Unkn0wn

MLB Offseason

713 posts in this topic

Mookie Betts and the Red Sox settle at a $20M figure, avoiding arbitration. That sets a record for players with less than 5 years service time.

2 hours ago, ATLBrave said:

Dodgers have traded for Russell Martin. No word on the particulars. 

All of the reported interested teams in Realmuto -- Braves, Mets, Phillies, Nationals, Astros, Brewers, Dodgers, Rays, Yankees, Padres, Reds -- have their catching situations in place for 2019 without him. Not saying one of these teams couldn't still add him, but the Marlins have officially now overplayed their hands. Completely.

jidady likes this

27 minutes ago, K26dp said:

All of the reported interested teams in Realmuto -- Braves, Mets, Phillies, Nationals, Astros, Brewers, Dodgers, Rays, Yankees, Padres, Reds -- have their catching situations in place for 2019 without him. Not saying one of these teams couldn't still add him, but the Marlins have officially now overplayed their hands. Completely.

I had a feeling this would happen. Pretty much guaranteed it would happen. I can't remember the example I used but I had a feeling it would turn out the exact same way.

SI's indicated that the Braves and Marlins are talking again. My suspicion is that this is Jeter trying to leak a BS rumor again.

4 hours ago, jidady said:

SI's indicated that the Braves and Marlins are talking again. My suspicion is that this is Jeter trying to leak a BS rumor again.

Probably that Craig Mish guy again. He's the only one that is saying that. No one else is saying it.

This really has been a slow FA... feels slower than usual, but what do I know? I could be wrong. 

38 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

This really has been a slow FA... feels slower than usual, but what do I know? I could be wrong. 

Last year was slower I think.

tl;dr likes this

1 hour ago, tl;dr said:

This is the new normal. I don't ever see it going back to the old days of teams wildly throwing money around and making massive trades. There's just too much knowledge and discipline these days.

ATL Fan in the DMV and tl;dr like this

Phillies had a 5 hour meeting with Harper. They are now believed to be the strong leader for his services. 

Billy Beane and the A's key officials are meeting with Kyler Murray today to try to keep him. Murray is not interested in playing two sports and is said to be leaning toward the NFL now. Speculation is Murray will only pick the A's if they guarantee more money. Murray got $4.6M originally.  The language of the original deal only requires him to pay part of it back if he picks the NFL. Murray is projected to be a big time prospect but you can see why he would change his mind. He can have a life in minor league baseball for at least a couple of years or be the potential #1 overall selection in the NFL. 

5 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

Billy Beane and the A's key officials are meeting with Kyler Murray today to try to keep him. Murray is not interested in playing two sports and is said to be leaning toward the NFL now. Speculation is Murray will only pick the A's if they guarantee more money. Murray got $4.6M originally.  The language of the original deal only requires him to pay part of it back if he picks the NFL. Murray is projected to be a big time prospect but you can see why he would change his mind. He can have a life in minor league baseball for at least a couple of years or be the potential #1 overall selection in the NFL. 

I think Kyler Murray is making a major mistake by even entertaining the NFL. I don't see him as a franchise NFL QB. He's not Russell Wilson.

Malachore likes this

42 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I think Kyler Murray is making a major mistake by even entertaining the NFL. I don't see him as a franchise NFL QB. He's not Russell Wilson.

Nobody thought Russell Wilson would be Russell Wilson either. Murray very well could be a good starting QB. And those guys get paid very well. 

Wilson was the 6th QB drafted in his class. Even his coach at NC State told him he wasn't NFL material. That's when he went to Wisconsin. Murray will likely be a first round pick, make millions and if it doesnt work he can go back to baseball still in his 20s. If he bombs in the minors he tops at $4.6M.

His reported ask to remain an Athletic is $15M.

1 hour ago, Falconsfan567 said:

All it takes is for one an starved team to think that he is......qbs have been getting over drafted for years..so even is not....he really is.

There are at least 5 teams in the top 15 that need qbs

58 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Nobody thought Russell Wilson would be Russell Wilson either. Murray very well could be a good starting QB. And those guys get paid very well. 

He's not Russell Wilson. But if he is it wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong.

Malachore likes this

23 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

All it takes is for one an starved team to think that he is......qbs have been getting over drafted for years..so even is not....he really is.

There are at least 5 teams in the top 15 that need qbs

The reason he's going is because the Cardinals have Kliff Kingsbury and Kliff loves him some Kyler Murray, so even though they just drafted Josh Rosen last year, Murray to the Cardinals for the #1 pick is gonna happen. I understand why he's doing it, that #1 pick sets his family up for life regardless of what the outcome is.

5 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

The reason he's going is because the Cardinals have Kliff Kingsbury and Kliff loves him some Kyler Murray, so even though they just drafted Josh Rosen last year, Murray to the Cardinals for the #1 pick is gonna happen. I understand why he's doing it, that #1 pick sets his family up for life regardless of what the outcome is.

That  would be interesting......I am not sure that the cards front office would do that though consider it they traded up to get Rosen......but then again they did just fire their head coach after one year so who knows

30 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

That  would be interesting......I am not sure that the cards front office would do that though consider it they traded up to get Rosen......but then again they did just fire their head coach after one year so who knows

Oh it will happen. Only reason the Cardinals hired Kingsbury is because they want him to do to Kyler Murray what he did to Patrick Mahomes. What they're banking on is that Kingsbury's offense will work in the NFL. I'm not convinced that it will because I have no proof that an air raid offense is capable of winning in the NFL, even though the rules are setup for it to be successful more than ever before with all the rules against defenses. Kingsbury said if he could pick any QB with the #1 pick it would be Murray. He has a major love affair with Murray and it's pretty much assumed that's the only reason he got the job.

1 minute ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Oh it will happen. Only reason the Cardinals hired Kingsbury is because they want him to do to Kyler Murray what he did to Patrick Mahomes. What they're banking on is that Kingsbury's offense will work in the NFL. I'm not convinced that it will because I have no proof that an air raid offense is capable of winning in the NFL, even though the rules are setup for it to be successful more than ever with all the rules against defenses. Kingsbury said if he could pick any QB with the #1 pick it would be Murray. He has a major love affair with Murray and it's pretty much assumed that's the only reason he got the job.

That would be interesting........then I wonder if they could flip Rosen for a 1st round pick

MLB is deciding whether to approve an MLB deal for Murray. Would get him more money and a 40 man roster spot. Oakland really wants him.