Unknøwn

MLB Offseason

1,485 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, K26dp said:

I think this is the answer. O'Day replaces Brach. If there's another added bullpen piece it will be someone with a different skill-set.

Yeah, good point about O'Day and Brach being the same type of pitchers. Those ground ball guys GIDP guys to get out of jams. Bobby Cox always had 1 or 2 guys like that in the bullpen. Guys like Greg McMichael, Mike Cather, and Kevin Gryboski come to mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

The only issue with Nick Markakis in his time with the Braves is that he has been hitting cleanup for most of it when he should be hitting either 2nd and using his great OBP to his advantage or down in the 6th spot being a 2nd type clean up hitter.

So maybe you would say: Acuna-Markakis-Freddie-Donaldson? I would be open to that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

So maybe you would say: Acuna-Markakis-Freddie-Donaldson? I would be open to that. 

Yeah. If I had my way it would be

  1. Acuna
  2. Markakis
  3. Freddie
  4. Donaldson
  5. Ozzie
  6. Dansby
  7. Flow/B-Mac
  8. Ender
ATL Fan in the DMV and tl;dr like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Yeah. If I had my way it would be

  1. Acuna
  2. Markakis
  3. Freddie
  4. Donaldson
  5. Ozzie
  6. Dansby
  7. Flow/B-Mac
  8. Ender

I would be so incredibly down with that. Send it to Snit ASAP!

Falconsfan567 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just think this team needs Realmuto after that Markakis signing. After the first 4 hitters there isn't much to trust.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Just think this team needs Realmuto after that Markakis signing. After the first 4 hitters there isn't much to trust.

I think we're still in the OF market.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, K26dp said:

I think we're still in the OF market.

So you don't believe AA when he says Nick is the everyday RFer or do you think they are looking to upgrade Ender?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Malachore said:

So you don't believe AA when he says Nick is the everyday RFer or do you think they are looking to upgrade Ender?

I believe AA when he says Nick is currently the everyday RF. That doesn't mean that may not change in the future.

As for Ender, I think he'll be on the team. But there is a league-wide dearth of quality defensive centerfielders and the Braves have two on the roster right now and two more in the minors that could be ready within 18 months. Ender is too valuable a trade piece right now not to at least entertain using him as the centerpiece of a trade.

For what it's worth, from what I understand Markakis was explicitly told that playing time would not be guaranteed and he understood that his role could be as a bench reserve.

Malachore and falconsd56 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would equate it to the McCann signing. Perfectly fine rolling into the season with them as significant pieces if the right upgrades can’t be made (at the right price).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, K26dp said:

I believe AA when he says Nick is currently the everyday RF. That doesn't mean that may not change in the future.

As for Ender, I think he'll be on the team. But there is a league-wide dearth of quality defensive centerfielders and the Braves have two on the roster right now and two more in the minors that could be ready within 18 months. Ender is too valuable a trade piece right now not to at least entertain using him as the centerpiece of a trade.

For what it's worth, from what I understand Markakis was explicitly told that playing time would not be guaranteed and he understood that his role could be as a bench reserve.

I really, really hope this is true. If so, it just means what AA has said publicly regarding Nick being everyday OF is GM speak and posturing so as not to weaken his position. Makes a lot more sense if he is still looking at bona fide starting RFs like Harper - which I am starting to believe is becoming more of a real possibility (or perhaps inevitability) by the day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, ATL Fan in the DMV said:

I really, really hope this is true. If so, it just means what AA has said publicly regarding Nick being everyday OF is GM speak and posturing so as not to weaken his position. Makes a lot more sense if he is still looking at bona fide starting RFs like Harper - which I am starting to believe is becoming more of a real possibility (or perhaps inevitability) by the day. 

Markakis pretty much said he doesnt want to play every game. He wants the bulk but not all. He admitted his push to play in all 162 hurt him cause he fatigued himself and wasnt the same. Markakis stated he'll do whatever takes to push the Braves over the hump after being here for the rebuild

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hearing Kimbrel will probably sign before the end of the weekend. I also hear the Braves have made an offer, but as AA says it's not "big, elite dollars".

ATLBrave likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've read that quote a few times. IMO, he's talking about length, not AAV. Can still be "big, elite dollars" even if it's not over 5-6 years.

K26dp likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah. Parsing AA-speak is fun. 

Ya'll take this for what its worth, but the Braves have been heavily engaged on multiple fronts over the last three days. Doesn't mean anything will happen, but ****'s about to get real.

ATLBrave and Malachore like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Anthopolous and the recent reports are just saying we make fair offers. AA looks at the market, makes a fair offer and you accept it or you dont. We know he never budged on Markakis. He made one offer and it was up to Nick to accept. If Kimbrel wants to come home he can but he wont get the mega deal he wants.

Falconsfan567, K26dp and ATLBrave like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

I think Anthopolous and the recent reports are just saying we make fair offers. AA looks at the market, makes a fair offer and you accept it or you dont. We know he never budged on Markakis. He made one offer and it was up to Nick to accept. If Kimbrel wants to come home he can but he wont get the mega deal he wants.

 I just think that comes off as low balling because only vets like Nick are going to accept those kind of offers. I doubt we had much competition to sign him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Malachore said:

 I just think that comes off as low balling because only vets like Nick are going to accept those kind of offers. I doubt we had much competition to sign him.

Markakis had a two-year guaranteed offer for a good chunk more sitting on his table and a starting OF job if he wanted it. He chose to take a significant underpay to return to Atlanta. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, K26dp said:

Markakis had a two-year guaranteed offer for a good chunk more sitting on his table and a starting OF job if he wanted it. He chose to take a significant underpay to return to Atlanta. 

Yes but with the Marlins, we all know he isn't going to do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Malachore said:

Yes but with the Marlins, we all know he isn't going to do that.

I dunno, he did it when the Braves started their tank job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now