Unknøwn

MLB Offseason

1,485 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

It’s pointless..

Yep. I give up.

There's a difference between mentioning real concerns in an objective manner and then making up extremes that can easily be dunked by real facts. There's not a single one of us here that doesn't see areas for concern and where additions could be made to aliviate some of those concerns. But some of these posts are downright ridiculous and not even worth the time because the same nonsense keeps getting spewed no matter how wrong it is.

TheTrue7 and JDFIII like this

44 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

Corbin is overrated

I don't think he is, I think he's finally found what works for him. Being around Scherzer will help him as well.

Saying that I hope you are right and he sucks donkey **** for his contract in Washington. 

17 hours ago, tl;dr said:

People seem to be expecting every young pitcher to be like Greg Maddux every start or ever batter to be like Barry Bonds and never hit a wall.

What if it's not a wall and they are who they are? Be a long season

2 hours ago, TRUju2111 said:

What if it's not a wall and they are who they are? Be a long season

It's possible. But pretty much all players hit a wall at some point. If you like what you've seen to this point, you just have to trust that they are going to make those changes. Look at Newcomb for instance. Dude was lights out til about August or so (give or take a bit) and then he hit his wall. 

Of course older players are going to adjust better. They have more experience and know how to do so. 

ATL Fan in the DMV likes this

Well known MLB columnist Nick Cafardo has died. He was 62. Cafardo died at Red Sox facility after suffering an embolism. The Sox medical team tried to save him but were not able to.

5 hours ago, tl;dr said:

It's possible. But pretty much all players hit a wall at some point. If you like what you've seen to this point, you just have to trust that they are going to make those changes. Look at Newcomb for instance. Dude was lights out til about August or so (give or take a bit) and then he hit his wall. 

Of course older players are going to adjust better. They have more experience and know how to do so. 

Newcomb is a terrible example, his downfall was the racist tweet or whatever that surfaced the day after the ump blew his no no. Hopefully he can shake whatever emotional strain it had on him. 

My biggest issue with the young guys is they had a tendency to throw a lot of balls at times. Even if they fix there control issues this could lead to them being more hittable. Too many ifs for a team that could have put themselves in the drivers seat for a WS

42 minutes ago, TRUju2111 said:

Newcomb is a terrible example, his downfall was the racist tweet or whatever that surfaced the day after the ump blew his no no. Hopefully he can shake whatever emotional strain it had on him. 

My biggest issue with the young guys is they had a tendency to throw a lot of balls at times. Even if they fix there control issues this could lead to them being more hittable. Too many ifs for a team that could have put themselves in the drivers seat for a WS

Bruh :lol:

TRUju2111 likes this

3 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Well known MLB columnist Nick Cafardo has died. He was 62. Cafardo died at Red Sox facility after suffering an embolism. The Sox medical team tried to save him but were not able to.

Saw he passed, but didn’t see the cause. Awful stuff. Thoughts are with his family. 

2 hours ago, TRUju2111 said:

Is that why he still turned in good starts on the road?

• at WAS = 6 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 HR, 2 BB, 6 SO
  • at MIA = 6 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 HR, 3 BB, 8 SO
  • at SF = 6 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 HR, 0 BB, 8 SO
  • at NYM = 5 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 HR, 4 BB, 8 SO

But whatever, I know this is a waste of time because you're pull some unreal ******** out of your *** that doesn't make one lick of sense and try to pass it off as you being smarter than everyone else here.

1 hour ago, ATLBrave said:

Saw he passed, but didn’t see the cause. Awful stuff. Thoughts are with his family. 

They said that he wasn't even working today. Was just out at the park as a fan. Very sad when something like this happens so suddenly.

12 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Is that why he still turned in good starts on the road?

• at WAS = 6 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 HR, 2 BB, 6 SO
  • at MIA = 6 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 HR, 3 BB, 8 SO
  • at SF = 6 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 HR, 0 BB, 8 SO
  • at NYM = 5 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 HR, 4 BB, 8 SO

But whatever, I know this is a waste of time because you're pull some unreal ******** out of your *** that doesn't make one lick of sense and try to pass it off as you being smarter than everyone else here.

