooohhhh.. well since Mark Bradley said so.. 

:lol:

1 minute ago, TheTrue7 said:

Oooohhhh.. well since Mark Bradley said so.. 

:lol:

Mark put some thought into it.  Its easy to say " what are the Padres thinking? "  He pointed out that when the Angels signed Pujols to that big contract, Pujols was a lot older which brought that signing into question.  The Padres can build around Machado.  Same thing the Braves could have done...

7 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

Mark put some thought into it.  Its easy to say " what are the Padres thinking? "  He pointed out that when the Angels signed Pujols to that big contract, Pujols was a lot older which brought that signing into question.  The Padres can build around Machado.  Same thing the Braves could have done...

Why not build around the younger Acuna, Albeis, Riley, Camargo, should I keep going?

42 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

Why not build around the younger Acuna, Albeis, Riley, Camargo, should I keep going?

Because that would require faith that those guys turn into stars which means patience and waiting for them to develop and we know that it's now or never with the folks on this message board. Giving guys a few years in the majors to develop and mature is blasphy!! It's why everyone is ready to run Dansby off like he's the devil!