Unkn0wn

MLB Offseason

1,022 posts in this topic

Adam Ottavino to the Yankees. 

Expected to be in the 3-year, $25m range. He had an outstanding season last year, but that’s a good chunk of change for a 33-year old reliever. 

Heyman reporting the dollar figure to be $27m.

23 minutes ago, ATLBrave said:

Adam Ottavino to the Yankees. 

Expected to be in the 3-year, $25m range. He had an outstanding season last year, but that’s a good chunk of change for a 33-year old reliever. 

Heyman reporting the dollar figure to be $27m.

Less than $10M a year is a bargain. He's from New York City, looks like he took a little bit of a hometown discount.

Also, if they can stay healthy the Yankees are putting together possibly the greatest top-to-bottom bullpen of all time.

Chapman
Betances
Britton
Ottavino
Green
Hahnle

And as of right now, Sonny Gray as a swingman.

18 minutes ago, K26dp said:

Less than $10M a year is a bargain. He's from New York City, looks like he took a little bit of a hometown discount.

Also, if they can stay healthy the Yankees are putting together possibly the greatest top-to-bottom bullpen of all time.

Chapman
Betances
Britton
Ottavino
Green
Hahnle

And as of right now, Sonny Gray as a swingman.

Meh. I'm not sure 2018 wasn't a huge outlier for him. Easily his best season in a walk-year. I'm just leery of giving older relievers long-term deals with a lack of consistent track record of success. 

Just now, Unkn0wn said:

Braves were recently connected with Gray.

Yep. If a bullpen piece like Holder or Kahnle were involved, the Braves would be an obvious choice.

The Yankees are reportedly more interested in Nolan Arenado at 3B. They've kept in touch with Machado but they prefer to make a trade.

On 1/19/2019 at 8:56 AM, Unkn0wn said:

The Yankees are reportedly more interested in Nolan Arenado at 3B. They've kept in touch with Machado but they prefer to make a trade.

JFC I hate the ******* Yankees more than anything on this earth....

According to Ken Rosenthal the Reds have till the end of today to sign Gray. Otherwise they'll need to rework the deal if they're still interested. 

Reds get Gray, agreed to a  3 year $30.5M extension.

Yankees get Shed Long and a sandwich draft pick.

Yankees then trade Long to Seattle for Josh Stowers.

The Reds also picked up minor league left-handed reliever Reiver Sanmartin, who was a 2017 draft pick and has a major league trajectory. So Gray for essentially 4Y/39M and Sanmartin for Long and the pick. That's a pretty decent pick-up for Cincinnati, especially if Gray comes anywhere close to returning to form.

Falconsfan567 likes this

I really like what the Texas Rangers have done. They know they're not gonna contend this year so they've taken on signing a bunch of guys that if they perform well they can be big trade deadline chips. Good strategy.

Edgar Martinez, Mike Mussina, Mariano Rivera, and Doc Halladay are in the Hall of Fame. Rivera is the first unanimous selection.

K26dp likes this

6 minutes ago, jidady said:

Edgar Martinez, Mike Mussina, Mariano Rivera, and Doc Halladay are in the Hall of Fame. Rivera is the first unanimous selection.

Tell me playing for the Yankees doesn't matter. Hilarious that Rivera is the first unanimous selection.

jeffro2000 likes this

3 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

But I remember a specific individual left Maddux off because he played in the PED era.

I remember that but don't remember who it was.