MLB Offseason

Unknøwn

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Gomes to DC is done

I hate to give credit to rivals, but I like the Gomes/Suzuki tandem for Washington. It should be light-years better than the dumpster fire that has been their catching situation since Wilson Ramos blew out his knee. 

Mariners/Mets deal is done!!

• Mets get RHP Edwin Diaz, 2B Robinson Cano and $20M.
  • M's get 1B/OF Jay Bruce, RHP Anthony Swarzak, RHP Gerson Bautista, RHP Justin Dunn, and OF Jarred Kelenic.

Dunn was the Mets 1st round pick in 2016 and Kelenic was a 1st round pick in 2018.

MLBTR is comparing this deal with the deal the Braves made with the Padres when they packaged Craig Kimbrel and Melvin Upton Jr. together to get rid of Upton's terrible contract. The Mets will be responsible for paying Cano $100 over 5 years for his age 36-40 seasons. It's also worth noting that new Mets GM, Brodie Van Wagenen was Cano's agent that worked out the deal that Cano signed with the M's back in 2014.

As a Braves fan, I absolutely love that the Mets made this move!! I think it makes them a worse team now and in the future despite now having the best closer in baseball.

7 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Mariners/Mets deal is done!!

• Mets get RHP Edwin Diaz, 2B Robinson Cano and $20M.
  • M's get 1B/OF Jay Bruce, RHP Anthony Swarzak, RHP Gerson Bautista, RHP Justin Dunn, and OF Jarred Kelenic.

Dunn was the Mets 1st round pick in 2016 and Kelenic was a 1st round pick in 2018.

MLBTR is comparing this deal with the deal the Braves made with the Padres when they packaged Craig Kimbrel and Melvin Upton Jr. together to get rid of Upton's terrible contract. The Mets will be responsible for paying Cano $100 over 5 years for his age 36-40 seasons. It's also worth noting that new Mets GM, Brodie Van Wagenen was Cano's agent that worked out the deal that Cano signed with the M's back in 2014.

As a Braves fan, I absolutely love that the Mets made this move!! I think it makes them a worse team now and in the future despite now having the best closer in baseball.

This is hilarious 

New York media discovered Edwin Diaz had to take a smaller bonus after he was drafted. Doctors found a bone spur condition in his elbow. He still has the issue but has never been bothered by it. A doctor told the NY media that it could be a problem at any time but that it's a good sign it hasn't worsened. 

5 hours ago, jidady said:

For some reason, Philly's trading JP Crawford for Jean Segura. It seems like last week that Crawford was the future for the Phillies.

Media in Philly was saying in September that they would trade anyone not named Nola or Hoskins this winter. They want to a rebuild in one winter and are willing to spend anything necessary. 

1 hour ago, Malachore said:

I am confused by Seattle this offseason. 

30 minutes ago, jidady said:

Seattle's GM is a Billy Beane type. He's never content with a bad team.

Thing is that they didn't have a bad team, they were just the 3rd best team in their division. They won 87 games. It was the best season for the Mariners in a decade. But Dipoto has clearly decided that he needed to follow the Braves, Astros and Cubs model for winning, and I can understand that. A lot of the Mariners wins were smoke and mirrors and unsustainable. They set a new MLB record for 1-run wins in a season. They were due for massive regression in that department. I think Dipoto deserves a lot of credit for looking beyond the W/L record and seeing that what little success they had was unsustainable and that major changes were needed to put a team on the field in the future that could have sustained success.

34 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Thing is that they didn't have a bad team

Their Pythagorean was 77-85. They were one of the luckiest teams in recent memory, as you point out. And Dipoto is absolutely right to try something different. I loved the trade with the Mets and the Phillies one seems even better.

1 hour ago, jidady said:

Their Pythagorean was 77-85. They were one of the luckiest teams in recent memory, as you point out. And Dipoto is absolutely right to try something different. I loved the trade with the Mets and the Phillies one seems even better.

I agree that the Mets trade was good, but the M's got slaughtered in this Phillies trade.

16 minutes ago, K26dp said:

I agree that the Mets trade was good, but the M's got slaughtered in this Phillies trade.

Nicasio had an ERA of 6 this year and is 32. Segura costs $14 million a year from now on and is about to turn 29. I like him as a player, but I don't 5 years, $70 million like him. Seattle got him to take that contract and then never had to pay him the money. Pazos at least makes some sense for Philly. Seattle gets a former top 5 overall prospect and a viable 1B/DH candidate. I'd rather have Segura than Crawford straight up, of course, but I'd take a chance on the next three years of Crawford at $2 million total over $42 million for Segura, too.