JT

Maybe it’s just me but I believe there’s serious overreaction about our o-line!

54 posts in this topic

This message board typically overreacts and I do too at times but all these post about our o line needing to be fixed is odd to me. 

I get it! Last game vs the Steelers the o line was absolutely horrible but prior to that the past 3 games they were good enough to help the offense drop 30 plus points each week....They’ve given Matt Ryan enough time to make big plays plenty so far.

one bad game Vs the Steelers where the team clearly wasn’t expecting so much blitzing all game shouldn’t make us believe this o line can’t get the job done.

and if I’m not mistaking this same o line has been in the top 5 for pff grades the past two years if that means anything to you.

To me...This line seems to get the job done more times than not and I don’t see a reason dimitrioff should invest even more money into the offense side of the ball when 9 times out of 10 they are already good enough.

Instead of worrying about the o line the focus should be on defensive depth next off season. I do not believe the offensive lineman should make any huge changes whatsoever 

KCFalcon22 and falcndave like this

Totally agree. 1 data point of 5 says the OL is an issue. Recency bias is human nature. The first game where we don't give up a ton of pressure, it will be a forgotten topic here.

Btw, several of the sacks it was really the RB that caused the sack (helping in the wrong spot). On the first sack, Coleman was helping on a well block middle blitzer, and never even saw the free runner coming off the edge. 

Vandy, KCFalcon22 and Atl Falcon like this

false , saints were pressuring ryan as well as Bengals. Falcons could not run , yall gotta stop with this blind faith bs, always thinking something is alright, OLine sucked the past few weeks. Enough with the d*mn  excuses

Edited by caponine

57 minutes ago, JT said:

This message board typically overreacts and I do too at times but all these post about our o line needing to be fixed is odd to me. 

I get it! Last game vs the Steelers the o line was absolutely horrible but prior to that the past 3 games they were good enough to help the offense drop 30 plus points each week....They’ve given Matt Ryan enough time to make big plays plenty so far.

one bad game Vs the Steelers where the team clearly wasn’t expecting so much blitzing all game shouldn’t make us believe this o line can’t get the job done.

and if I’m not mistaking this same o line has been in the top 5 for pff grades the past two years if that means anything to you.

To me...This line seems to get the job done more times than not and I don’t see a reason dimitrioff should invest even more money into the offense side of the ball when 9 times out of 10 they are already good enough.

Instead of worrying about the o line the focus should be on defensive depth next off season. I do not believe the offensive lineman should make any huge changes whatsoever 

How many games have they been able to run the ball?  One out of 5?

Sure they’ve been decent but that was in the past.

Schrader looks like he’s coming to the of the line.

Thats the thing about the oline.  You don’t want to address it when it’s too late and 2013 hopefully taught the front office you just don’t cut your starters without having the new guys win the job.

The oline is on pace to give up more sacks than  2013.

They need to retool the oline and start making plans for Mack’s and Schraders replacement.

I am not satisfied with the run blocking. We are no different than any other team, we need to run the ball. We have good backs so it should be fairly straight forward but they are getting blown up in their own backfield about half the time. Something is wrong.

rounz and PokerSteve like this

I think we have severe weak points on our oline that good fronts have exposed, and we definitely cant block a blitz. Overall they have played decent to good in some games but that's just masking how bad the guards and specifically RT has been

16 minutes ago, since68andcounting said:

We just suck against the 3-4. Always have.

I believe this may have been the biggest issue with the protection scheme sunday.  They even said, they haven't gone against too many 3-4 defenses and it causes confusion because they don't always know who to block because the outside LBers are essentially causing them to guess which side the rush is coming from.  From the POV besides this game, I feel this season is still salvageable because we have only shown 1 game where it was over early.  I have faith we will be able to get this going next week against TB, we'll be at home, on turf, against a division opponent, and facing elimination in the face.  We will do well this week, I just know it. I can see all three WRs going over 100 yards if the offense gets into a shoot out.  The pressure allowed by PIT prevented MR from putting up his usual numbers this year.  We still have not been turning the ball over like last year which is a plus, but I feel week 5 was the exception rather than the rule.  ATL WILL lay the wood this week, putting up 40 points against TB and getting some confidence back against the BUCS to get this streak going and back in the wins column over the next 4 or 5 weeks.

I actually agree to an extent. It’s not a dumpster fire. I wouldn’t call it below average either. It’s good enough despite showing signs of regression.

51 minutes ago, caponine said:

false , saints were pressuring ryan as well as Bengals. Falcons could not run , yall gotta stop with this blind faith bs, always thinking something is alright, OLine sucked the past few weeks. Enough with the d*mn  excuses

always something other than ryan playcalling and dan quinn carry on

Eagles and Steelers games were dumpster fires. On a fast field at home or in dome stadiums our OL's strength; their mobility, is highlighted.

Both games in Pennsylvania were on soggy field that had just had rain that same day.

Vandy likes this

3 hours ago, JT said:

Okay, gotcha, but that one week slippage, sent MR2 fir xrays...would you have the same position if that magnificent oline caused MR to miss the rest of the season?! Yep, overreacting is what we do!

4 hours ago, JT said:

If they were good enough our above average RB's wouldn't regularly turn a >3ypc average. We should have a back with 65-85 yds rushing on 13-15 carries almost every game...but we don't. Half the time they can barely get back line.

Also Matt can't step into ANY deep throw to Julio Bc Mack or Schweitzy poo are standing on his left foot. Nah bro, there mediocre at best. Did you not see where set to break Matts record for sacks?

rounz and PokerSteve like this

The OL didn't look good in pass pro when the Falcons were putting up 35.  So it's not just that they got destroyed last week, it's that Ryan was throwing from muddled pockets, unable to step up for most throws that took any time to develop.

They're not horrid, but they're not a top pass blocking unit, or even above average.

PokerSteve, vitaman, rounz and 1 other like this

The o line has struggled most of the season. Ryan has masked some of that but this group always gets bullied by more physical groups. Always. It’s worse when we can’t run the ball for whatever reason.

@JD dirtybird21, I noticed the exact same thing on the snap count... I feel like that’s been an issue for some time  

rounz and JD dirtybird21 like this

2 minutes ago, Butudontseeme™ said:

The o line has struggled most of the season. Ryan has masked some of that but this group always gets bullied by more physical groups. Always. It’s worse when we can’t run the ball for whatever reason.

@JD dirtybird21, I noticed the exact same thing on the snap count... I feel like that’s been an issue for some time  

For sure. Blocked punts, too close for comfort on blocked kicks, and guys jumping the line when Ryan snaps the ball. That says a lot about poor coaching and game planning 

1 minute ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

For sure. Blocked punts, too close for comfort on blocked kicks, and guys jumping the line when Ryan snaps the ball. That says a lot about poor coaching and game planning 

I think that’s something Ryan should be able to adjust on the field, if the other team has the snap count down. Of course once it gets so loud (you know, when the home team is up by 20) there’s not much you can do with snap count. Maybe I’m missing it, but I rarely see Ryan hard count. 

VTCrunkler and JD dirtybird21 like this