Ransack

2018/2019 Braves Offseason Thread

2,164 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, maorifalcon said:

What was our initial offer?? 

We dont really know. We just know we refuse to give them Riley or Anderson. All we've heard is it's a competitive offer.

21 minutes ago, TRUju2111 said:

If this is true then I see the Reds and Padres ahead of us

We heard early on in the offseason that Miami absolutely did not want Realmuto in the East. Any team in it would have to pay way more as a penalty.

14 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Not just that, Gio Gonzalez hasn't been very good the last 3 years.

He had a pretty decent 2017.

He's an overall meh from me. Not quite Markakis meh, but still meh.

We could do much better, but that will likely have to come through trade now.

Malachore likes this

1 hour ago, ATL Fan in the DMV said:

Hard pass. No way we give up either for realmuto. 

I'll trade a maybe pitcher for a top 3 player at his position any day.

So many things can happen. He could get hurt or just not pan out over the 1000000:1 odds he'll be an ace. Especially when he still have Wright, Touki, Soroka, Mueller and Wentz.

53 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

We heard early on in the offseason that Miami absolutely did not want Realmuto in the East. Any team in it would have to pay way more as a penalty.

Ya that's why I believe other teams are ahead of us, otherwise they would have accepted our offer already

Edited by TRUju2111

1 hour ago, Malachore said:

I'll trade a maybe pitcher for a top 3 player at his position any day.

So many things can happen. He could get hurt or just not pan out over the 1000000:1 odds he'll be an ace. Especially when he still have Wright, Touki, Soroka, Mueller and Wentz.

If they would let us negotiate an extension with him before the deal, then I'm all down to include Anderson. Don't want to see us trade a top prospect and then see the player walk though.

3 hours ago, ATL Fan in the DMV said:

He had a pretty decent 2017.

He's an overall meh from me. Not quite Markakis meh, but still meh.

We could do much better, but that will likely have to come through trade now.

His FIP in 2017 was 3.96 which shows that he was extremely lucky. He was bad in 2016 and 2018.

45 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

His FIP in 2017 was 3.96 which shows that he was extremely lucky. He was bad in 2016 and 2018.

Fair enough.

Assuming both start 2019 and log normal innings, who do you think will be the better SP in 2019 - Gio or Teheran?

I'm not advocating one or the other, but it seems more likely by the day that Teheran will be in our starting rotation in 2019. I know many aren't going to be a fan of that. And even if we did get Gio, that won't guarantee that Teheran won't be starting for us.

Just now, ATL Fan in the DMV said:

Fair enough.

Assuming both start 2019 and log normal innings, who do you think will be the better SP in 2019 - Gio or Teheran?

I'm not advocating one or the other, but it seems more likely by the day that Teheran will be in our starting rotation in 2019. I know many aren't going to be a fan of that. And even if we did get Gio, that won't guarantee that Teheran won't be starting for us.

Julio's upside is vastly higher than Gio's. There's still a lot of signs from Julio that he can still be a quality MLB starter. Julio just has to figure out the walks. Those killed him because solo homeruns ended up being 2 and 3 run homeruns and you just can't have that. He only gave up 122 hits last year. He set a new Atlanta record for lowest batting average against in a season.

Did you guys know we are still paying Bruce Sutter?

From MLBTraderumors.com

The Braves signed Sutter to a six-year, $9.1 million deal prior to the 1985 season when Sutter was coming off of a top-10 finish in Most Valuable Player voting having just completed a return to star status after a couple of rocky seasons. With Atlanta, Sutter produced a whopping 0 WAR while sputtering out after three seasons. However, that’s not the source of intrigue. That comes from the extremely unique structure of Sutter’s contract which called for minimal annual payments and massive deferrals, paying Sutter $1.12 million per year for 30 years after he retired. Mercifully for the Braves, Sutter will collect his final annual payment in 2021. Unmercifully for the Braves, Sutter collects the entire $9.1 million principal that year as well. His $10.22 million payment in 2021 may very well rival Mike Foltynewicz for the second largest payout on the team. If the Braves already have Sutter’s balloon payment tucked away and ready for payment in 2021, this is merely a goofy historical anecdote. If, however, the Braves need to come up with the balloon payment, it may have a meaningful impact on the 2021 roster and the team’s willingness to commit future dollars this offseason.

55 minutes ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

Did you guys know we are still paying Bruce Sutter?

From MLBTraderumors.com

The Braves signed Sutter to a six-year, $9.1 million deal prior to the 1985 season when Sutter was coming off of a top-10 finish in Most Valuable Player voting having just completed a return to star status after a couple of rocky seasons. With Atlanta, Sutter produced a whopping 0 WAR while sputtering out after three seasons. However, that’s not the source of intrigue. That comes from the extremely unique structure of Sutter’s contract which called for minimal annual payments and massive deferrals, paying Sutter $1.12 million per year for 30 years after he retired. Mercifully for the Braves, Sutter will collect his final annual payment in 2021. Unmercifully for the Braves, Sutter collects the entire $9.1 million principal that year as well. His $10.22 million payment in 2021 may very well rival Mike Foltynewicz for the second largest payout on the team. If the Braves already have Sutter’s balloon payment tucked away and ready for payment in 2021, this is merely a goofy historical anecdote. If, however, the Braves need to come up with the balloon payment, it may have a meaningful impact on the 2021 roster and the team’s willingness to commit future dollars this offseason.

Yep.

CrimsonFalcon likes this

On 2/4/2019 at 0:01 PM, Unkn0wn said:

I think I remember reading the Braves have already budgeted all of his money.

John Mullen was the Braves GM when the Braves signed Sutter and the story is that most teams knew that Sutter was pitching with a sore shoulder for parts of 2 seasons and no team was willing to give Sutter a long-term deal. Mullen took and gamble and gave him a 6-year deal and Sutter was pretty much done after 2 seasons. Mullen is also the GM who traded Brett Butler and Brooke Jacoby to the Indians for the injured Len Barker.

8 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

They'll sign in March IMO.

They should sign just before spring training. But march seems more likely.

7 minutes ago, TRUju2111 said:

This could go down as the Braves worst off season ever if we don't do something. Adding only Donaldson makes zero sense

So this offseason would be worse than when Coppy blew up the entire roster?

K26dp likes this