Unkn0wn

MLB Offseason

1,001 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Why? Goldy is a free agent after the 2019 season and Freddie isn't a free agent until after the 2021 season. Freddie is also 2 years younger. There's not a big enough difference between the two to want me to make that move.

I'm just talking talent for talent, I wasn't taking his contract into account. I feel like Goldy is a better player.

4 minutes ago, Malachore said:

I'm just talking talent for talent, I wasn't taking his contract into account. I feel like Goldy is a better player.

Yes, Goldy is the better player, but it's not by much.

1 minute ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Yes, Goldy is the better player, but it's not by much.

Freeman's loss of power in the 2nd half concerns me. I just want to see some more power out of him (I know he hit 44 doubles).

2 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Freeman's loss of power in the 2nd half concerns me. I just want to see some more power out of him (I know he hit 44 doubles).

The only reason it doesn't concern me is because Freeman was still hitting. If he had just stopped hitting period it would have been a concern for me. Even with his drop off in homeruns in the second half of the season he still slugged over .500 and nearly had a .900 OPS. Freeman is such a line drive hitter and uses his top hand so much in his swing that he's going to have stretches where he's hitting the ball with too much top spin to hit a lot of homeruns and that is all that happened with him in the second half of the season.

Malachore likes this

2 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Markakis also fell back to earth after the break. Probably led to pitchers being more careful to Freddie knowing the guy behind him was hitting .258 with little power.

Freddie developed a slight hitch in his swing over the second half. He was pulling his hands back as his was starting to fire his hips. This led him to be late on fastballs. Notice how often he "beat the shift" in the second half by grounding to the left side? That was just an indication that he wasn't getting around on pitches like he had been.

It was clear he was aware of it and sometimes it would lessen or disappear for a swing or two, but it would come back. Hopefully he gets it ironed out in the offseason.

Mets players voted Jose Reyes their Marvin Miller Man of the Year candidate. Reyes being a convicted wife beater and all its drawing a lot of attention 

27 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

Mets players voted Jose Reyes their Marvin Miller Man of the Year candidate. Reyes being a convicted wife beater and all its drawing a lot of attention 

Well it is a man of the YEAR award...

58 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

He might be donating to charity and all that but I have zero respect for a man who throws his wife through a glass door

Oh definitely,  don't get it wrong.  Im right there with ya. Any man who puts his hands on a woman is no man at all. 

Dirty South Bird likes this

1 hour ago, Unkn0wn said:

Angels are giving manager candidates a 2 hour written exam. The exam covers analytics, interpersonal and game management.

micromanagement at it's finest...

4 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Angels are giving manager candidates a 2 hour written exam. The exam covers analytics, interpersonal and game management.

3 hours ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

micromanagement at it's finest...

I think it's a terrific idea!! If I'm hiring a manager I want to know what he's going to do in specific situations. I want to know how he's going to evaluate players.

ATL Fan in the DMV likes this

4 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

Yeah, I think it's becoming a thing. I'm in management and my employer required a written exam as well as the interview during evaluation. 

When I got hired as a bank teller a few years ago I had to take a written exam in addition to the interview. Many jobs I've applied for required an exam of some type.

We require anyone looking to interview at my firm to take a 30-minute skills test on the applications and software that we require applicants to be proficient in. We got burned too often taking people at their word they know stuff they say they do on their resumes.

Falconsfan567 likes this

Pirates prospect Ji-hwan Bae has been found guilty by a South Korean court of assaulting his former girlfriend. 

Bae was one of 13 international prospects signed by Atlanta and then made free agents by MLB in the wake of an investigation into the team's skirting of signing rules. In Bae's case, the Braves reportedly agreed to play him considerably more money under the table than the $300,000 he officially agreed to. 

Angels opted out of their lease. They'll attempt to negotiate a new one with Anaheim but are willing to explore sites in LA, Carson and Irvine. Carson is where the NFL went.

1 hour ago, Unkn0wn said:

Angels opted out of their lease. They'll attempt to negotiate a new one with Anaheim but are willing to explore sites in LA, Carson and Irvine. Carson is where the NFL went.

Interesting.

45 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

Jeter finally did something right. The Marlins are removing the HR sculpture in the OF. 

Yeah. I was surprised that wasn't done before this season started because when he first took over it was announced that he wanted to get rid of it. Going to look weird with just a big empty space if they don't put something else out there.