Unkn0wn

MLB Offseason

1,485 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Unkn0wn said:

Multiple reports that the Dodgers have suddenly jumped back in on Harper. If they're serious about him that could be a huge threat to Philly. Harper would be close to home and have the LA stage.

Buster Olney adds that NL teams can explore longer deals with the knowledge the DH will be happening soon.

Whomever gets Harper better win soon or have an opt out. His contract will be an albatross in a few years. It isn't like Washington has won any WS with him and they have a decent payroll too. I for one am glad we aren't in this race.

1 hour ago, Dawggone said:

Whomever gets Harper better win soon or have an opt out. His contract will be an albatross in a few years. It isn't like Washington has won any WS with him and they have a decent payroll too. I for one am glad we aren't in this race.

Harper is a little unique in that hes only 26 now. I'd be willing to give him a little longer deal than normal since hes not pushing 30 yet. $300M is too much though, eats up too much of your payroll. That's why the new reports say the Dodgers will give Harper his big salary but only for the short term. No opt out, just a 3 or 4 year deal for the $30M per.

1 hour ago, Malachore said:

God I hate the Dodgers.

Would be better than the Phillies but I don't se the Phillies letting him get away

15 minutes ago, TRUju2111 said:

Would be better than the Phillies but I don't se the Phillies letting him get away

The thing about Philly is that Harper doesnt really want to play there. That's why this is dragging out. Hes hoping someone will offer something close. We had heard weeks ago both Machado and Harper weren't that excited to play for the Phillies. Even some recent rumblings have suggested Harper is still on the fence about it. The Dodgers are more his style and he's open to the shorter deal he can go where he wants. If he just cares about money then he can end up in Philly. 

43 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

The thing about Philly is that Harper doesnt really want to play there. That's why this is dragging out. Hes hoping someone will offer something close. We had heard weeks ago both Machado and Harper weren't that excited to play for the Phillies. Even some recent rumblings have suggested Harper is still on the fence about it. The Dodgers are more his style and he's open to the shorter deal he can go where he wants. If he just cares about money then he can end up in Philly. 

It's not just about what he wants. As one of the top free agents of the decade the players union is going to push for him to take max years and dollars

1 hour ago, Unkn0wn said:

Yankees and Aaron Hicks agree to 7 years $70M. Can be $82.5M with a team option for an 8th year.

If this isn't a wasted contract then idk what is.

Couldn't happen to a better franchise.

1 hour ago, Malachore said:

Yankees aren't sweating $10M a year if he falls off.

9 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

As true as that is there were way better options to spend that money on

2 hours ago, Malachore said:

50 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

40 minutes ago, TRUju2111 said:

As true as that is there were way better options to spend that money on

The last 2 years Aaron Hicks has turned in WAR's of 3.9 and 4.7. He did the 3.9 in 2017 in only 88 games. Aaron Hicks has quietly turned into one of the best outfielders in all of baseball. I wonder if the Twins are regretting giving up on him as quickly as they did. This is what I keep trying to tell you guys that are ready to run Dansby out of town. It just takes longer for some guys to hit their stride in the majors. This is a steal!!

1 hour ago, Falconsfan567 said:

The last 2 years Aaron Hicks has turned in WAR's of 3.9 and 4.7. He did the 3.9 in 2017 in only 88 games. Aaron Hicks has quietly turned into one of the best outfielders in all of baseball. I wonder if the Twins are regretting giving up on him as quickly as they did. This is what I keep trying to tell you guys that are ready to run Dansby out of town. It just takes longer for some guys to hit their stride in the majors. This is a steal!!

The 2 OF prospects were the reason I said it was a waste but it's the Yankees.

42 minutes ago, Malachore said:

The 2 OF prospects were the reason I said it was a waste but it's the Yankees.

Funny you saying that considering you're one of the one on here who's most afraid of prospects not panning out. You're always talking about going with proven players over prospects and that's exactly what the Yankees are doing here and now you're calling it a waste? I don't get it.

2 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Dude bats for a really low avg, tired of WAR if dude has a ****** batting avg than he's not that good of a hitter

Just now, TRUju2111 said:

Dude bats for a really low avg, tired of WAR if dude has a ****** batting avg than he's not that good of a hitter

Is it 1985?? His OBP the last 2 years is .372 and .366. His SLG the last 2 years is .475 and .467. Those two numbers are miles more important than average will ever be. Aaron Hicks walked more and struck out less than Freddie Freeman in 2018.

Just now, Falconsfan567 said:

Is it 1985?? His OBP the last 2 years is .372 and .366. His SLG the last 2 years is .475 and .467. Those two numbers are miles more important than average will ever be. Aaron Hicks walked more and struck out less than Freddie Freeman in 2018.

You just put Hicks and Freeman in the same sentence to prove a point. You should be stoned, what a crock lol

Just now, TRUju2111 said:

You just put Hicks and Freeman in the same sentence to prove a point. You should be stoned, what a crock lol

I'm just trying to make you understand how stupid it is to use batting average as a means of evaluation.

3 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I'm just trying to make you understand how stupid it is to use batting average as a means of evaluation.

You seem like a guy that never played baseball, just a dude that looks at stats on a computer. Either way I don't care enough about there signing. In a couple years when he's a total bum that's the Yankees problem

16 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Funny you saying that considering you're one of the one on here who's most afraid of prospects not panning out. You're always talking about going with proven players over prospects and that's exactly what the Yankees are doing here and now you're calling it a waste? I don't get it.

I don't think Aaron Hicks is a very good player contrary to what the stats say for 2 years those could have just been too good years the guy has trouble staying healthy too.  Also has a little bit to do as far as our team with me not trusting the prospects coming up because we haven't exactly been very good at growing talent outside of this possible crop.

But it's mainly because I hate the ******* yankees.

1 minute ago, TRUju2111 said:

You seem like a guy that never played baseball, just a dude that looks at stats on a computer. Either way I don't care enough about there signing. In a couple years when he's a total bum that's the Yankees problem

LOL!!! Baseball is my sport. It's the sport I played my whole life growing up. But nice try at attempting to undercut me by saying I never played and only looks at numbers. I've proven several times on here my baseball knowledge is vastly superior to yours.

26 minutes ago, TRUju2111 said:

Expect Harper to sign with Philly 10 years 330-350m range in the next couple days

Phillies are overpaying but Harper is gonna make that lineup that much more better.  They got thumpers up and down that lineup with Harper in the middle...

8 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

Phillies are overpaying but Harper is gonna make that lineup that much more better.  They got thumpers up and down that lineup with Harper in the middle...

Ya they are definitely looking like the favorite in the East

slickgadawg likes this

28 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

Phillies are overpaying but Harper is gonna make that lineup that much more better. 

He's gonna suck, his teammates will hate him, Phillies fans will hate him, and he'll bring Philly down from within. And that's why it'll be such a joykill when signs with the Dodgers or somebody else. Philly will stumble into Keuchel or Kimbrel or both and be much better.

23 minutes ago, jidady said:

He's gonna suck, his teammates will hate him, Phillies fans will hate him, and he'll bring Philly down from within. And that's why it'll be such a joykill when signs with the Dodgers or somebody else. Philly will stumble into Keuchel or Kimbrel or both and be much better.

No way Harper went through this whole offseason and turned down so many offers for a 3 year deal. All the Dodgers did was insure that Harper makes atleast 33m annual salary and Machado secured the 10 year deal. Well played LA, well played!!!