So you think Newcomb pitched good down the stretch? Lol I am not even the one who brought him up lol. Why are you arguing with me, sad look on u

Edited by TRUju2111

7 minutes ago, TRUju2111 said:

So you think Newcomb pitched good down the stretch? Lol I am not even the one who brought him up lol. Why are you arguing with me, sad look on u

I said he still pitched good on the road where it was cooler. Meaning that the heat of pitching in Atlanta and it being late in the season is probably the reason for his struggles, not that old tweet he sent out when he was in high school like you were rambling on about. I have no idea how in the world you completely missed that point.

11 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I said he still pitched good on the road where it was cooler. Meaning that the heat of pitching in Atlanta and it being late in the season is probably the reason for his struggles, not that old tweet he sent out when he was in high school like you were rambling on about. I have no idea how in the world you completely missed that point.

I don't believe in coincedences

13 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Here's the thing about Newc at home and his sweating.

That's not going to change so it worries me.

TRUju2111 likes this

2 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Ya we already have a pitcher who can't pitch at home (Julio)

2 minutes ago, Malachore said:

That is a legit concern. He's not just going to stop sweating but there are things that can be done so it's not as big of a problem for him. Maybe changing jerseys 2 or 3 times a game so he has a place to dry his hands on. Maybe wearing some type of long sleeve that sucks in the sweat instead of wicking it away so that it runs down his arms onto his hands. Those are two options. I would hope someone would have pulled him aside and they've worked on finding a way to manage his sweating problem better so it's not the same issue again.

Just now, TRUju2111 said:

I'm a big Newcomb fan but when I noticed his sweating it made me worry.

Just now, Falconsfan567 said:

That is a legit concern. He's not just going to stop sweating but there are things that can be done so it's not as big of a problem for him. Maybe changing jerseys 2 or 3 times a game so he has a place to dry his hands on. Maybe wearing some type of long sleeve that sucks in the sweat instead of wicking it away so that it runs down his arms onto his hands. Those are two options. I would hope someone would have pulled him aside and they've worked on finding a way to manage his sweating problem better so it's not the same issue again.

Yeah I know Folty sweats a good bit too but always wears those compression sleeves that he says helps him with it.

1 minute ago, TRUju2111 said:

Julio had many good starts at STP in 2018.

• vs. PHI = 6 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 HR, 3 BB, 9 SO
  • vs. NYM = 7 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 HR, 1 HR, 6 SO
  • vs. NYM = 7 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 HR, 3 BB, 3 SO
  • vs. SD = 6 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 HR, 3 BB, 11 SO
  • vs. TOR = 6 2/3 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 HR, 3 BB, 5 SO
  • vs. ARI = 6 1/3 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 HR, 3 BB, 6 SO
  • vs. MIL = 6 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 HR, 2 BB, 6 SO
  • vs. COL = 7 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 HR, 2 BB, 7 SO
  • vs. PIT = 7 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 HR, 2 BB, 5 SO

Julio's problem is that when he has a bad start he gives up 6, 7, or 8 runs instead of his bad starts being 4, 5 or 6 runs. That kills his ERA and wipes out his good work when looking at his overall numbers.

That is where Mike Foltynewicz made his biggest improvement in 2018. He learned to limit his damage allowed. Instead of giving up 6, 7, or 8 runs in his bad starts he learned to limit his bad starts to giving up only 4, 5, or 6 runs. That made a huge difference to his overall numbers and performance. Julio is still young enough and still plenty talented enough to right the ship and figure out how to regain his consistency and get back to having an ERA that is 3.60 or lower. I know all of us have had or fair share of "dump Julio!!!" posts and moments but who knows? It might actually turn out to be a blessing that he's still here. I'm eager to see what effect Rick Kranitz has on Julio and if he can get Julio back to being the really good #2 starter he was for a few years.

8 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Yeah I know Folty sweats a good bit too but always wears those compression sleeves that he says helps him with it.

Yep. And Folty used to not always wear those sleeves. He didn't start that until about midway through the 2018 season.

10 minutes ago, Malachore said:

I'm a big Newcomb fan but when I noticed his sweating it made me worry.

I have never seen a pitcher sweat as much as he did that day against the Yankees. He looked like he was standing out in a rain storm he was sweating so much.

Malachore likes this

Boras reportedly refuses to let Harper sign for less than Machado. 

Philly plans to make a run at Keuchel and/or Kimbrel if they can't land Harper or move on from him.

Ervin Santana to the White Sox on a minors deal with a Spring invite. 

Jose Reyes is trying to get an invite from anyone who will give it.