Ransack

2018/2019 Braves Offseason Thread

2,164 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Depends on who the player is. Craig Kimbrel? Yes. Dallas Keuchel? No.

 Well yeah I mean a player that would be an obvious upgrade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Depends on who the player is. Craig Kimbrel? Yes. Dallas Keuchel? No.

And it doesn't sound like Kimbrel only wants 3 years. 

Falconsfan567 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, K26dp said:

And it doesn't sound like Kimbrel only wants 3 years. 

Yep. And Braves are smart not to go beyond 3 years for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Yep. And Braves are smart not to go beyond 3 years for him.

See im the opposite on this i would be pretty pissed off if we went anything under 3 years but anything 3 to 5 and im pretty happy with it.  I wouldn't want to give up a top 60 value pick for a closer for 1 or 2 years on years.  If i felt strongly about the team being 100% ready to go to the WS and only 1 big piece away from doing it i would be more ok with it but i feel we still need to build the roster more and have a few young pieces show their ready.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

See im the opposite on this i would be pretty pissed off if we went anything under 3 years but anything 3 to 5 and im pretty happy with it.  I wouldn't want to give up a top 60 value pick for a closer for 1 or 2 years on years.  If i felt strongly about the team being 100% ready to go to the WS and only 1 big piece away from doing it i would be more ok with it but i feel we still need to build the roster more and have a few young pieces show their ready.

Teams have been reluctant to go long term because of his rising walk numbers. Hes still a great closer but will he be in 5 or 6 years? That's what you have to ask. We're talking about a guy who wants $15-18M a year. His velocity has already started to dip a little bit. His swing and miss rate was also dropping last year as a result. MLB.com had a good article on this prior to the start of FA. Their stats had Kimbrel in the zone just 43% of the time in 2018. Which led to his highest walk total since his first full season in MLB. Hes a great closer and I'd take him but not for more than 3 years and maybe even just 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Malachore said:

idk if it comes dow to giving him 4 years and having him and 3 years and not then you go that extra year.

I'd do 3 with an option. Even a vesting option of some kind could be worked out.

Malachore, jidady, Drew4719 and 1 other like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Teams have been reluctant to go long term because of his rising walk numbers. Hes still a great closer but will he be in 5 or 6 years? That's what you have to ask. We're talking about a guy who wants $15-18M a year. His velocity has already started to dip a little bit. His swing and miss rate was also dropping last year as a result. MLB.com had a good article on this prior to the start of FA. Their stats had Kimbrel in the zone just 43% of the time in 2018. Which led to his highest walk total since his first full season in MLB. Hes a great closer and I'd take him but not for more than 3 years and maybe even just 2.

If it was just 2 years then just do a hard pass on him and keep the pick at that point no reason to waste a early round pick on a guy making that kind of money you have worries about for a team thats not really ready to make that final push yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

See im the opposite on this i would be pretty pissed off if we went anything under 3 years but anything 3 to 5 and im pretty happy with it.  I wouldn't want to give up a top 60 value pick for a closer for 1 or 2 years on years.  If i felt strongly about the team being 100% ready to go to the WS and only 1 big piece away from doing it i would be more ok with it but i feel we still need to build the roster more and have a few young pieces show their ready.

The thing about signing Kimbrel for 3-5 years is that he turns 31 in May and is coming off what could be considered the worst season of his career. He's still amazing but he's not what he was even just 2 years ago. If you sign him for 3-5 years you're talking about being on the hook for major money for a guy into his mid 30s. Closers tend to be very volital, meaning that that they typically go from shutdown to complete toast overnight. There's really no steady decline with these guys it's all and then nothing.

Also, you clearly think the Braves are still at least 3 years away from having a legit shot at winning the World Series and I completely disagree. I think they're a whole lot closer than you or anyone else realizes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Falconsfan567 said:

The thing about signing Kimbrel for 3-5 years is that he turns 31 in May and is coming off what could be considered the worst season of his career. He's still amazing but he's not what he was even just 2 years ago. If you sign him for 3-5 years you're talking about being on the hook for major money for a guy into his mid 30s. Closers tend to be very volital, meaning that that they typically go from shutdown to complete toast overnight. There's really no steady decline with these guys it's all and then nothing.

