Unkn0wn

MLB Offseason

1,485 posts in this topic

Mets and deGrom agree to 5 years $137.5M. An option for 6th year would pay him $32.5M more. He can also opt out after 3 years. 

7 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Mets and deGrom agree to 5 years $137.5M. An option for 6th year would pay him $32.5M more. He can also opt out after 3 years. 

I live in NY.  the talk show hosts are roasting the Mets front office for this extension.  I do not understand this extension.  They could have waited until the end of 2019.  Ensure he did not get injured then do the extension.  The wilpons listening to the fans again.  I LOVE IT as a Braves fan.    

Outside of the fact that he is 30, I don't see any issue with this extension. You lock up a popular clubhouse guy and one of the 10 best pitchers in all of baseball. He had elbow surgery in 2016, but from my recollection, it hasn't been an issue since that point. 

6 minutes ago, ATLBrave said:

Outside of the fact that he is 30, I don't see any issue with this extension. You lock up a popular clubhouse guy and one of the 10 best pitchers in all of baseball. He had elbow surgery in 2016, but from my recollection, it hasn't been an issue since that point. 

Same here!! I don't understand why this could be a doom and gloom deal for the Mets.

deGrom gets $108M during the contract. $52.5M is deferred, Mets GM said new advisor David Wright came up with the structure. 

6 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Same here!! I don't understand why this could be a doom and gloom deal for the Mets.

Its the Mets.  Living here and hearing the local talk radio.  the fans agree but the sports writers do not.  The big winner is Noah S and Zach Wheeler.  If they stay healthy and have great years.  They are going to get paid somewhere but not by the Mets.  Mets fans were afraid the Yankees would scoop him in in 2 years.