Ransack

2018/2019 Braves Offseason Thread

2,164 posts in this topic

We were 38-40 against teams playing .500 or better baseball in 2018. Improvements needed to happen and I haven't seen it. AA might still be "working on stuff" but the clock is ticking and I haven't seen much positive movement.

TRUju2111 and Malachore like this

12 minutes ago, Malachore said:

I feel like Catcher wasn't upgraded, RF is likely worse, 3rd base is an upgrade IF Donaldson stays healthy. We still have the same rotation and guys like Sam Freeman still in the bullpen. We shouldn't hedge our bets that all these kids will improve when sophomore slumps are a real thing. Outside of the top 3 this lineup isn't scaring anyone.

Not too mention teams like the Nats, Reds, Mets and Phillies have all gotten better while teams like the Dodgers, Brewers, Cubs and Cardinals were already better than us.

As I said the catcher is flat. Im not saying hedge everything on the kids but thats what the rebuild was develop your own guys. Why is that viewed as bad now? And I hear every year how the nats and phillies got better and then see them flail and fall apart. 

38 minutes ago, Dawggone said:

As I said the catcher is flat. Im not saying hedge everything on the kids but thats what the rebuild was develop your own guys. Why is that viewed as bad now? And I hear every year how the nats and phillies got better and then see them flail and fall apart. 

Maybe but that still does hide the fact that both have improved and the Nats had a very good offseason so far. They were hurt all last year, it's not like their players didn't produce when they were in the lineup.

If we signed Machado, I would be all down for trading Dansby + some to the Marlins for Realmuto. 

42 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

If we signed Machado, I would be all down for trading Dansby + some to the Marlins for Realmuto. 

I'm down to do it now.

6 minutes ago, Malachore said:

I'm down to do it now.

Maybe move Albies back to SS and Riley to 2B when he is ready? I have no idea if Riley at 2B would work, but that would be my "long term" plan. For opening day I would imagine it would be Camargo at SS and Albies at 2B

1 hour ago, tl;dr said:

Doesn't Donaldson and Machado hate each other?

5 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Yes. Let's fire the guy for not bringing in any big names after his first season. Some of you need to take a step back from the ledge. None of you would have said the 2018 Braves could compete for the East. Let the FO do its thing, they know what's really happening. It's fun to debate on what we'd do but at the end of the day we're couch GM's for a reason. Keep it logical.

It’s the mentality around here.. not doing what I want, fire him.. not giving me who I want, fire him.. every single forum.. ridiculous

2 hours ago, Malachore said:

I feel like Catcher wasn't upgraded, RF is likely worse, 3rd base is an upgrade IF Donaldson stays healthy. We still have the same rotation and guys like Sam Freeman still in the bullpen. We shouldn't hedge our bets that all these kids will improve when sophomore slumps are a real thing. Outside of the top 3 this lineup isn't scaring anyone.

Not too mention teams like the Nats, Reds, Mets and Phillies have all gotten better while teams like the Dodgers, Brewers, Cubs and Cardinals were already better than us.

This is right on!!!

15 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

It’s the mentality around here.. not doing what I want, fire him.. not giving me who I want, fire him.. every single forum.. ridiculous

I think literally one person said that here.

1 hour ago, tl;dr said:

Stooopid

47 minutes ago, Malachore said:

I think literally one person said that here.

It’s been said in every forum.. Falcons, college sports, hawks.. every single one.. 

could also say there’s been insinuations as well....

seems to be a cure all for some.. continuity isn’t important.. instant results are expected and easy I guess..

Edited by TheTrue7

40 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

It’s been said in every forum.. Falcons, college sports, hawks.. every single one.. 

could also say there’s been insinuations as well....

seems to be a cure all for some.. continuity isn’t important.. instant results are expected and easy I guess..

Well this is year 6...

1 hour ago, maorifalcon said:

Stooopid

ikr, why trade a guy who would be regulated to a bench spot for an All Star at a position of need?

1 minute ago, Malachore said:

ikr, why trade a guy who would be regulated to a bench spot for an All Star at a position of need?

We aren't signing Machado so just  stop. Realmunto would be dope but meh i'm not trading Albies or Acuna for his ***.