Also, you clearly think the Braves are still at least 3 years away from having a legit shot at winning the World Series and I completely disagree. I think they're a whole lot closer than you or anyone else realizes.

I would say 2 to 3 away yes so we disagree on that and after watching the entire season last year their was very little to make me change my mind on that.  We would need alot more to go right than last year had to do it and have pretty much everyone we have take a step forward with Cakes having an entire year like his 1st half last year and Donaldson to be healthy 90% of the year and have a year like his really good ones.  Then i would say atleast 2 to 3 of our pitchers need to take another step in becoming a legit #1, 2, and 3 option.  If all of those things happen then we could for sure make some noise in the playoffs.  But thats asking alot from a team thats so young and i don't think it's fair to expect them all to guarantee do that.  I would love for them to and want them too but im not gonna demand it nor expect it from them so i won't get mad if they don't do that and start trashing our players like some people do. 

I do actually understand the reasoning not to want to give him a 3 year+ contract but at that point if it was only for 2 years then just don't do it at all if you don't think he can be the closer for the long term in my opinion.  I would rather save that 15 to 20 mil and put it toward a younger player at a different position then for a 5+ year contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

I would say 2 to 3 away yes so we disagree on that and after watching the entire season last year their was very little to make me change my mind on that.  We would need alot more to go right than last year had to do it and have pretty much everyone we have take a step forward with Cakes having an entire year like his 1st half last year and Donaldson to be healthy 90% of the year and have a year like his really good ones.  Then i would say atleast 2 to 3 of our pitchers need to take another step in becoming a legit #1, 2, and 3 option.  If all of those things happen then we could for sure make some noise in the playoffs.  But thats asking alot from a team thats so young and i don't think it's fair to expect them all to guarantee do that.  I would love for them to and want them too but im not gonna demand it nor expect it from them so i won't get mad if they don't do that and start trashing our players like some people do. 

I do actually understand the reasoning not to want to give him a 3 year+ contract but at that point if it was only for 2 years then just don't do it at all if you don't think he can be the closer for the long term in my opinion.  I would rather save that 15 to 20 mil and put it toward a younger player at a different position then for a 5+ year contract.

But that's the thing, those guys typically don't get the chance to reach free agency. The system is just not setup in a way to allow guys to reach free agency in their prime years like Machado and Harper. Free agency is setup as a major disadvantage for the players with them typically not being able to be free agents until the 29-31 age range. It's why you see so many extensions from guys like Nolan Arenado, Paul Goldschmidt, and Mike Trout who were all set to become free agents. They realize that it's extremely hard to get a major deal so they rather sign an extension instead of fighting with free agency. Trout said just that. He said he talked to Machado and Harper and signed his extension based on what happened with them not getting deals until March. Braves have money to spend right now so spend it to make the team better. The Royals had a very, very, average rotation in 2015 and their offense was middle of the pack at best (last in homeruns) but they won the World Series because of their bullpen. Braves with an entirely healthy bullpen and Kimbrel would have that kind of bullpen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

See im the opposite on this i would be pretty pissed off if we went anything under 3 years but anything 3 to 5 and im pretty happy with it.  I wouldn't want to give up a top 60 value pick for a closer for 1 or 2 years on years.  If i felt strongly about the team being 100% ready to go to the WS and only 1 big piece away from doing it i would be more ok with it but i feel we still need to build the roster more and have a few young pieces show their ready.

I think 3 years is the sweet spot. Or 3 with an option. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, K26dp said:

I think 3 years is the sweet spot. Or 3 with an option. 

3 years with a 4th year team option is perfectly fine by me and one i would be all on board for.  It gives us long enough to continue to build the team and for our young guys to get some more experience and time in.  Plus gives us 1 or 2 more good FA's to go after some people who can help. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now