Unknøwn

MLB Offseason

1,485 posts in this topic

34 minutes ago, Malachore said:

I feel like this cost the Marlins some leverage in trade talks.

Bring him home AA.

He said it last year too after Yelich and Stanton were traded but he still suited up for them. He won't pull a Le'veon Bell.

David Price announced he will not opt out of his contract. He will remain in Boston.

Kershaw has until 11:59 PM tomorrow night to decide. He is expected to sign with the Dodgers very quickly if he opts out.

Nats bring in Trevor Rosenthal. He gets $7M base per year with team/vesting options tacked on. Deal can max out at $40M with performance incentives. Rosenthal did not have a team last year due to an injury so he didn't have to wait on MLB free agency to begin.

22 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

Nats bring in Trevor Rosenthal. He gets $7M base per year with team/vesting options tacked on. Deal can max out at $40M with performance incentives. Rosenthal did not have a team last year due to an injury so he didn't have to wait on MLB free agency to begin.

He's a guy I really wanted the Braves to stash away like the Rays did with Nathan Eovaldi last year.

The Reds managed to convince Brewers pitching coach Derek Johnson to leave. Johnson has agreed to be the Reds pitching coach. Brewers reportedly fought hard to keep him but failed.

16 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

The Reds managed to convince Brewers pitching coach Derek Johnson to leave. Johnson has agreed to be the Reds pitching coach. Brewers reportedly fought hard to keep him but failed.

Must have been a major pay raise to take the job in Cincinnati and that ball park.

Astros decline the option on Brian McCann. It was an expected move, McCann would have made $15M in 2019. Entering his age 35 season McCann isnt what he use to be.

11 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

Astros decline the option on Brian McCann. It was an expected move, McCann would have made $15M in 2019. Entering his age 35 season McCann isnt what he use to be.

Nope. He's really fallen off and has started having injury issues on top of it. I was really hoping that a homecoming as backup was in order for him but that went out the window when Flowers was resigned.

9 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

David Price announced he will not opt out of his contract. He will remain in Boston.

Kershaw has until 11:59 PM tomorrow night to decide. He is expected to sign with the Dodgers very quickly if he opts out.

Dodgers granted Kershaw an extension on his decision. He has until 4 PM tomorrow.

2 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Nope. He's really fallen off and has started having injury issues on top of it. I was really hoping that a homecoming as backup was in order for him but that went out the window when Flowers was resigned.

He wouldn't be a bad fall back option if his knee surgery helped him out. Obviously the Braves should explore other options first.

Falconsfan567 likes this

10 minutes ago, K26dp said:

He wouldn't be a bad fall back option if his knee surgery helped him out. Obviously the Braves should explore other options first.

He and Flowers would make a decent platoon. But that's only if all the other options just aren't worth the asking price. B-Mac still hits for decent power against RHP. So that's where the Braves could make a platoon work. But we should do better.

Some speculation Kershaw will opt in to his final 2 years and get a 2 year extension. Dodgers want him to retire in LA and Kershaw has no intentions of ever leaving. The thought was if he opted out it was only to get a new, long deal in LA.

9 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

He and Flowers would make a decent platoon. But that's only if all the other options just aren't worth the asking price. B-Mac still hits for decent power against RHP. So that's where the Braves could make a platoon work. But we should do better.

I was kinda thinking this last night when I first saw this.  I'd love to have Mac back just out of principle, not to mention the extra pop he has.  

Falconsfan567 likes this

Cubs accepted Cole Hamels $20M team option. They then flipped Drew Smyly to Texas. Cubs have little flexibility with their payroll left so they have to get creative to add.

2 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Cubs accepted Cole Hamels $20M team option. They then flipped Drew Smyly to Texas. Cubs have little flexibility with their payroll left so they have to get creative to add.

Rumors are they are working on finding a taker for Jason Heyward and/or Brandon Morrow.

Due to budget constraints the Indians are listening to trade offers on their veterans. They wont listen on Lindor or Ramirez. They also declined to offer the QO to any of their free agents.

Just now, Unkn0wn said:

Due to budget constraints the Indians are listening to trade offers on their veterans. They wont listen on Lindor or Ramirez.

I'd been wondering if they'd offer up Kluber. There could be the "true ace" everyone seems to want.

Malachore likes this

3 minutes ago, K26dp said:

I'd been wondering if they'd offer up Kluber. There could be the "true ace" everyone seems to want.

According to Buster Olney they will listen on Kluber.

12 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

According to Buster Olney they will listen on Kluber.

I'd offer Gausman, Wright, and a lottery ticket for Kluber and Kipnis. If they didn't want to water down the deal with Kipnis for a better take, let the lottery ticket turn into Kolby Allard or Greyson Jenista.

Falconsfan567 likes this

10 minutes ago, K26dp said:

I'd offer Gausman, Wright, and a lottery ticket for Kluber and Kipnis. If they didn't want to water down the deal with Kipnis for a better take, let the lottery ticket turn into Kolby Allard or Greyson Jenista.

Would they really do Kluber for those guys? Basically a rental, a top prospect and a guy who was severely overwhelmed in limited time?

Just now, Malachore said:

Would they really do Kluber for those guys? Basically a rental, a top prospect and a guy who was severely overwhelmed in limited time?

Maybe? Gausman is under control for two years at arb prices, so he's not a rental. Wright and Allard were both 1st-rounders that have high-level minor league success. And Kipnis's contract is under water. 

The math works out, but who knows?

Malachore likes this

Just now, K26dp said:

Maybe? Gausman is under control for two years at arb prices, so he's not a rental. Wright and Allard were both 1st-rounders that have high-level minor league success. And Kipnis's contract is under water. 

The math works out, but who knows?

I was under the impression Gausman was in his past year of arbitration. I think Wright will be good just feel like Allard will get knocked around terribly up here.

Less-talented pitchers than Allard have figured it out. He's also still only 21YO. But if Cleveland doesn't want Allard, I'd sub in pretty much anyone not Soroka/Touki/Pache/Riley/Anderson.