Unkn0wn

MLB Offseason

1,470 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

I still dont understand what the Padres are doing.

Same here!! First Hosmer last year and now Machado this year. They've got 3 players now making over $20M. Too bad the majority of the rest of their roster looks like garbage! Hello 3rd place at best.

14 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

Machado!!!

Would have looked good behind Acuna and Freeman...

Image result for manny machado home run vs braves

Fitting he signs with the Padres.. you know, since he’s your daddy and all.. 

i kid I kid

21 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

i kid I kid

I don't. That's all he can slobber all over! Machado didn't do squat outside of one HR in the entire playoffs but he's not objective enough to realize that. Maybe he'll go root for the Padres and leave us all the heIl alone.

20 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

i kid I kid

I've been saying for years now that the Braves AND Hawks are trying to win on the cheap.  Manny could have been on the market for less than half that and the Braves wouldn't have made a move for him.  They ain't fooling me...

Just now, Falconsfan567 said:

I don't. That's all he can slobber all over! Machado didn't do squat outside of one HR in the entire playoffs but he's not objective enough to realize that. Maybe he'll go root for the Padres and leave us all the heIl alone.

:lol:

1 hour ago, Unkn0wn said:

I still dont understand what the Padres are doing.

1 hour ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Same here!! First Hosmer last year and now Machado this year. They've got 3 players now making over $20M. Too bad the majority of the rest of their roster looks like garbage! Hello 3rd place at best.

Admittedly, the Hosmer signing was bad because he's not that good of a baseball player. But it's not hard to see what they are doing. They have enough high-level prospects to subsidize handing out big contracts like this. Unless they address pitching, I still don't think they will be competitive in '19, but they've got some great arms coming soon. Plus there's a strong likelihood that Machado and Tatis will be the best left side of an infield by 2020.

15 minutes ago, K26dp said:

Admittedly, the Hosmer signing was bad because he's not that good of a baseball player. But it's not hard to see what they are doing. They have enough high-level prospects to subsidize handing out big contracts like this. Unless they address pitching, I still don't think they will be competitive in '19, but they've got some great arms coming soon. Plus there's a strong likelihood that Machado and Tatis will be the best left side of an infield by 2020.

Meh. Gore is easily the best one, while the rest have some pretty major red flags. Morejon can't stay healthy and while Paddack has put up some gaudy numbers, one could point to his advanced age in A ball as an explanation for that. Not to mention that he's got no breaking pitch. As a righty, even with two plus pitches, not having even an average - above average is typically a deal breaker. 

Padres still offering Harper as well. They want both.

White Sox offered 8 years $250M. Were only willing to top $300M through incentives and vesting options. 

Falconsfan567 likes this

1 minute ago, Unkn0wn said:

Padres still offering Harper as well. They want both.

I hope they get him!! It would be so funny to laugh at the Phillies.

12 hours ago, TRUju2111 said:

Harper is about to sign with Philly, we need pitching so bad after this signing

Told ya, Harper to Phillis is next

6 hours ago, TRUju2111 said:

Harper to Philly, Machado to SD, be done by the end of the week

Told ya, Harper to Phillies is next  

Doesn't SD have a very good farm system? They need pitching but I can see this working out for them. They are just kind of doing it backwards which is risky.

4 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Doesn't SD have a very good farm system? They need pitching but I can see this working out for them. They are just kind of doing it backwards which is risky.

Yep and like the Braves it's a lot of pitching. Thats where they plan to get their arms.

Interesting point brought up, Padres could see a bigger revenue stream. They are now the only sports franchise in the city. The metro has 3.3 million people which is largest one team market in the country. Padres hope to take advantage. 

If the phillies don't get Harper expect them to make a push for either Kimbrel or Keuchle and if the phillies do get Harper, the braves will make a final push for 1 of the 2 pitchers