Ransack

2018/2019 Braves Offseason Thread

2,142 posts in this topic

I guess Harper's tired of all the short-term contract rumors. He made sure to get a news cycle saying that short-term is out of the question.

5 hours ago, ATLFalcon36 said:

DeGrom gave mets opening day deadline. It would never happen but itd be so sick to have a top duo of degrom and folty

That'd be sick!! 

Still some big names yet to sign, are we like going to sit on our hands or wait for the right time to get some more help. 

One of Kimbrel, Kuechel, Gonzalez would all be icing on the cake

5 minutes ago, maorifalcon said:

Still some big names yet to sign, are we like going to sit on our hands or wait for the right time to get some more help. 

One of Kimbrel, Kuechel, Gonzalez would all be icing on the cake

What are you talking about icing on the cake.. the way some are talking we don’t even have a plate.. 

2 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

What are you talking about icing on the cake.. the way some are talking we don’t even have a plate.. 

Hahahaha well i'm not one of them. I'm good with the moves we made, stronger starting lineup, more depth, room for the young ones to come through and not be blocked. Literally any of those 3 would be a luxury. Kimbrel would be the most useful the bunch 

TheTrue7 likes this

9 minutes ago, maorifalcon said:

Hahahaha well i'm not one of them. I'm good with the moves we made, stronger starting lineup, more depth, room for the young ones to come through and not be blocked. Literally any of those 3 would be a luxury. Kimbrel would be the most useful the bunch 

I would love Kimbrel and Gonzalez.  

JDFIII likes this

So word is Liberty Media might be putting in bids to buy the FOX Regional Sports Networks. If that's the case they could really be doing us a major solid in getting out from under that godawful TV rights deal we have. 

JDFIII likes this

4 hours ago, Ransack said:

So word is Liberty Media might be putting in bids to buy the FOX Regional Sports Networks. If that's the case they could really be doing us a major solid in getting out from under that godawful TV rights deal we have. 

Now thats a potentially huge development 

52 minutes ago, Dawggone said:

Now thats a potentially huge development 

LM has their hands in a lot of business fronts. 2 or 3 years ago they bought a major stake in Formula 1.

Dawggone likes this

On 2/12/2019 at 4:34 PM, Unkn0wn said:

The way some are talking we should forfeit the 2019 season. We can't possibly win without a player making $30M a year. 

Or we can't possibly win with this BP and lack of power in the lineup. Markakis in the 4 or 5 again will make sure opposing pitchers sleep well before playing us

8 minutes ago, TRUju2111 said:

Or we can't possibly win with this BP and lack of power in the lineup. Markakis in the 4 or 5 again will make sure opposing pitchers sleep well before playing us

Bullpen looks pretty **** good from where I'm sitting. 2018 WAR.

• Arodys Vizcaino = 1.2
  • Shane Carle = 1.0
  • A.J. Minter = 0.8
  • Jesse Biddle = 0.5
  • Darren O'Day = 0.4
  • Chad Sobotka = 0.4
  • Touki Toussaint = 0.4
  • Jonny Venters = 0.3
  • Dan Winkler = 0.2

Here's the thing about WAR, it's cumultive, meaning that the more someone plays the higher their WAR will be. That's important when you look at guys that turned in positive WAR's that would have been higher had they pitched more. Some of these low numbers are due to low innings pitched because of injury and some of them are because of small sample sizes due to starting the season in the minors last year. Bullpen, even without a major addition has the chance to be rock solid in 2019, from both the left and right side.

I think the lineup has more power than you realize. Here's some realistic HR projections from the lineup.

• Josh Donaldson = 35-40
  • Ronald Acuna Jr. = 35-40
  • Freddie Freeman = 25-30
  • Catcher = 25-30
  • Ozzie Albies = 20
  • Nick Markakis = 10-15
  • Dansby Swanson = 15
  • Ender Inciarte = 10

There's the potential there for 175-200 homeruns.

JDFIII likes this

16 minutes ago, Nereek said:

I still don't think we have pitchers worth a **** on this roster.

Ya our BP was terrible last year but we are cool with what we got. Folty is the only starter who doesn't have a ton of ????????

23 minutes ago, Nereek said:

I still don't think we have pitchers worth a **** on this roster.

I won't say they aren't worth a **** bit I sure don't trust most of them. Seriously am amazed we did absolutely nothing to strengthen the staff other than getting back a 35 y/o reliever coming off injury.

There are 100 free agents that can be signed by any team at any time. It's not like we sit out while every team signed everyone. Harper and Machado aren't even signed. Some of you confuse the old days with now. This is how baseball works at the moment. It's not exciting but it is what it is till its changed.

As respectfully as I can say this, you don't get ahead by following the herd and doing what they do. Just because a bunch of other teams are sitting on their hands doesn't make it a smart move. Opportunities are everywhere.

33 minutes ago, jidady said:

As respectfully as I can say this, you don't get ahead by following the herd and doing what they do. Just because a bunch of other teams are sitting on their hands doesn't make it a smart move. Opportunities are everywhere.

Theres two sides. Players unwilling to budge. It was recently reported that Harper and Machado refuse to be the first to sign. My point is more that the options are there. 

5 hours ago, TRUju2111 said:

Ya our BP was terrible last year but we are cool with what we got. Folty is the only starter who doesn't have a ton of ????????

WHAT? Bullpen was far from terrible. I swear you guys say things just to say them regardless of if they're even remotely true or not. Braves bullpen ERA was 4.15 last year. That was exactly middle of the pack at 17th. If we can get full seasons from Vizzy, Venters, O'Day, and Biddle in additon to repeat seasons from Carle, Winkler, and Minter the Braves could easily be top 10 in bullpen ERA in 2019. There's no reason to think walks will be an issue again in 2019. What happened in 2018 with the walks was really fluky.

49 minutes ago, jidady said:

So the Braves aren't trying because they're not throwing around money like crazy? There's been reports that the Braves were in on several players that they didn't end up with. That shows that they're trying while not being stupid. Everyone is acting like 2019 is make or break and we're about to have 10 straight 100 loss seasons if we don't win it all this year.