Unkn0wn

MLB Offseason

1,485 posts in this topic

I just saw that the White Sox offered Machado 8 years $250 million. IMO he’d be a fool not to take it unless he just doesn’t want to play there. 

3 hours ago, Malachore said:

This is an understatement.. I've never seen in off season as battery and it makes it even more frustrating because I feel like there are deals out there we could get and we're not doing it because we're looking ahead to 2020 for some silly reason.

I really don't believe this to be the case. The FO is value oriented because they have to work within a budget. If the value isn't there, you wait until the price comes down.

If the choice is between say, Dallas Keuchel at $20M/year or Mike Soroka at $0.575M/year, what do you take? Personally, I take Soroka who may outperform Keuchel straight up.

The more I hear though, the more I think the FO is trying to get Harper on a short deal. They denied it, but I hear more and more that AA did go to Denver during the Winter Meetings specifically to present to Liberty Media the rationale for expanding the payroll to get Harper. There is a number there that the Braves would sign him for, but he and Boros aren't biting yet. And I stand by my long-standing pessimism that the Braves will sign him, and I think pursuit of Harper has lead to an opportunity cost of missing out on other pieces that could have been useful. 

Malachore likes this

42 minutes ago, K26dp said:

I really don't believe this to be the case. The FO is value oriented because they have to work within a budget. If the value isn't there, you wait until the price comes down.

If the choice is between say, Dallas Keuchel at $20M/year or Mike Soroka at $0.575M/year, what do you take? Personally, I take Soroka who may outperform Keuchel straight up.

The more I hear though, the more I think the FO is trying to get Harper on a short deal. They denied it, but I hear more and more that AA did go to Denver during the Winter Meetings specifically to present to Liberty Media the rationale for expanding the payroll to get Harper. There is a number there that the Braves would sign him for, but he and Boros aren't biting yet. And I stand by my long-standing pessimism that the Braves will sign him, and I think pursuit of Harper has lead to an opportunity cost of missing out on other pieces that could have been useful. 

I think if the Braves sign Harper and it's only for only 3 or 4 years that way it doesn't keep us from signing the kids long-term, well that's win-win in my book. We haven't seen the best of what Harper is capable of as a player and I think getting into a better chemistry situation with the Braves will bring out the best in him.

JDFIII and ATL Fan in the DMV like this

2 hours ago, Black Francis said:

I just saw that the White Sox offered Machado 8 years $250 million. IMO he’d be a fool not to take it unless he just doesn’t want to play there. 

Yep. Harper also turned down 10/300 from the Nationals during the season. So the players can scream all they want to about the money not being there but fact is that they're being extremely greedy. I'd like to know what Kimbrel's best offer is as well.

28 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Yep. Harper also turned down 10/300 from the Nationals during the season. So the players can scream all they want to about the money not being there but fact is that they're being extremely greedy. I'd like to know what Kimbrel's best offer is as well.

The money is there. For sure. Maybe just not from the teams they want to play for? Like the Braves?! Lol. One can dream. 

Harper for 3-4 years might be just long enough, a man can dream. A player like him completely changes this lineup for sure.

53 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Harper for 3-4 years might be just long enough, a man can dream. A player like him completely changes this lineup for sure.

I'd go:

Acuna
Harper
Donaldson
Freeman
Albies
Inciarte
Swanson
FlowMac

Malachore likes this

14 minutes ago, K26dp said:

I'd go:

Acuna
Harper
Donaldson
Freeman
Albies
Inciarte
Swanson
FlowMac

That 1-4 might be the best in baseball. 

13 hours ago, K26dp said:

I'd go:

Acuna
Harper
Donaldson
Freeman
Albies
Inciarte
Swanson
FlowMac

Not that it matters much but I'd flip Dansby and Ender. But yeah, that's one **** of a lineup and would rival any team in baseball.

2 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Harper has reportedly informed teams he has zero interest in short term deals.

Per Jon Heyman, the official Scott Boras mouthpiece. 

1 hour ago, Malachore said:

Wonder what he considers short term though, under 4 years?

I believe anything less than 5. Its believed the Giants offered 5 years and that's the shortest one hes got so far.

Malachore likes this

On 2/11/2019 at 5:25 PM, CrimsonFalcon said:

Who do I have to kill to get this to happen? 

Probably about 4-5 entire franchises from top to bottom

Phillies sign Aaron Nola for 4 years at $45M. There's a 5th year option. Phillies now have the rights to Nola for the next 5 years if they exercise the option. That means years (2019-2023) and Nola's age 26-30 seasons for only $56.75M.

• 2019 - $4M ($2M signing bonus)
  • 2020 - $8M
  • 2021 - $11.75M
  • 2022 - $15M
  • 2013 - $16M ($4.25M buyout)

This is exactly the kind of deal the Braves should be trying to ink with Mike Foltynewicz. Nola gives up 2 free agent years with the deal.

Twins extended a couple of their young players. Max Kepler gets 5 years at $35M with a 6th year option at $10M. Jorge Polanco gets 5 years at $25.75M and a pair of club options.

Astros GM Jeff Luhnow confirmed he had an agreement to acquire Bryce Harper last July. Nats ownership killed the deal. Back in July we had heard Nats GM Rizzo had multiple deals ready to go but ownership refused to sign off.