Ransack

2018/2019 Braves Offseason Thread

2,142 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Was Wagner drafted to be a starter? Honest question, I have no idea.

Yes. Made 73 starts in the minors before being moved to the bullpen.

Link

Malachore likes this

40 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Was Wagner drafted to be a starter? Honest question, I have no idea.

At the time, pitchers weren't drafted in the first round to be relievers. I remember reading some scouting reports that suggested closer was his natural position. He was a tremendous curiosity at the time. He went to a tiny school called Ferrum College. They had like 1,200 students at the time, and baseball games would have attendance of 100, half of them baseball scouts. He was a starter in college, but Ferrum didn't play a lot of games. You can imagine what these small college hitters looked like against a guy who may make the Hall of Fame. You can google some of the stories. I think he still has some records that stand today.

Malachore and K26dp like this

13 hours ago, jidady said:

MLBTR says we were in the hunt on Brantley before he picked the Astros.

That at least makes me feel a little better about it.

2 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

That report claimed the Braves were very close to Houston with their offer.

Dang it, Brantley would have made this team much better

jidady likes this

49 minutes ago, maorifalcon said:

Dang it, Brantley would have made this team much better

Yup. I can't blame him for picking a great team like Houston, but that's exactly the sort of OFer we needed to level up. 

57 minutes ago, jidady said:

Yup. I can't blame him for picking a great team like Houston, but that's exactly the sort of OFer we needed to level up. 

Yep. Should have matched the offer. Brantley would have been such an improvement over Markakis. The kind of improvement we needed in RF.

11 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

If I was AA I'd be on the phone trying to get Wil Myers from the Padres.

Will cost prospects and money. We don't seem to want to give up either.

35 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Yep. Should have matched the offer. Brantley would have been such an improvement over Markakis. The kind of improvement we needed in RF.

Would have gone above and beyond their offer.  Because Texas doesn't have  a state tax so we would have made up for that money in an offer to be even i imagine.

Malachore and Falconsfan567 like this

15 minutes ago, maorifalcon said:

Really?? 

Yes. Can you name another that's even comparable? Most great outfielders play CF or RF. Acuna on most teams would be playing CF. But very few outfielders are as good as Ender is defensively so as a result Acuna is playing LF.

TheTrue7 likes this

2 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Yes. Can you name another that's even comparable? Most great outfielders play CF or RF. Acuna on most teams would be playing CF. But very few outfielders are as good as Ender is defensively so as a result Acuna is playing LF.

Now that you say it like that yeah he is, I was thinking all. Outfielders for some reason. 

9 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

He's ranked 3rd but should be 1 by the all star break

2 hours ago, TRUju2111 said:

He's ranked 3rd but should be 1 by the all star break

3rd behind who? I honestly can't even think of good LF's other than him. All the great outfielders I can think of play CF or RF.

20 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

3rd behind who? I honestly can't even think of good LF's other than him. All the great outfielders I can think of play CF or RF.

According to this JD Martinez and Stanton...

Which I don't agree with at all.

Edited by CrimsonFalcon

19 minutes ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

According to this JD Martinez and Stanton...

Which I don't agree with at all.

I didn't see who was ahead of him but ya I'm surprised they have a dh ahead of him wtf

Edited by TRUju2111

4 minutes ago, TRUju2111 said:

I didn't see who was ahead of him but ya I'm surprised they have a dh ahead of him wtf

The article stated that Martinez played in the outfield a whole 56 games, with over half of those in left.  Stanton to me is also a DH with them rotating he and Judge between the OF and DH.

Plus, arent they mostly RF?

Edited by CrimsonFalcon

15 minutes ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

The article stated that Martinez played in the outfield a whole 56 games, with over half of those in left.  Stanton to me is also a DH with them rotating he and Judge between the OF and DH.

Yes. Stanton has played a whole total of 36 games in LF in his entire career, they just all happened to come in 2018. He played a grand total of 72 games in the OF in 2018. It's absurd to rank both ahead of Acuna.

CrimsonFalcon likes this

7 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Yes. Stanton has played a whole total of 36 games in LF in his entire career, they just all happened to come in 2018. He played a grand total of 72 games in the OF in 2018. It's absurd to rank both ahead of Acuna.

Just another way to shine the Yankees knobs..

Falconsfan567 likes this

2 hours ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

Ya not to mention he wasn't an all star, Ks an insane amount, was 19th in MVP ranking all that with not being good on defense and rarely plays LF. Makes sense to somebody I guess lol