Ransack

2018/2019 Braves Offseason Thread

2,164 posts in this topic

Nobody is doing anything. At historic levels, there are still over 100 free agents. Including some of the games best Harper, Machado and Kimbrel. 

Last years cold stove continues at an even colder pace. 

15 minutes ago, Malachore said:

So the owners are trying for a lockout.

Looks headed that way. The players are not happy with the direction of the game. July is the only time we see market heat up and that's when players have little control.

Malachore likes this

9 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

Looks headed that way. The players are not happy with the direction of the game. July is the only time we see market heat up and that's when players have little control.

Hope it doesn't happen, we all know what it did and what it took for them to recover from the last one.

4 hours ago, Malachore said:

Bro I'm fairly certain you brought up their record outside the East just last week.

Did not. All I mentioned was that the NL would be tougher this year. Didn't mention any records.

4 hours ago, Malachore said:

I'm just going to pretend you haven't basically said the same thing.

I hardly consider me stating their record outside the East being negative especially when it's correct. 

I was upset about the Markakis signing. But it's done with. No use crying over spilled milk. I still think the Braves are a very good team and will be playing meaningful baseball in October 2019 even as currently constructed. I believe in the young players maturing and boosting the overall performance of the team.

Dawggone likes this

2 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

I stand with the owners on this one. There have been good/great offers on the table and the greedy players have refused to budge. Harper turned down $300M from the Nationals. Depending on who the source is Machado has had at least a $175M and higher offer from the White Sox on the table. The money is there if the players accept playing for a "more than fair" deal. The issue is the players refusing to accept "market" value and wanting more than they're worth and the owners finally got wise to it. Players don't have a leg to stand on. This will get ugly and be as bad as the strike in 1994, maybe even worse. But players don't have a leg to stand on when you see some of the offers that guys like Andrew McCutchen have gotten. That tells you that if you accept market value you'd have a home by now and not be playing for peanuts.

g-dawg and Passprotection like this

3 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

The fundamental nature of the arbitration system is broken for players. Presuming four years in the minors on average, they have no control of their profession for a decade. That's the point of negotiation on their side. They have to reduce arbitration time.

For decades, the perception has been that the MLB player's union is the strongest in the world, but they've had a LOT of errors in judgment that have led to this.

32 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I was upset about the Markakis signing. But it's done with. No use crying over spilled milk.

There's where I'm at on it. The situation is easier to accept since Markakis is such a good dude and dedicated professional.

I still have a lot of concerns about this team, but we don't break camp for almost two full months. We have plenty of time to figure out what's what.

More than anything, we need a veteran starter, someone who can teach the psychology of baseball to the kids. I don't trust Julio to be that guy, and I'd never trust Folty. So, I'm holding out that we swoop in for somebody. Otherwise, that Anibal Sanchez loss worries me.

Falconsfan567 likes this

4 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Nobody is doing anything. At historic levels, there are still over 100 free agents. Including some of the games best Harper, Machado and Kimbrel. 

Last years cold stove continues at an even colder pace. 

Well this is stupid..I think a player cap is def needed like the NBA. Not team, just player for max years and money. MLB players see an NFL qb get top dollar when it's there turn and think they should get the same as if they have the ball in there hands every pitch if every game. 

43 minutes ago, jidady said:

The fundamental nature of the arbitration system is broken for players. Presuming four years in the minors on average, they have no control of their profession for a decade. That's the point of negotiation on their side. They have to reduce arbitration time.

For decades, the perception has been that the MLB player's union is the strongest in the world, but they've had a LOT of errors in judgment that have led to this.

Forget the players. They make plenty. Markakis making 15 million a year? He’s never sniffed 15 million a year production. The lengthy arbitration time is the only reason mid size markets can compete. The only folks that get screwed are the fans. Per usual. 

1 hour ago, jidady said:

Now that I do agree with. Players do have a legit gripe on that point, especially considering that minor league guys get paid peanuts.

27 minutes ago, Dawggone said:

I seen we have spoken to Gio Gonzalez recently about a one year deal

He had one of his best years in 2017. But he was overall very average in 2018, but had a really good 5 starts after the trade to MIL to end the year.

I wouldn't cry about it, and we know he is no Kluber, but we could do a lot worse. He's already 33, so he will likely come quite reasonably cheap. I'd expect him to probably be a little better than Teheran but not better than Folty.

1 hour ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Now that I do agree with. Players do have a legit gripe on that point, especially considering that minor league guys get paid peanuts.

Last negotiation period the players specifically screwed over the younger guys in favor of getting older guys more money. Now we see how that has worked out for them.

Going to be real tough to beat the reds offer. They have there 2018 first Rd pick a gold glove catcher along with more on the table

From the recent reports it sounds like Anthopolous has not backed down from his original offer. He feels his best offer was good enough. Marlins can still take it if they want. They just prefer the Braves overpay for being in the same division. That's what is holding up.

1 hour ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Pass!!!

Ya no need to take a spot away from one of our young guys for that old guy

25 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

From the recent reports it sounds like Anthopolous has not backed down from his original offer. He feels his best offer was good enough. Marlins can still take it if they want. They just prefer the Braves overpay for being in the same division. That's what is holding up.

If this is true then I see the Reds and Padres ahead of us

17 minutes ago, TRUju2111 said:

If this is true then I see the Reds and Padres ahead of us

What was our initial offer?? 

19 minutes ago, TRUju2111 said:

Ya no need to take a spot away from one of our young guys for that old guy

Not just that, Gio Gonzalez hasn't been very good the last 3 years.