3 Freeman
4 Albies
5 Donaldson
6 Swanson 
Utility - Camargo

I'm good with that.

Well this is year 6...

Year 6? Where did you learn to count?

1. 2015 - 67 Wins
  2. 2016 - 68 Wins
  3. 2017 - 72 Wins
  4. 2018 - 90 Wins (Lost NLDS)

Braves were in the playoffs in 2018 and have a great chance of being in the playoffs in 2019 as well. If they miss the playoffs it's not the end of the world? Why? Because look at the Astros. Astros started their rebuild in 2011.

1. 2011 - 56 Wins
  2. 2012 - 55 Wins
  3. 2013 - 51 Wins
  4. 2014 - 70 Wins
  5. 2015 - 86 Wins (Lost ALDS)
  6. 2016 - 84 Wins (Missed Playoffs)
  7. 2017 - 101 Wins (Won World Series)
  8. 2018 - 103 Wins (Lost ALCS)

Braves are ahead of the Astros. The Astros is who we want to be like right?

JDFIII likes this

6 minutes ago, Malachore said:

What’s stooopid is thinking this could happen. C’mon man. This is made up BS and you know it. Now you’re co-signing it? 

28 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Year 6? Where did you learn to count?

1. 2015 - 67 Wins
  2. 2016 - 68 Wins
  3. 2017 - 72 Wins
  4. 2018 - 90 Wins (Lost NLDS)

Braves were in the playoffs in 2018 and have a great chance of being in the playoffs in 2019 as well. If they miss the playoffs it's not the end of the world? Why? Because look at the Astros. Astros started their rebuild in 2011.

1. 2011 - 56 Wins
  2. 2012 - 55 Wins
  3. 2013 - 51 Wins
  4. 2014 - 70 Wins
  5. 2015 - 86 Wins (Lost ALDS)
  6. 2016 - 84 Wins (Missed Playoffs)
  7. 2017 - 101 Wins (Won World Series)
  8. 2018 - 103 Wins (Lost ALCS)

Braves are ahead of the Astros. The Astros is who we want to be like right?

Sorry, year 5. I'm also counting 2014 which would make it 6, it was a losing season so why would I not.

idc if we are ahead of the '27 Yankees, I'm tired of waiting. 

36 minutes ago, Black Francis said:

What’s stooopid is thinking this could happen. C’mon man. This is made up BS and you know it. Now you’re co-signing it? 

We've checked in on him so not sure why the thought is stupid. Not too mention everything we are talking about is hypothetical anyway.

Bottom line though, just tired of Dansby.

9 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

Seems to me you’re just tired.. so.. get some sleep..

Nah just forgot most of you guys get bent when Dansby isn't praised for his mediocre talent.

Nah just forgot most of you guys get bent when Dansby isn't praised for his mediocre talent.

Well you do have a knack for underestimating youth.. 

Falconsfan567 likes this

1 minute ago, TheTrue7 said:

Well you do have a knack for underestimating youth.. 

No, I just don't believe in keeping "what if's" when someone will give you someone who's already established. 

It isn't possible to underestimate Dansby, he is who he is. Even with his inflated defense his WAR is still lower than a guy we just put on the bench.

19 minutes ago, Malachore said:

No, I just don't believe in keeping "what if's" when someone will give you someone who's already established. 

It isn't possible to underestimate Dansby, he is who he is. Even with his inflated defense his WAR is still lower than a guy we just put on the bench.

Entering his what 4th season as a professional i'm all good, he will work it out. These injuries have hampered him over the past 2 seasons 

43 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Sorry, year 5. I'm also counting 2014 which would make it 6, it was a losing season so why would I not.

idc if we are ahead of the '27 Yankees, I'm tired of waiting. 

The 2014 team was the exact same team from 2013 except for McCann and Hudson. Had the 2014 team not bombed then maybe the thought of ripping it apart and rebuilding never even happens. But when the team tanked it was pretty easy to look and see that the future was pretty bleak unless something major was done. Thus the rebuild, which it took only 4 years to return to the playoffs. That's pretty d@mn remarkable.