Ransack

2018/2019 Braves Offseason Thread

2,164 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

WHAT? Bullpen was far from terrible. I swear you guys say things just to say them regardless of if they're even remotely true or not. Braves bullpen ERA was 4.15 last year. That was exactly middle of the pack at 17th. If we can get full seasons from Vizzy, Venters, O'Day, and Biddle in additon to repeat seasons from Carle, Winkler, and Minter the Braves could easily be top 10 in bullpen ERA in 2019. There's no reason to think walks will be an issue again in 2019. What happened in 2018 with the walks was really fluky.

Our BP blew huge leads plenty of times and couldn't hold onto small leads at all

1 minute ago, TRUju2111 said:

Our BP blew huge leads plenty of times and couldn't hold onto small leads at all

No they did not!! Not a fact!! Fact is the Braves bullpen had only 20 blown saves in 2018. That was tied for 12th fewest in baseball with a handful of teams, one of which won the most games in baseball in 2018 and the World Series and had Craig Kimbrel as it's closer.

I give you facts and you give me shoddy opinions.

2 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

No they did not!! Not a fact!! Fact is the Braves bullpen had only 20 blown saves in 2018. That was tied for 12th fewest in baseball with a handful of teams, one of which won the most games in baseball in 2018 and the World Series and had Craig Kimbrel as it's closer.

Saves bro, bps can blow it way before that. Your rude *** comment shows me how dumb you are. I'm done with you

2 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

As for the saves, 12th fewestlike that's good haha

Braves are relying on Gohara, Fried, Touki, all those young guys to be key weapons in the pen. They're also banking on a big year from O'Day, who is one of the best when healthy. 

28 minutes ago, TRUju2111 said:

Saves bro, bps can blow it way before that. Your rude *** comment shows me how dumb you are. I'm done with you

27 minutes ago, TRUju2111 said:

As for the saves, 12th fewestlike that's good haha

I'm the dumb one and you don't even know that they count blown saves for any point in the game? LOL! Alright then! The only one being rude here is you. Also, 12th out of 30 teams is good.

7 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I'm the dumb one and you don't even know that they count blown saves for any point in the game? LOL! Alright then! The only one being rude here is you. Also, 12th out of 30 teams is good.

Chicago and Boston, those 2 epic and I mean epic collapses in the same season are no coincidence. It just shows the reality of how bad they can be. Epically bad, that's your bullpen bro, way to stick up for that **** show 

1 minute ago, TRUju2111 said:

Chicago and Boston, those 2 epic and I mean epic collapses in the same season are no coincidence. It just shows the reality of how bad they can be. Epically bad, that's your bullpen bro, way to stick up for that **** show 

LOL! Ok dude!! I'm done! Common sense and objectivity isn't your strong suit.

34 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

Braves are relying on Gohara, Fried, Touki, all those young guys to be key weapons in the pen. They're also banking on a big year from O'Day, who is one of the best when healthy. 

I have faith that could work out. All those guys have shown something. I think we can easily forget about O'Day too, but he could be a key piece. I definitely think our bullpen is going to be better this year. May not be O'Ventbrel level, but should still be solid. 

Falconsfan567 likes this

11 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

LOL! Ok dude!! I'm done! Common sense and objectivity isn't your strong suit.

Take your smirk attitude away. I know for a fact that during the season everyone on these boards had something bad to say about our BP. So im.not going to let an off season and an idiot change how I felt during the season

11 hours ago, Ransack said:

Bullpen was middle of the road at best last year. Wasn't good and it wasn't terrible.

Yep, bullpen ERA was right in the middle of MLB. 

26 minutes ago, TRUju2111 said:

Take your smirk attitude away. I know for a fact that during the season everyone on these boards had something bad to say about our BP. So im.not going to let an off season and an idiot change how I felt during the season

oh-youre-a-tough-guy-on-the-internet-ibe

Our bullpen really wasn't as good as the final ratings suggests. They would be completely lights out and then trash. They were easily the most inconsistent part of this team. All those kids have talent but we really think it's a good idea to have all these young arms?

1 hour ago, Malachore said:

Our bullpen really wasn't as good as the final ratings suggests. They would be completely lights out and then trash. They were easily the most inconsistent part of this team. All those kids have talent but we really think it's a good idea to have all these young arms?

Yes. It's a GREAT idea to have lots of young arms.

There was one guy who was pretty good all season -- A.J. Minter. Not perfect or anything, but steady, and plenty to build on.

Vizacaino was really good when healthy, but he missed essentially two months (mid July through mid September), just when the rest of the bullpen was really struggling.

Guys that looked really good early -- Winkler, Freeman, Carle -- wore down by mid-season. They rebounded to some degree after the Braves traded for depth (Brach, Venters) and the kids came up to take some of the load. Keep in mind that this was essentially the first full major league season for Winkler and Carle.

Biddle was pretty solid all season outside of two nightmare outings.

Some of the guys who had the toughest go of it out of the pen -- Wisler, Moylan, Sims, Ramierez, Socolovich -- aren't with the team anymore.

