Unkn0wn

MLB Offseason

1,485 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, K26dp said:

3. Braves: Ian Anderson and one of Ender Inciarte or Austin Riley. The Braves don't want to trade Anderson and is trying to work out sending a lessor prospect or two.

Ender and Gohara/Fried plus a lottery ticket works me although I'm (MUCH) more interested in Kluber than Realmuto. We'd switch Camargo to the OF, at least until we bring in somebody, and then Riley gets third. That's win/win for those particular pieces.

tl;dr likes this

Well, AA hinted at a trade being sort of close. Wouldnt say if it was an OF or what. If he did send Ender to Miami he could have another trade lined up for another corner OF.

2 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Well, AA hinted at a trade being sort of close. Wouldnt say if it was an OF or what. If he did send Ender to Miami he could have another trade lined up for another corner OF.

Recently hinted or Chopfest?

3 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Recently hinted or Chopfest?

It was from THIS about 10 days ago.

Very interesting.

However, I'd bet most trades/deals that fall through are kinda like that - can agree to most parts of the deal, but can't quite get over the hump to finalize and consummate it.

When I took my Negotiations class in business school, it was the same way - the deals that didn't work we had largely agreed to the framework, but got hung up on some other smaller details or just couldn't get quite close enough to the middle to agree.

Edited by ATL Fan in the DMV
Malachore likes this

4 minutes ago, ATL Fan in the DMV said:

It was from THIS about 10 days ago.

Very interesting.

However, I'd bet most trades/deals that fall through are kinda like that - can agree to most parts of the deal, but can't quite get over the hump to finalize and consummate it.

When I took my Negotiations class in business school, it was the same way - the deals that didn't work we had largely agreed to the framework, but got hung up on some other smaller details or just couldn't get quite close enough to the middle to agree.

I was hoping it was a more recent and different one because I've all but given up on that 1, nothing gets 70% done almost 2 weeks ago (this time of year) and doesn't consummate. It's likely dead and that's why he moved on to signing the very underwhelming Nick Markakis. 

If AA were being completely unabashedly honest with us, I'd HAVE to think that he is not happy with this offense going into the season as is currently constructed and knows he has to get some big WAR upgrades somehow. He volunteered information saying that our offense from the second half and playoffs won't cut it, and the only things we've done so far are 1) bring back a former MVP-level player that is now older and has been injured recently [albeit he can be a HUGE boon if healthy] 2) signed BMac to replace Suzuki - which while a nice homecoming, will probably net us less WAR than Suzuki did [not that I want Suzuki back even if available] and 3) signed a year-older 35 Markakis who had a career year buoyed by a fantastic first half and sub-replacement second half possibly due to fatigue, age-related decline, and just overall he-hasn't-been-good-in several-years-outside-of-OBP. Sure, Albies, Acuna, and ever-mercurial Swanson could all take steps forward, but that's a lot of IF's to be counting on when we should now be primed to make some noise in the playoffs.

That's why I believe a trade for a Gallo/Haniger/whomever could still very well be on his mind - you and i will just never see it coming until it happens.

That said, if THIS is indeed the offense we roll with to start the season, then I will be very disappointed in AA. Very.

Malachore likes this

23 minutes ago, ATL Fan in the DMV said:

If AA were being completely unabashedly honest with us, I'd HAVE to think that he is not happy with this offense going into the season as is currently constructed and knows he has to get some big WAR upgrades somehow. He volunteered information saying that our offense from the second half and playoffs won't cut it, and the only things we've done so far are 1) bring back a former MVP-level player that is now older and has been injured recently [albeit he can be a HUGE boon if healthy] 2) signed BMac to replace Suzuki - which while a nice homecoming, will probably net us less WAR than Suzuki did [not that I want Suzuki back even if available] and 3) signed a year-older 35 Markakis who had a career year buoyed by a fantastic first half and sub-replacement second half possibly due to fatigue, age-related decline, and just overall he-hasn't-been-good-in several-years-outside-of-OBP. Sure, Albies, Acuna, and ever-mercurial Swanson could all take steps forward, but that's a lot of IF's to be counting on when we should now be primed to make some noise in the playoffs.

That's why I believe a trade for a Gallo/Haniger/whomever could still very well be on his mind - you and i will just never see it coming until it happens.

That said, if THIS is indeed the offense we roll with to start the season, then I will be very disappointed in AA. Very.

I disagree about your thoughts for catcher. I think Flow/B-Mac will be better than Flow/Suzuki.

