Ransack

2018/2019 Braves Offseason Thread

2,164 posts in this topic

Julio does get a lot more hate than he probably warrants, but if you are constantly walking guys, those few hits guys do get become a lot worse. 

Malachore and Drew4719 like this

2 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

Julio does get a lot more hate than he probably warrants, but if you are constantly walking guys, those few hits guys do get become a lot worse. 

Especially when those hits are going into the stands.

54 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Especially when those hits are going into the stands.

I wouldn't mind Julio sticking around honestly. But if I had the choice between him or Keuchel, I would take the latter. 

Keuchel is better than Teheran. 

But that's not the point. Is Keuchel worth the contract he's demanding given the Braves pitching situation. I think not.

Drew4719 likes this

12 minutes ago, K26dp said:

Keuchel worth the contract he's demanding given the Braves pitching situation. I think not.

I was freaked out about our situation before guys started tweaking things. The list of teams that successfully counted on young pitchers exclusively and reached the playoffs isn't large. We're currently counting on:

Julio being better than normal

Gausman being better than ever

Folty being the guy from May through September last year rather than the rest of his career

Newcomb being the player from May and June than the one for the other months

I've got faith in Soroka if he's healthy. Everything else is hoping more than expecting.

And then there's the leadership vacuum of a team having no starters over the age of 28.

Drew4719 and Malachore like this

13 hours ago, K26dp said:

Keuchel is better than Teheran. 

But that's not the point. Is Keuchel worth the contract he's demanding given the Braves pitching situation. I think not.

Like I said, signing him for 1 or 2 years is fine. Signing him for 5 is not. That's basic common sense in my book.

Drew4719 and K26dp like this

15 hours ago, jidady said:

I was freaked out about our situation before guys started tweaking things. The list of teams that successfully counted on young pitchers exclusively and reached the playoffs isn't large. We're currently counting on:

Julio being better than normal

Gausman being better than ever

Folty being the guy from May through September last year rather than the rest of his career

Newcomb being the player from May and June than the one for the other months

I've got faith in Soroka if he's healthy. Everything else is hoping more than expecting.

And then there's the leadership vacuum of a team having no starters over the age of 28.

But specifically, is Keuchel worth what he is demanding? Obviously literally no major league team thinks so right now, otherwise he'd be in a camp somewhere.

Drew4719, Falconsfan567 and JDFIII like this

1 hour ago, K26dp said:

But specifically, is Keuchel worth what he is demanding? Obviously literally no major league team thinks so right now, otherwise he'd be in a camp somewhere.

Exactly what I said yesterday!!

JDFIII and K26dp like this

1 hour ago, K26dp said:

I've felt all along that he is, and I see him as a perfect fit for Atlanta to boot. We'll know when he plays this year whether he wanted too much or he was worth what he wanted.

The secondary aspect of this for me is that in my experience with baseball, what tends to happen is that young teams play inconsistently for a season. Then, during the offseason, teams overcompensate by adding more veterans. One of the reasons I've championed Keuchel and Kimbrel is that both of them are known as strong clubhouse presences. They're also two of the best people in the game. I've maintained all along that Charlie Leibrandt is one of the most important Braves ever for the way he taught Glavine, Smoltz and Avery the right way to approach the game. I don't see that guy on our pitching staff right, and it worries me a great deal.

To a larger point, this is something we can track over the next little while. It feels to me like baseball has gone more corporate in recent years, and one of the laws of the corporate world is to go younger whenever possible to pay less salary.

Malachore likes this

5 hours ago, jidady said:

I've felt all along that he is, and I see him as a perfect fit for Atlanta to boot. We'll know when he plays this year whether he wanted too much or he was worth what he wanted.

The secondary aspect of this for me is that in my experience with baseball, what tends to happen is that young teams play inconsistently for a season. Then, during the offseason, teams overcompensate by adding more veterans. One of the reasons I've championed Keuchel and Kimbrel is that both of them are known as strong clubhouse presences. They're also two of the best people in the game. I've maintained all along that Charlie Leibrandt is one of the most important Braves ever for the way he taught Glavine, Smoltz and Avery the right way to approach the game. I don't see that guy on our pitching staff right, and it worries me a great deal.