Overall, I think the bullpen will be better this season. It's much deeper than at the start of the season, to the point that pretty much anyone with options could find themselves in Gwinnett to start the season if they aren't sharp this spring. The thing to watch is how hard the young starters will be forcing their way to Atlanta, even if there isn't a rotation spot. Soroka, Touki, and Fried don't really have anything left to prove in Gwinnett, and I could see the team making room for all three of them. If Chad Sobotka shows out too, that's 3-4 spots filled. You figure Viz, Minter, O'Day, and Venters have 4 spots. So that's *maybe* one spot for the Winkler/Carle/Biddle/Freeman/Jackson group. Freeman could end up being released to save money, but Winkler and Carle both still have options.

Malachore and Falconsfan567 like this

1 hour ago, K26dp said:

Yes. It's a GREAT idea to have lots of young arms.

There was one guy who was pretty good all season -- A.J. Minter. Not perfect or anything, but steady, and plenty to build on.

Vizacaino was really good when healthy, but he missed essentially two months (mid July through mid September), just when the rest of the bullpen was really struggling.

Guys that looked really good early -- Winkler, Freeman, Carle -- wore down by mid-season. They rebounded to some degree after the Braves traded for depth (Brach, Venters) and the kids came up to take some of the load. Keep in mind that this was essentially the first full major league season for Winkler and Carle.

Biddle was pretty solid all season outside of two nightmare outings.

Some of the guys who had the toughest go of it out of the pen -- Wisler, Moylan, Sims, Ramierez, Socolovich -- aren't with the team anymore.

Overall, I think the bullpen will be better this season. It's much deeper than at the start of the season, to the point that pretty much anyone with options could find themselves in Gwinnett to start the season if they aren't sharp this spring. The thing to watch is how hard the young starters will be forcing their way to Atlanta, even if there isn't a rotation spot. Soroka, Touki, and Fried don't really have anything left to prove in Gwinnett, and I could see the team making room for all three of them. If Chad Sobotka shows out too, that's 3-4 spots filled. You figure Viz, Minter, O'Day, and Venters have 4 spots. So that's *maybe* one spot for the Winkler/Carle/Biddle/Freeman/Jackson group. Freeman could end up being released to save money, but Winkler and Carle both still have options.

I guess I feel like we need that guy out there who you can trust each time out.

Viz, Venters and O'day all have injury concerns. 2 of those 3 or all 3 go down and you are looking at a bullpen of Stripers.

4 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Viz, Venters and O'day all have injury concerns. 2 of those 3 or all 3 go down and you are looking at a bullpen of Stripers.

A.J. Minter

1 minute ago, Falconsfan567 said:

A.J. Minter

The guy who would constantly pitch himself out of multiple save opportunities because he couldn't have an efficient inning?

Even then that's literally 1 guy in the bullpen who either isn't old with injury concerns or still considered a rookie.

24 minutes ago, Malachore said:

I think we're going to bring at least one more vet reliever in. Probably not Kimbrel, but there's still some good arms available. Tony Sipp, Adam Warren, Blake Wood, and Alex Wilson are some attractive non-Kimbrel guys on the market.

But even if we don't I like out BP a lot more going into this season than last. Young players tend to get better with experience, if for no other reason.

Falconsfan567 likes this

30 minutes ago, Malachore said:

The guy who would constantly pitch himself out of multiple save opportunities because he couldn't have an efficient inning?

Even then that's literally 1 guy in the bullpen who either isn't old with injury concerns or still considered a rookie.

Minter was 15-for-17 in saves.

Couple of things that I'd like to add...

Last night, the family and I went out to eat.  We were halfway finished when the table behind us was occupied by a family.  A college age kid was talking to his dad (who was wearing baseball attire for a local college) about the Kimbrel situation.  The youngster stated that if we didn't sign Kimbrel, the season was lost and Snitker would be fired by May 1st.  The dad chuckled/laughed....you know, the typical "You really need to stop talking our of your *** " dad chuckle/laugh.  It reminded me of checking in on the boards and saved me from having to do so last night.

Second thing since we're talking about Kimbrel and the bullpen.  Anyone else remember when Kimbrel first came up and couldn't escape a full inning without walking at least 1-2 batters?  I do.  I even remember if he walked 1 batter, it was a great outing!  And yet there are some that, by the way don't understand why he's not already in spring training, don't want to give our young arms the opportunity to develop like we did Kimbrel.

1 hour ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Minter was 15-for-17 in saves.

Yes I know, I'm talking about the times where he would throw far too many pitches in the 8/9th and not be available the next day.

8 minutes ago, mookie3127 said:

Couple of things that I'd like to add...

Last night, the family and I went out to eat.  We were halfway finished when the table behind us was occupied by a family.  A college age kid was talking to his dad (who was wearing baseball attire for a local college) about the Kimbrel situation.  The youngster stated that if we didn't sign Kimbrel, the season was lost and Snitker would be fired by May 1st.  The dad chuckled/laughed....you know, the typical "You really need to stop talking our of your *** " dad chuckle/laugh.  It reminded me of checking in on the boards and saved me from having to do so last night.

Second thing since we're talking about Kimbrel and the bullpen.  Anyone else remember when Kimbrel first came up and couldn't escape a full inning without walking at least 1-2 batters?  I do.  I even remember if he walked 1 batter, it was a great outing!  And yet there are some that, by the way don't understand why he's not already in spring training, don't want to give our young arms the opportunity to develop like we did Kimbrel.

I'm fine with giving them time to develop. 

I'm not fine with giving 70% of the bullpen that time.