Unkn0wn

MLB Offseason

1,006 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

It is legally Victor Victor 

I know some Latin names involve the mothers last name as part of their middle night or something.  

26 minutes ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

I know some Latin names involve the mothers last name as part of their middle night or something.  

His dad is Victor Mesa. His brother is Victor Mesa.

13 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

Angels name Brad Ausmus manager. That's an upset, Eric Chavez was the favorite going in.

That is just dumb. Did they not learn anything from his time with the Tigers?

12 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Reds name David Bell manager.

Reds won that one.

Tells me too that the Angels are going to try to re-load rather than rebuild. Ausmus isn't a developmental manager. Well, he's not much of any kind of manager, but especially not one to get the most out of young players.

Falconsfan567 likes this

Girardi dropped out of the Texas search. DeRosa declined to interview saying hes happy at MLB Network. Twins had also been interested in DeRosa. 

4 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Girardi dropped out of the Texas search. DeRosa declined to interview saying hes happy at MLB Network. Twins had also been interested in DeRosa. 

Guess I was wrong about DeRo.

13 hours ago, Malachore said:

So why is Girardi even answering the phone if he's not interested?

Leverage. If he decides he wants a job he can command more money with more interested teams. After deciding not to go to Cincinnati he decided to sit out another year so he just turned around and dropped out of Texas too.

Malachore likes this

Mets are down to 3 for their GM job. Rays VP Chaim Bloom, Doug Melvin and Brodie Van Wagenen. Melvin is of course a former GM that's nearly 70. Wagenen has never worked in a FO before, hes an agent that represents a few Mets including Cespedes and deGrom. Wagenen apparently developed a good relationship with ownership as an agent. 

1 hour ago, Unkn0wn said:

Mets are down to 3 for their GM job. Rays VP Chaim Bloom, Doug Melvin and Brodie Van Wagenen. Melvin is of course a former GM that's nearly 70. Wagenen has never worked in a FO before, hes an agent that represents a few Mets including Cespedes and deGrom. Wagenen apparently developed a good relationship with ownership as an agent. 

Wait, wouldn't being an agent and GM be a conflict of interests? There's no way MLB could allow him to do both jobs.

11 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Wait, wouldn't being an agent and GM be a conflict of interests? There's no way MLB could allow him to do both jobs.

He would resign his position as an agent. It's happened before just not in MLB I don't think. I know it has in the NBA, maybe not GM but other positions. 

16 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

He would resign his position as an agent. It's happened before just not in MLB I don't think. I know it has in the NBA, maybe not GM but other positions. 

Agent Jeff Moorad resigned when he bought into the Arizona Diamondbacks.

Falconsfan567 likes this

34 minutes ago, K26dp said:

Agent Jeff Moorad resigned when he bought into the Arizona Diamondbacks.

Why would a team hire an agent? Is it because they think the agent will help them lure free agents by understanding that side of negotiations?

8 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Why would a team hire an agent? Is it because they think the agent will help them lure free agents by understanding that side of negotiations?

Sure. Some agents are also just quality baseball people. 

Falconsfan567 likes this

A lot of agencies are also adding analytics. Agents need to learn and know these things for negotiations since more teams are using the data now.

7 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Twins name Rocco Baldelli their new manager.

This is great. I'm so happy for Rocco. One of my favorite guys to watch play. He'll always be one of those "what could have been" guys.

On 10/24/2018 at 0:03 PM, Unkn0wn said:

Doug Melvin is out. Down to two.