1 hour ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I disagree about your thoughts for catcher. I think Flow/B-Mac will be better than Flow/Suzuki.

I can respect that, but what leads you to that opinion?

KC extends Whit Merrifield for 4 years, $16.25M. Merrifield will enter arbitration in 2020 so this assures KC they can keep his salary low. Merrifield is a late bloomer at 30 and this guarantees him at least 1 significant deal.

Again, take it for what it's worth... but from what I'm getting the Braves have upped their offer on Realmuto. It's between the Braves and the Padres right now.

Malachore likes this

18 hours ago, ATL Fan in the DMV said:

I can respect that, but what leads you to that opinion?

McCann's defense is better than Suzuki's and it's not even close. Also, McCann hit fairly well in his late season return to the Astros last year after his knee injury. I think with regular rest his offense will be better than it has been the last couple of years. He still hits for power against RHP. Flowers absolutely crushes LHP. I think it will be a good combination.

But all of this is moot if the Braves land Realmuto.

1 hour ago, K26dp said:

Again, take it for what it's worth... but from what I'm getting the Braves have upped their offer on Realmuto. It's between the Braves and the Padres right now.

If the Braves trade Austin RIley for J.T. Realmuto I'm gonna be so pissed!!!

ATL Fan in the DMV likes this

3 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

McCann's defense is better than Suzuki's and it's not even close. Also, McCann hit fairly well in his late season return to the Astros last year after his knee injury. I think with regular rest his offense will be better than it has been the last couple of years. He still hits for power against RHP. Flowers absolutely crushes LHP. I think it will be a good combination.

But all of this is moot if the Braves land Realmuto.

I definitely agree with you about their defense..Suzuki didnt offer much there. This is where BMac can certainly best him. Offensively, BMac will need to have some kind of resurgence to beat out Suzuki there - he hasn't slugged better against Righties than Suzuki in three years. But I'm eager to see what regular rest and further removal from the knee injury can do. I think we both agree neither catcher will be Realmuto back there offensively with their age-related declines sure to further impact them.

If we get Realmuto, it will all be moot indeed as FlowMac will get cede playing time to him.

1 hour ago, K26dp said:

And what makes u believe we have upped our offer?

Assuming we get Realmuto, our starting lineup and remaining team control looks like this (age is at end of contract/team control):

Acuna - LF (Age 25, Through 2023 ARB 3)

Donaldson - 3B (Age 34, Through 2020)

Freeman - 1B (Age 32, Through 2022)

Realmuto - C (Age 29, Through 2020)

Albies - 2B (Age 26, Through 2023 ARB 3)

Markakis - RF (Age 35, Through 2020*) - Club Option for 2020-2021 season

Swanson - SS (Age 28, Through 2022 ARB 3)

inciarte - CF (Age 32, Through 2023)

55 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

If the Braves trade Austin RIley for J.T. Realmuto I'm gonna be so pissed!!!

He's not currently in it. But it's still a substantial offer. If the Marlins want the best offer they'll take it. If they are more worried about Realmuto being in the division, the dude will go to San Diego.

Also, from what I understand it's not the Marlins that wouldn't let the Padres discuss a pre-trade extension, Realmuto but the kabosh on that, which make a lot more sense.

48 minutes ago, TRUju2111 said:

And what makes u believe we have upped our offer?

#sources

Malachore and Falconsfan567 like this

5 hours ago, K26dp said:

He's not currently in it. But it's still a substantial offer. If the Marlins want the best offer they'll take it. If they are more worried about Realmuto being in the division, the dude will go to San Diego.

Also, from what I understand it's not the Marlins that wouldn't let the Padres discuss a pre-trade extension, Realmuto but the kabosh on that, which make a lot more sense.

#sources

Doesn't look like it's going to happen so your sources are as good as mine hahahahah

K26dp likes this

7 minutes ago, TRUju2111 said:

Doesn't look like it's going to happen so your sources are as good as mine hahahahah

He has a pretty decent blog on baseball so I think he knows someone. 

1 hour ago, tl;dr said:

Harper meeting with the Padres. The Padres getting Machado, Harper, and maybe even Realmuto would be crazy. All 12 fans who show up to the games would be excited. 

Until Preller trades them next winter.

tl;dr likes this

2 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Indians are unhappy with the Kluber offers and are expected to keep him.

They wanted a Chris Sale haul, but Kluber is older and more expensive than Sale was.