To a larger point, this is something we can track over the next little while. It feels to me like baseball has gone more corporate in recent years, and one of the laws of the corporate world is to go younger whenever possible to pay less salary.

I don't think you pay tens of millions of dollars for on-field coaches, and Keuchel's peripherals look terrible. He would be an improvement this year, and maybe next, but if he's really wanting more than that, veteran starters can be had for much less.

Falconsfan567 likes this

I mean at this point you would think 3 years 45-55m should get a deal done with Kimbrel and we should do it. To many question marks with young guys and health at this point. We need to sure the back end of the BP, I don't think Vizcaino can hand the stress of being a closer long term. He is much better suited for the 8th inning

11 minutes ago, TRUju2111 said:

I mean at this point you would think 3 years 45-55m should get a deal done with Kimbrel and we should do it. To many question marks with young guys and health at this point. We need to sure the back end of the BP, I don't think Vizcaino can hand the stress of being a closer long term. He is much better suited for the 8th inning

At this point we just gotta accept it ain't happening. AA is banking on a couple young guys who don't get a rotation spot to produce out of the bullpen.

I don't like it but it's what's happening. For whatever reason the FO just isn't interested in keeping their word.

TRUju2111 likes this

49 minutes ago, Malachore said:

At this point we just gotta accept it ain't happening. AA is banking on a couple young guys who don't get a rotation spot to produce out of the bullpen.

I don't like it but it's what's happening. For whatever reason the FO just isn't interested in keeping their word.

Look out for Thomas Burrows. He's been awesome in ST so far. 

I'm also a little biased though because he's an Alabama guy...

31 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

I'll be kinda pissed if Philly signs Kimbrel on a 1 year deal. You mean we couldn't have done that?

Someone's going to get a steal, Philly seems like a team that's always ready to pull the trigger so I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up there

4 hours ago, tl;dr said:

I'll be kinda pissed if Philly signs Kimbrel on a 1 year deal. You mean we couldn't have done that?

Honestly, if the Braves gave up a draft pick for only one season of a reliever I'd be PO'd.

JDFIII likes this

On 3/8/2019 at 6:29 PM, K26dp said:

Honestly, if the Braves gave up a draft pick for only one season of a reliever I'd be PO'd.

All we would do is waste that draft pick on another young arm that would look sensational in the minors then get to the majors and have either a mental or physical collapse and never pitch a full season.

On 3/8/2019 at 1:35 PM, tl;dr said:

Unfortunately, we're at a point now where we'd be hoping he's ready by May 1st, and there's a real chance he might not be effective until June or later. We have Spring Training for a reason. Guys need the work. So, I'd rather him go elsewhere at this point. Well, it's Kimbrel, so I'd still want him in a Braves jersey, but it's not the end of the world if he signs with a division opponent. 

2 hours ago, youngbloodz said:

At what point do a team that signs Kimbrel wont have to give up a first round pick? After the draft?

June I think but the Braves wouldn't even be giving up a first round pick,  they would be giving up a pick in the 60s.

youngbloodz likes this

2 hours ago, jlrfalcon said:

All we would do is waste that draft pick on another young arm that would look sensational in the minors then get to the majors and have either a mental or physical collapse and never pitch a full season.

Probably a good idea. We wouldn't want to waste time getting another 2nd round pick like Tom Glavine, Andrelton Simmons, Freddie Freeman, Brian McCann, Yunel Escobar, Alex Wood, or A.J. Minter.

TheTrue7, Falconsfan567 and Unkn0wn like this

8 minutes ago, K26dp said:

Probably a good idea. We wouldn't want to waste time getting another 2nd round pick like Tom Glavine, Andrelton Simmons, Freddie Freeman, Brian McCann, Yunel Escobar, Alex Wood, or A.J. Minter.

I love how people act like draft picks don't matter, especially right now when the Braves are under restriction from signing international free agents.

43 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I love how people act like draft picks don't matter, especially right now when the Braves are under restriction from signing international free agents.

1 pick doesn't matter. idc what the restrictions are. If you can get a player for 3 years it's worth the loss.

4 minutes ago, Malachore said:

1 pick doesn't matter. idc what the restrictions are. If you can get a player for 3 years it's worth the loss.

Depends on who the player is. Craig Kimbrel? Yes. Dallas Keuchel? No.