Unknøwn

MLB Offseason

1,485 posts in this topic

Just now, Malachore said:

His career slash looks worse than Ugla's last years.

Uggla's last 4 years (2012-2015)

• .193/.316/.348 (.664)

Mike Zunino's last 3 years (2016-2018)

• .223/.300/.462 (.763)

Notice the big difference between the two? Slugging percentage. The other big difference is the position that they play. It's extremely rare to find catchers who carry high averages and OBP's, that's why when you find one he's special and you hang onto him. But finding a catcher to hit for big pop is even more rare, which is why you over look the low average and OBP. You also overlook those things if he's a great defensive catcher like Zunino, unlike Uggla who was a bad defensive 2nd baseman. Zunino has hit 57 homeruns in the last 3 years. He's hit 50 doubles in the last 3 years. That excites me!! It also excites me that in 2017 he hit for a decent average .251 and OBP of .331. Proving that the ability is there for him to give you decent numbers in those areas. With 2 years of team control, yes I would jump all over that. Especially when I look at Tyler Flowers and the difference that Kevin Seitzer made on his career.

On 11/3/2018 at 8:46 PM, falconsd56 said:

I would not mind him back in Atlanta if the cubs ate most of his salary...Heyward,Acuna,and Ender is one **** of a defensive outfield.

But they would need to eat A LOT of his salary

Id rather have Markakis, he just won a gold glove and has a way way way way way better bat

7 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Why? Why wouldn't you want a guy with a wRC+ of 127 in 2016 and 117 in 2017 who's great at throwing out baserunners? What's not to like about a guaranteed 25 dingers from your catcher? He's also still young and has untapped offensive potential.

Zuninos garbage, no thank you..big black hole in the lineup..They actually sell beers at a bar here in washington every monday during the season that are the price of his average. Its bad when they are $1.97 and the bartender says they went up from last week $1.93..NO THANK YOU!

49 minutes ago, TRUju2111 said:

Zuninos garbage, no thank you..big black hole in the lineup..They actually sell beers at a bar here in washington every monday during the season that are the price of his average. Its bad when they are $1.97 and the bartender says they went up from last week $1.93..NO THANK YOU!

Yeah, 127 and 117 wRC+ is such a black hole. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Yeah, 127 and 117 wRC+ is such a black hole. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sea fans hate him...i seen enough 200 hitters on the braves, hard pass!!

5 minutes ago, TRUju2111 said:

Sea fans hate him...i seen enough 200 hitters on the braves, hard pass!!

I don't care if his average is .069. If he's got a wRC+ of 127 or 117 that means he's doing good. J.T. Realmuto's wRC+ last year was only 115 to compare the two.

4 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I don't care if his average is .069. If he's got a wRC+ of 127 or 117 that means he's doing good. J.T. Realmuto's wRC+ last year was only 115 to compare the two.

Wrc does not take batting avg into the equation. Also Realmuto was the highest rated all around catcher and it wasnt even close. So to have Realmuto and Zunino in the same convo is a joke

2 minutes ago, TRUju2111 said:

Wrc does not take batting avg into the equation. Also Realmuto was the highest rated all around catcher and it wasnt even close. So to have Realmuto and Zunino in the same convo is a joke

Batting average has been PROVEN to be of less importance than on-base percentage and slugging percentage. There's a reason that teams don't care that much about strikeouts anymore. It's because it's been PROVEN that strikeouts really don't matter in the grand scheme of things.

ATL Fan in the DMV likes this

3 hours ago, TRUju2111 said:

Id rather have Markakis, he just won a gold glove and has a way way way way way better bat

Not a knock on Markakis, but Heyward would have easily won the RF Gold Glove, but 20% of his PT was in center field this season. Let's not pretend that Markakis is actually a better defensive player.

9 minutes ago, K26dp said:

Not a knock on Markakis, but Heyward would have easily won the RF Gold Glove, but 20% of his PT was in center field this season. Let's not pretend that Markakis is actually a better defensive player.

Markakis still has a way better bat and you are not losing much with the glove..way way better bat

10 minutes ago, TRUju2111 said:

Markakis still has a way better bat and you are not losing much with the glove..way way better bat

He certainly was for the first half of 2018.

7 hours ago, TRUju2111 said:

I'm not defending Heyward but Nick wasn't anything to be happy with for 3.5 of his life.

2 hours ago, Malachore said:

I'm not defending Heyward but Nick wasn't anything to be happy with for 3.5 of his life.

Point is I dont want Heyward..Id rather go big, young, or stick with our guy. Heyward would be a pointless move

15 minutes ago, TRUju2111 said:

Point is I dont want Heyward..Id rather go big, young, or stick with our guy. Heyward would be a pointless move

I agree with with that. I like Heyward, but that ship has sailed. 

TRUju2111 likes this

Anytime you can get a guy coming off a 1.3 WAR year for $300 million, you got to do it.

The bad news here is that I'm pretty sure the Nats leaked that so that they have a defense when he signs elsewhere. I would have loved for him to wreck their payroll through 2028.

28 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

Rays are getting Mike Zunino and Guillermo Heredia from Seattle for Mallex Smith.

Bummed for Mallex. Going from a contender to a non-contender.

45 minutes ago, K26dp said:

Bummed for Mallex. Going from a contender to a non-contender.

Guess the Mariners learned their lesson and decided to get Mallex back?

But seriously, Rays have had a black hole revolving door at catcher for a long time now. Hope Zunino fixes that problem. But I hate that they had to give up Mallex to do it.

Houston is being picked apart. They've lost 3 coaches on their staff to promotions and Fast changes FO's. Jays hired their hitting coach as bench coach, Angels hired their bullpen coach as pitching coach and the Cardinals hired their assistant hitting coach as their own hitting coach. 

Scott Boras tried to float the idea that Harper could handle 1B to the media yesterday. The reasoning behind that is the Yankees have been vocal they're set in the OF and need a 1B. Boras obviously wants to keep people believing the Yankees checkbook is in the mix for Harper. Of course all that media then started digging and came back with the a definitive no from the Yankees about any interest in Harper.

2 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Houston is being picked apart. They've lost 3 coaches on their staff to promotions and Fast changes FO's. Jays hired their hitting coach as bench coach, Angels hired their bullpen coach as pitching coach and the Cardinals hired their assistant hitting coach as their own hitting coach. 

Some of this is natural, in that successful teams will always be looked at for hiring FO and coaches.

But some of these guys are leaving the Astros before securing another job, like Fast. Complete speculation, but I wonder if any of this is due to 1) Jeff Ludlow being as difficult to work for as rumored and 2) people still being as PO'd about the Robert Osuna trade as rumored.